GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 01:34 PM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Keyless Entry

my gs400 came with the valet key only
i called Lexus and they said i would need a new ecu ($1000) to go with a new keyless entry($200) then i hung up on them

were can i buy an aftermarket keyless entry remote for my car without installing an aftermarket alarm?

hate having to open the door with the key everytime
Old 07-01-09, 06:48 PM
HuyMan751
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no way for you to go aftermarket i believe be the lexus has a very unique ecu where if you lose the master key the whole ecu gotta be replaced for a new keyless entry:-( so it's either you replace the ecu or you stay with your valet:-) that's one thing you must look out for on these Gs400, never buy one unless theres a master key:-)
Good Luck
Old 07-01-09, 10:25 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

you should try calling around to your local locksmiths. Hopefully you'll find one skilled on Lexuses.
They may be able to flash the existing ecu with their locksmith magic for cheaper then the dealer quote to replace the unit.

Search the internet ("lexus ecu or ecm reflash") and you'll find locksmiths that will do this by mail, but it'll probably be easier if you can find someone local to do it so you don't need to remove parts yourself and make sure everything works in one shot.

example I found:
http://www.a-1mobilelockandkey.com/l...ngservice.html
or
http://www.toy-lex.com
or
http://www.transponderkeys.net/ser_lexustoyota.html
...many others

Last edited by raytseng; 07-01-09 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-01-09, 10:53 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my car came with 1 key.

i bought a blank chipped key + remote off ebay.

i had it cut locally, and the ebay seller even provided instructions on programming the key (you like hit the unlock and lock something like 5 times, touch ur nose, do the macarena and country line dance) some sort of thing like that, i dont quite remember...

but if i remember correctly, the key+remote (denso) cost about 70 bucks, cutting cost me about $20 bucks, programming was free (did it myself via the instructions)

dealer wanted 350 for the key, 50 bucks for programming, 50 for cutting.
Old 07-02-09, 05:08 AM
Trav7414
Intermediate

You can get aftermarket key off ebay and cut them at the dealer(I have Sewell of Fort Worth cut it twice and charge me like $15 each). Second, you also can buy an already cut key off ebay with a tramsmitter(make sure it's the correct part numbers for your car). Put the transmitter into your new cut key and use your wallet key to re-program your key(you can use the tramsmitter that come with the wallet key to re-program your master key), just put the tramsitter next to the ignition when they tell you to put your master key in. Trust me I don't it before and they work. Not that I don't have a master key, but I try it before and they work. Good luck!!
Old 07-02-09, 07:38 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Trav7414
You can get aftermarket key off ebay and cut them at the dealer(I have Sewell of Fort Worth cut it twice and charge me like $15 each). Second, you also can buy an already cut key off ebay with a tramsmitter(make sure it's the correct part numbers for your car). Put the transmitter into your new cut key and use your wallet key to re-program your key(you can use the tramsmitter that come with the wallet key to re-program your master key), just put the tramsitter next to the ignition when they tell you to put your master key in. Trust me I don't it before and they work. Not that I don't have a master key, but I try it before and they work. Good luck!!
So let me get this straight, when initially programming the new master key... you put your new cut master key (without new transponder in) into the ignition and had the valet key next to it so that the car would read the valet transponder? In sense this would be the first part where they ask you to put in your old master key in.

Last edited by joshoowa; 07-02-09 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-02-09, 08:35 AM
HuyMan751
Driver School Candidate

i believe you have to have the exisiting master key to program a new key.
Old 07-02-09, 08:52 AM
Trav7414
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joshoowa
So let me get this straight, when initially programming the new master key... you put your new cut master key (without new transponder in) into the ignition and had the valet key next to it so that the car would read the valet transponder? In sense this would be the first part where they ask you to put in your old master key in.
I forgot what the instruction tell you what to put in but when they tell you to put in your wallet key make sure the transponder is next to the igintion(just like when you try to start your car using the wallet key you need to put the transponder next to the ignition). I believe the instruction tells you to put the master key in first(this case you put in your wallet key with the transponder next to it). Basically, the transponder is the main thing here. You don't need a Master key to do it.

Just follow the instructions and when they tell you to put the master key in, you use your wallet key+transponder that goes with the wallet next to each other.
Old 07-02-09, 10:12 AM
raytseng
Instructor

2 points:
1) You WILL need a master key otherwise you will need to get ecu/ecm work done.
2) The card key (wallet key) is a master key. It is not the same as a valet key.

The http://www.toy-lex.com site seems to have the programming instructions, although searching CL will also bring up random instructions.
Old 07-02-09, 10:29 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Champstar
my gs400 came with the valet key only
i called Lexus and they said i would need a new ecu ($1000) to go with a new keyless entry($200) then i hung up on them

were can i buy an aftermarket keyless entry remote for my car without installing an aftermarket alarm?

hate having to open the door with the key everytime
you are pretty screwed. without the master key you will need a new ecu w/ matching transponder key.
Old 07-02-09, 11:42 AM
Trav7414
Intermediate

Originally Posted by raytseng
2 points:
1) You WILL need a master key otherwise you will need to get ecu/ecm work done.
2) The card key (wallet key) is a master key. It is not the same as a valet key.

The http://www.toy-lex.com site seems to have the programming instructions, although searching CL will also bring up random instructions.
I don't know what's the different between the 2, but I only have one that sit in my glove box that snap onto and plastic card with a little transponer chip on the card. Is that wallet or valet?
Old 07-02-09, 12:02 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trav7414
I don't know what's the different between the 2, but I only have one that sit in my glove box that snap onto and plastic card with a little transponer chip on the card. Is that wallet or valet?
That is a wallet key/card key. It is also a master key. It is not a valet key
Old 07-02-09, 01:59 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raytseng
That is a wallet key/card key. It is also a master key. It is not a valet key
only if the case holder has a transponder in it. Unless it came with the car brand new from the Lexus dealer, there are versions of the plastic wallet key holder does not have a transponder inside.
Old 07-02-09, 04:10 PM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what if i install an aftermarket alarm in my car?
will that allow the use of keyless entry?

(had it done on a 99 Acura CL 3.0 before)
Old 07-02-09, 06:17 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK
you are pretty screwed. without the master key you will need a new ecu w/ matching transponder key.
x2.....if i remember right....there was a post bout they (dealers) would cover the cost of ONE free replacement ecu if you bought the key from them. i dunno i had a master and bought a spare from sewell for like 118 and programmed it myself

Quick Reply: Need Keyless Entry