GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Install LOC at sub or before amp (which wires?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-09, 02:36 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Install LOC at sub or before amp (which wires?)

I've done enough searching...I give up!!

I'm installing the line output converter--I've read to splice into the sub wires before they get to the factory amp (if so, which wires), and I've read it's OK to use the amplified signal at the sub but there's only like 30-80hz there.

Which is correct?
Old 06-28-09, 09:47 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seafoam green and brown.
Old 06-28-09, 11:29 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm guessing seafoam green is the positive sub speaker wire going into the amp and brown is negative?
Old 06-28-09, 11:34 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Yep...It is.
Old 06-28-09, 02:25 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

disconnect your sub in theback and wire it straight to that. it has a sub output already. just convert it to RCA. then plug it into your amp then to the sub.

Last edited by VNN326; 06-28-09 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-28-09, 02:30 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Then you're amping post amp.
Old 01-15-10, 08:23 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LOLthxKbye
disconnect your sub in theback and wire it straight to that. it has a sub output already. just convert it to RCA. then plug it into your amp then to the sub.
There are four wires coming out of LOC. 2 of them + (positive) and 2 of the - (negative). Do I just combine two positive/negative from LOC together and then conacct them to positive/negative subwoofer wires?
Old 01-16-10, 08:47 AM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Yea This is exactly what I dud combine two + together and two - together
Old 01-16-10, 09:52 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

splice and solder the LOCs wires just before the sub terminals. one + and one - to each side. Then, once you have everything connected, run it at low volume to make sure you have the wires correct going into the subs. If you put a - where the + should be, the subs will suck in first, then push out, thus RUINING your bass response.
Old 01-16-10, 10:07 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
If you put a - where the + should be, the subs will suck in first, then push out, thus RUINING your bass response.
This is not a hard and fast rule, however. Just because the subs are out of phase does not mean it will ruin the response. Subs are simply moving air. Provided you have a single sub, it's doubtful you'd even notice it's out of phase (especially in a trunk). If you have 2 subs, so long as they are wired the same way with regard to polarity, it will not automatically ruin the response. It is good practice to have it hooked up correctly, but in the event the LOC is hooked up improperly and feeding the signal to the amp in reverse polarity, there is an easy fix - wire the outputs in reverse polarity as well.

Big Mack
Old 01-16-10, 10:14 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
This is not a hard and fast rule, however. Just because the subs are out of phase does not mean it will ruin the response. Subs are simply moving air. Provided you have a single sub, it's doubtful you'd even notice it's out of phase (especially in a trunk). If you have 2 subs, so long as they are wired the same way with regard to polarity, it will not automatically ruin the response. It is good practice to have it hooked up correctly, but in the event the LOC is hooked up improperly and feeding the signal to the amp in reverse polarity, there is an easy fix - wire the outputs in reverse polarity as well.

Big Mack
if your subs are sucking in first vs. pushing out first, the output will be muddy and horrible. The subs are designed to deliver punchy, clear bass by pushing out first.

Wiring the outputs in reverse polarity with regard to the LOC is the exact same thing as changing the polarity of the sub input wires, just on the other side.
Old 01-16-10, 05:24 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

if your subs are sucking in first vs. pushing out first, the output will be muddy and horrible. The subs are designed to deliver punchy, clear bass by pushing out first.
Again, not all the time. You cannot make the generalization that hooking the subs up in reverse polarity will make them sound "muddy and horrible" with every single sub. We used to have to switch polarity on subs all the time when tuning, so I know for a fact that this is not the case. Can it be the case? Yes, if the sub is designed to have high forward excursion and a bumped back plate to give more forward area for the voice coil to stay in the gap. Are most people running high excursion subs that are designed almost exclusively for SPL? No, I would say they are not, because most subs are not designed with a bumped back plate.

Wiring the outputs in reverse polarity with regard to the LOC is the exact same thing as changing the polarity of the sub input wires, just on the other side.
I know this, and that's why if you re-read what I stated, it is to correct the problem of hooking up the LOC with reverse polarity. If both are hooked up reversed, it is the same as hooking them up in standard polarity.

Big Mack
Old 01-16-10, 05:35 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with Big Mack, most HU have this option, as it is a great tool for tunning!
Old 05-28-10, 01:47 AM
txraised
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
I've done enough searching...I give up!!

I'm installing the line output converter--I've read to splice into the sub wires before they get to the factory amp (if so, which wires), and I've read it's OK to use the amplified signal at the sub but there's only like 30-80hz there.

Which is correct?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Which will give me the most thump?
Originally Posted by Sheehan1p
Yea This is exactly what I dud combine two + together and two - together
splice and solder the LOCs wires just before the sub terminals. one + and one - to each side.
^^This sounds the opposite of how Sheehan1p wires are connected or am I misunderstanding? Is jcatGS3 saying to connect one + and one - together from the LOC and then connect that to one of the spliced sub wires... Or does he mean one(pair of)+ and one(pair of)- to each side(of sub terminals), like Sheehan1p and krispl first stated.
Can someone please make this clear to me, want to install this weekend, thanks
Old 05-28-10, 03:06 AM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

save yourself the trouble of burning something up, I know your one of those DIY guys most of us are, but when it comes to electrical, and its still complicated, evan after 14 diff members help, Bro just take it to a local shop!
BTW what part of texas you from?

Quick Reply: Install LOC at sub or before amp (which wires?)