GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rip-off Lease? $761.66 for 48 Months GS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-02, 05:42 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ceoart

I was under a great deal of pressure to Lease the GS430 since my GS400 was destroyed by the flood. I was driving a rent a car after the flood and they told me they did not have many cars left because lots of other people had their cars destroyed by the flood. Felt like they took advantage of this situation caused by the flood.
CEOART, we all have these situations where we wish we could go back in time and change things. You are not alone.

I know you are enjoying your GS and maybe in the end that is what counts. We're all here for you!

Old 03-31-02, 05:51 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

Originally posted by lexguynj

CEOART, we all have these situations where we wish we could go back in time and change things. You are not alone.

I know you are enjoying your GS and maybe in the end that is what counts. We're all here for you!

I see your point. Just wanted to see if they excessively overcharged me in my Lease and made me put down an unreasonable large Security deposit. The State of Florida has laws against deceiving customers in Leases and wanted to see if I had a good case to present to the State.
Old 03-31-02, 06:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally posted by ceoart
I was under a great deal of pressure to Lease the GS430 since my GS400 was destroyed by the flood. I was driving a rent a car after the flood and they told me they did not have many cars left because lots of other people had their cars destroyed by the flood. Felt like they took advantage of this situation caused by the flood.
Sorry to hear that... that's kind of an 'under duress' situation.

But if the dealer claimed they were running out of cars, that's a typical 'line' and rental cars for a month or two more are cheap compared to higher than normal car payments.
Old 03-31-02, 06:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally posted by mooretorque
if someone is willing and savvy enough to play the lease game ...

But most of the time leasees take it in the shorts and I, as you, suspect that most are living beyond their means.
Yup, thanks.

Nothing beats the "negotiate best deal, write one check that you didn't borrow money for" method, though.
Yup!

Example... I bought my 4 door 6 speed Legend GS new in '94 for about $37K I think. I sold it 6 years later $17K. That's only $278 a month. Also, the $17K against the $52K for the GS400 made things easier. Granted I got lucky and used some quick kill money I made in the internet insanity (thanks eBay and Yahoo! ) and bought the rest cash.

Sure is nice not having payments...
Old 03-31-02, 07:14 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Without a doubt, paying cash is the cheapest way to go. However, the majority of us probably don't have that option. I still don't think leasing necessary equates to living beyond your means. Like I said earlier, I was originally leasing my vehicle, but after a few months I got bit by the "mod bug" and also realized that I enjoyed driving the car too much to be concerned about excess mileage, so I decided to purchase (finance) it. At no time would I have been considered living beyond my means. I by no means rich, but I have a brand new home, able to put food on the table, pay the bills and save for retirement.
Old 03-31-02, 07:18 PM
JPritch
Rookie

CeoArt, if you want, try to dump your lease at SwapALease.com
Old 03-31-02, 09:00 PM
ATLgs4
Driver

Hey Bit, i understand what u are saying about paying cash for vehicles in that you dont have to worry about payments. But i dont agree that you should always do that. You are tying up money that could be invested elsewhere. I assume you meant that you yourself made huge gains in the stock market that afforded you to buy your car with cash??? what if you had invested that money again. I understand that the stock market is a huge gamble in the short term, but more conservative investments would still give you an advantage over locking it into an entity that will undoubtedly lose value (your car). I think in most cases, you should rent (lease) anything that will loose value and buy anything that will go up in value.
Old 04-10-02, 09:56 AM
mmeyerkopf
Driver School Candidate

That seems VERY high to me. I just leased a 2001 for $630 per month which includes tax. I put $1400 down and got 15,000 miles per year. The lease term is for 39 Months.
Old 04-10-02, 03:08 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Thats what my dad, a one time financial planner, was telling me. He said its better to invest your money then to tie it all down to a car. He also feels that its better to lease a car for a few years then buying and then after 4 years its started needing major matainace...I mean seriously, our lexus's could go for 3 yrs only needing an oil change, fluids topped or swapped, and a rotation. After that is the big money maintaince....

Originally posted by ATLgs4
Hey Bit, i understand what u are saying about paying cash for vehicles in that you dont have to worry about payments. But i dont agree that you should always do that. You are tying up money that could be invested elsewhere. I assume you meant that you yourself made huge gains in the stock market that afforded you to buy your car with cash??? what if you had invested that money again. I understand that the stock market is a huge gamble in the short term, but more conservative investments would still give you an advantage over locking it into an entity that will undoubtedly lose value (your car). I think in most cases, you should rent (lease) anything that will loose value and buy anything that will go up in value.
Old 04-10-02, 03:22 PM
LexFather

This thread is good stuff. I was not raised to lease either, I'd rather OWN something, as in Bit's case you can use it as collateral or to get something better.

Hmmm, trade-off, save/invest some now and enjoy a GS4 TODAY or save/invest a bunch now and get a GS4 LATER?

I guess that is what makes life beautiful, we have CHOICES!