GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

stock air box mod complete and SWEET!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 03:42 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you wont notice any decrease in TRq down low because hes still using a K&N filter, IMO this set up will produce just as much power as SRT or K&N intakes nothing special about them, plus it will suck in much cooler air. Great DYI and i will be doing this shorty here.
Old 06-17-09, 04:39 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Nice trick, very clever. Beware when it rains...
Old 06-17-09, 06:47 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

or car wash...i bet that on escaped some of us.
Old 06-18-09, 01:56 PM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there any positive or negative effects on gas mileage?
Old 06-18-09, 05:13 PM
blaknight
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Champstar
is there any positive or negative effects on gas mileage?
So far I seem to be right about where I was before. Around 21mpg split between freeway and city
Old 06-18-09, 06:57 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice DIY...
Old 06-18-09, 08:12 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MDSC
you wont notice any decrease in TRq down low because hes still using a K&N filter, IMO this set up will produce just as much power as SRT or K&N intakes nothing special about them, plus it will suck in much cooler air. Great DYI and i will be doing this shorty here.
You should net more gains with the SRT since it utilizes an aftermarket computer.
Old 06-19-09, 08:19 AM
blaknight
Rookie

Originally Posted by pingu
You should net more gains with the SRT since it utilizes an aftermarket computer.
I'm pretty sure the only thing the computer does is makes proper adjustments for the larger pipe diameter on the SRT set-up so you won't get any CEL codes.

Now if only the computer chip for the SRT could change the temperature of all the hot air getting sucked in, then I might be sold on it's design....
Old 06-21-09, 10:52 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blaknight
I'm pretty sure the only thing the computer does is makes proper adjustments for the larger pipe diameter on the SRT set-up so you won't get any CEL codes.

Now if only the computer chip for the SRT could change the temperature of all the hot air getting sucked in, then I might be sold on it's design....
exactly only thing that turns me off about k&N and SRT
Old 06-21-09, 10:54 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pingu
let me rephrase myself then, his set up with SAFC vs any intake out there with SAFC or SRT ECU. I doubt theres any diffrence.
Old 06-21-09, 11:00 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sam430
or car wash...i bet that on escaped some of us.
i guess none of you have ever heard of such thing as RamAir equiped cars with functional holes cut out in hoods and filters sitting right below, now problems The fact its not even pointed straight in the bumber, the OP has already stated that the tube points down. It is also about 6-10" away from the ground so he would have to go offroading in his car through a lake in order to suck in water. On top of all that IF there is anytype of water being sucked, is filter would prevent it from entering the engine.
Water cannot easily travel upstream, so the carwash idea is also no good, he would have to sit in his car and keep it on the revlimiter while going through a carwash that is spraying high pressure water at 45 degree angle into his bumper grill.
Old 06-22-09, 02:12 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blaknight

What it does is correctly regulate the air and fuel mixture using what people have said to be just an SAFC. What you did is cut a hole and ran tube down into the fog light area.

IMO, I do not believe this has actually increased your performance as much as correctly tuning the air to fuel mixture like the SRT will. The stock air snorkel also draws "cool" air from outside of the car.

Just an FYI, the headlight and fog light both generate a considerable amount of heat. Hopefully you wont have any problems with melting the plastic tube.

Last edited by pingu; 06-22-09 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-22-09, 05:19 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

wow your performance knowledge is priceless
Old 06-22-09, 07:45 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Interesting mod thats for sure for as cheap as it is cant hurt to try. The srt intake comes with a chip that "tunes" the car so you get the most performance out of their intake if i were to spend the money for one (whenever i get a gs) i most likely would get the srt. Has anyone dynoed with the srt intake?
Old 06-22-09, 09:00 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrboolet
Has anyone dynoed with the srt intake?

Yes,
do a search and you should find dynos on SRT, K&N, etc.

A couple of years ago we tested 4 cars where we swapped our intakes and dynoed the changes. I was going to post the actual numbers on this thread, but it was so long ago I couldn't find all the dyno sheet comparisons. I would need to go back to everyone that did the runs with me, but that would take time for me to gather. All the cars dynoed on the same dynojet and all cars had headers and some type of aftermarket exhaust.

As I recall we tested the SRT, K & N w/ SAFC, RMM and a drop in OEM aftermarket filter.

The order I just listed is also the order in which the filters achieved the most power.

As for this add on intake mod, to make any sense you should add a better flowing aftermarket drop in filter. The filter is the limiting factor in this mod. If anything it's the increased Intake noise from adding the hole that is giving the "impression" of more power at high speed. This last statement is not just my opinion, it's been commented on the umpteen threads talking about intake driving impressions over the years. I'm not a big fan of Butt-o-meter reviews as peoples butts are not well calibrated to measure real world power gains.

In any case if you have the S&S headers, then combining it with the SRT is going to give the most power gain.

Now how these aftermarket filters will perform under non-dyno, hi-heat conditions with the hood closed, well their performance will surely be affected to some extent. It would be interesting to dyno the SRT or K&N against the stock box with a drop in aftermarket filter, under these conditions.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-22-09 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: stock air box mod complete and SWEET!