GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

weird door/remote lock/light problem.need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 03:10 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts
Default weird door/remote lock/light problem.need help ASAP

so i get up to go to work this morning @ 11 and i notice something odd as im driving to work. my cluster is dimmed out like its still night, i try turning on/off headlights and nothing changes it. ALSO the green light on indicator stayed on even when i had the lights turned off. well bout 10 mins l8r i notice the cluster comes on and stayed on for bout 5 mins, then flickered to a dimness again then came back on and stayed that way. ok so i get to work and forget bout it thinking maybe my car was being quirky or something.

so i get off work and im coming out and trying to use the remote to unroll my windows and open the sunroof to let some heat out and NOTHING happened. if i clicked the unlock button nothing happened if i held the unlock button NOTHING happened. so i go manually unlock the drivers door (didnt check to see if it was locked) and try to use the interior unlock/lock button to unlock the door. guess what NOTHING happened. so i loaded my groceries and started driving home, on the way home, i tried the windows. oddly ONLY the drivers window would roll down/up. also i noticed when i stopped to get gas the dome light doesn't come on when i open the doors but if i manually switch it to on, it comes on.

if i hit the lock button on my remote, the turn signals flash (inside and outside the car) but it will not lock any of my doors although the trunk DOES still pop open from the remote.ok so before you'll even say its a actuator, i don't believe it to be as i should be able to lock/unlock one of the doors with either the remote or the inside buttons if it was a actuator...i mean come on all 4 of my actuators didnt go out.

the dome/remote did work last night i know for a fact and i did check ALL the fuses related to anything on the cluster, remote, doors,windows and all of them were still good so help me out guys im lost.

ne1 have any thoughts or ideas here?
Old 06-14-09, 05:08 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

well if any1 has ne ideas please let me know
Old 06-15-09, 06:36 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

ok was hoping to get some help/advice/ideas from some of you....

problem is getting weird thing i may have figured it out. so last night i to go the drive in and last 2 days we have had tornados and rain running through town so its been hard rain. well i get 1 mile from my house and bam everything starts working again....then poof all the same things stop working. i get to the drive in and were watching the hangover and i go to roll my back windows down and they dont move. 10 mins l8r they work....

so im thinking i have one of 2 things going on. one i have a loose wire but on what i have NO idea, or cause of the hard rain, something got wet and as it dried it starting work right. although i noticed no water in the car except a puddle in the trunk bout the size of a half dollar but i think my trunk has always leaked so i dont think thats it. since then it hasnt happened yet....but im waiting. so really no1 has any ideas or thoughts here?

Last edited by sakataj; 06-15-09 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-15-09, 09:59 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Somebody upload the BCM from the Repair Manuals for him.
Old 06-21-09, 11:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Somebody upload the BCM from the Repair Manuals for him.
bcm?

well week l8r no issues....something must seriously be getting wet
Old 06-21-09, 11:30 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Body Control Module. There is a fuse for this on the passenger's right kick panel. I forgot the fuse name but I think it has the word ECU on it. So if you disconnect it, it would reset.
Old 06-21-09, 11:54 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have/had the same problem. It comes and goes. MY, maybe not yours is my driver side window switch board. I have had alot of problems with this.

Like you, The windows dont go down, the clusters are the wrong settings (day/night). Sometimes when I start the car, I have to wait a second for the cluster to light up and to shift from P, and everything else you lsited.. TO isolate the problem I disconnected the driver side window switch and everything went away. When I attached it back all the problems were back.

YOUR problem might now be isolated to that one area, but something else that is electrical has gotten wet/gone haywire and interrupting some cycle within the ECU. It seemed as though my car was trying to recognize the haywire board before starting up, which caused a delay in the lighting up of the cluster.

Just something to think about/ check out.
Old 06-21-09, 11:56 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

BTW, when i had my rpoblems, to get something to work, this is what i did.

If I wanted the passenger side window down, I would press the switch down, then press the window lock/unlock button, then the window would go down an inch. Repeat process lol. Same for the locks, if they froze, all i did was press lock, then window lock/unlock, and the doors would lock.
Old 06-22-09, 02:47 AM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a custom sound system? My friend's car (not a GS) had the electrical system get messed up because either his system was drawing too much power from the battery for an extended period of time, or something like that.
Old 06-22-09, 09:25 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I short in the electrical system is a bad culprit to deal with.
Old 06-22-09, 10:58 AM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then again I think the electrical system problem is only if you're pumping the music the whole time... or if ur amps are drawing a lot of power constantly.
Old 06-24-09, 05:16 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Body Control Module. There is a fuse for this on the passenger's right kick panel. I forgot the fuse name but I think it has the word ECU on it. So if you disconnect it, it would reset.
but that doesn't FIX my problem....just resolves the issues which arent happening now anyways

Originally Posted by TomLee
I have/had the same problem. It comes and goes. MY, maybe not yours is my driver side window switch board. I have had alot of problems with this.

Like you, The windows dont go down, the clusters are the wrong settings (day/night). Sometimes when I start the car, I have to wait a second for the cluster to light up and to shift from P, and everything else you listed.. TO isolate the problem I disconnected the driver side window switch and everything went away. When I attached it back all the problems were back.

YOUR problem might now be isolated to that one area, but something else that is electrical has gotten wet/gone haywire and interrupting some cycle within the ECU. It seemed as though my car was trying to recognize the haywire board before starting up, which caused a delay in the lighting up of the cluster.

Just something to think about/ check out.
thanks...yeah im thinking its gonna end up being something like this. i have NEVER had it happen before the tornado's and it hasn't repeated itself since so i dunno what it is. but it was on/off for like 2 days but nothing since

Originally Posted by TomLee
BTW, when i had my problems, to get something to work, this is what i did.

If I wanted the passenger side window down, I would press the switch down, then press the window lock/unlock button, then the window would go down an inch. Repeat process lol. Same for the locks, if they froze, all i did was press lock, then window lock/unlock, and the doors would lock.
mine wouldnt do anything no matter which direction i tried to make it go

Originally Posted by azntalldud
Do you have a custom sound system? My friend's car (not a GS) had the electrical system get messed up because either his system was drawing too much power from the battery for an extended period of time, or something like that.
no not yet, i don't....i will soon (im in the middle of something though)

I short in the electrical system is a bad culprit to deal with.
yup....but i don't believe that's what it is. it is possible but i don't think so

Originally Posted by azntalldud
Then again I think the electrical system problem is only if you're pumping the music the whole time... or if ur amps are drawing a lot of power constantly.
they will be drawing TONS of power soon...im swithcing up again. gonna be pounding out hopefully a few thousand watts of power to my stereo but nothing but oem right now. slowed down since my injuries at work and minor surgeries. but now that im healing up im getting antsy again (although i started a new project since i couldnt work on my car....its my new tatoo)

another appointment this saturday and then maybe 1-2 more
Old 06-24-09, 07:14 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

just realized my pics are huge on here... lol oops
Old 01-06-11, 06:22 AM
epic1si
Rookie

did you ever figure this out..mine just recently started doing the same exact thing.
Old 01-06-11, 11:08 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so this was what your PM was about....i forgot bout this

yeah i figured it out mine was/is a leaking windshield. we dove more into this info on this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ible-leak.html

BTW i finished that chest piece (not the best pic but you get the idea) and im starting to work on my 3/4 sleeve

Quick Reply: weird door/remote lock/light problem.need help ASAP