GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

well i f-ed up...i broke something last night

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-09, 07:49 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts
Default well i f-ed up...i broke something last night

i normally never get on, on the weekends but ita raining and i cant work on the car as my garage is full....oh yeah i decided to be a nice boss and take one of my employees home last night as his parents were running VERY late...well he's 19 and after stopping by schucks to pick up some ice cream for the kiddo's. he was like....man this thing is fast (he's 19 so everything is fast even a very heavy 4 door sedan) and was like spin the tires. so i took off my traction control and dropped it in 1st and spun then for bout 6 seconds or long enough to make some smoke. stopped after that...put traction back on and took a right...
heard a odd pop like i just ran over something with my now sticky tires and it was sticking to the tire...started whirring (sorry best way to describe it) pulled over and broke out flashlight and couldnt find nething..so started heading home (i lived like 3 mins from where i was and was just gonna take other car) well noise was growing louder...stopped like 6 more times and STILL saw nothing under the car/in/on the tires. put it in reverse and i heard a pop noise, put it in drive and again heard a pop noise.
i didnt wanna wait the 45 mins for AAA to come since i was 2 mins from home...so i popped on flashers and limper her home. she didnt like right turns but that was bout it besides the noise.backed her up into driveway, got other car took kid home and came back. jacked up car thinking i snapped a tie rod and didnt see ANYTHING noticeably broken. UGH. when rain quits im gonna look again.

moral of the story...on a friday night dont be the douchebag spinning your tires to even impress some employee. will update when i found out what i broke....probably be monday or l8r.

always nice to have JUST spent 2-3k in audio parts (yeah JUST parts),800 for my g35 19's, 4-5 hundred in LEDS, and a misc 1-1.5k here and NOW i break something

edit: i forgot NO CEL lights present...so im thinking suspension part or if im REALLY unlucky the axle or diff but im leaning more towards a suspension part or axle

Last edited by sakataj; 04-18-09 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-18-09, 08:32 AM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a carrier bearing for sure!
Old 04-18-09, 09:00 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by timgs300
That's a carrier bearing for sure!
thats a new part to me...never actually heard of that. what does it do, where is it? is it expensive? hard to fix? unsafe to drive on like that?
Old 04-18-09, 09:27 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your burnout misfortune. Was it a one wheeled wonder (no lsd on your car right>..) anyway. The carrier bearing is a PITA. IF it is that here is a link with what would be similar..

http://www.penguinhosting.net/~bigma...riveshaft.html
Old 04-18-09, 09:28 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nah, I think it's your johnson rod.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=johnson+rod
Old 04-18-09, 10:31 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like possibly something in the diff. Do you have an open diff stil? Was it only spinning one tire?
Old 04-18-09, 10:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSJake
Sorry to hear about your burnout misfortune. Was it a one wheeled wonder (no lsd on your car right>..) anyway. The carrier bearing is a PITA. IF it is that here is a link with what would be similar..

http://www.penguinhosting.net/~bigma...riveshaft.html
actually wasn't caused by the burnout. im sure that started the chain of events....or at least it didn't happen till like a min or so after the burnout. i did the burnout, stopped waited on oncoming traffic to go by and then turned right....about 30 secs later i heard it
that's correct....no LSD. for me or the car

so how costly is this part? ne1? nething else it could be?

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Nah, I think it's your johnson rod.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=johnson+rod
yeah negative on that one sir

Originally Posted by macd7919
Sounds like possibly something in the diff. Do you have an open diff stil? Was it only spinning one tire?
yeah thats what im hoping it not to be....i have OEM diff....so if OEM is open then yes open. yeah only one was as i know we don't have a factory lsd and i have never put one in

to myself...
Old 04-18-09, 11:13 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try to jack the car up with both wheels off the ground (safely) and have friend sit ibside with the car in drive and the wheels slowly turning to see if you hear the noise.

People always say it's bad to do one wheel burnout (one tire fire )for an extended time but I have never actually seen a diff go out directly because of it.

If it's the diff this will be the perfect time to upgrade to an LSD (oem out of a Supra TT auto would be the most cost effective option).

P.s- I dont think it's a carrier bearing based on the fact it is a different feel/sound depending on which way you turn. That sounds like a diff issue as when you turn one wheel is spinning slower than the other in order to make the turn, the place where it effectively does this is in the diff where the "distribution" of power happens. I also wouldn't suspect it to be a suspension issue either as if you were just sitting there doing a burnout then your suspension was static and wasn't moving so I doubt anything would break with the suspension. I guess it could possibly be an axle but they usually don't just fail all of a sudden, they are more of a cycle failure type of part (aside from snapping on, ahem.. cough *Honda*cough ).

When you have the car jacked up as I mentioned before, try to drain a little fluid out of the diff and see if it looks burnt or has any metal shavings in it. If you are handy just due a full flush and fluid change. Drain the fluid from the bottom of the diff, then put the drain plug back in and fill from the upper plug until the fluid just starts to run out of the upper plug and then put the plug back in and your done.

Last edited by macd7919; 04-18-09 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-18-09, 03:03 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Brian, hope it's nothing too expensive.

If it's the diff this will be the perfect time to upgrade to an LSD (oem out of a Supra TT auto would be the most cost effective option).
I gotta agree with this philosophy, if it's broken upgrade it! Hopefully it's nothing that bad in your case.
Old 04-18-09, 05:49 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you smell it? Wouldn't it smell burnt?
Old 04-19-09, 02:36 AM
mustafakha
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sad to hear that happened to ur baby... hope u have it sorted out soon...
Old 04-19-09, 04:43 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
It doesn't matter what you smell.

The diff is what's cookin....
Old 04-20-09, 10:05 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Try to jack the car up with both wheels off the ground (safely) and have friend sit ibside with the car in drive and the wheels slowly turning to see if you hear the noise.

People always say it's bad to do one wheel burnout (one tire fire )for an extended time but I have never actually seen a diff go out directly because of it.

P.s- I dont think it's a carrier bearing based on the fact it is a different feel/sound depending on which way you turn. That sounds like a diff issue as when you turn one wheel is spinning slower than the other in order to make the turn, the place where it effectively does this is in the diff where the "distribution" of power happens. I also wouldn't suspect it to be a suspension issue either as if you were just sitting there doing a burnout then your suspension was static and wasn't moving so I doubt anything would break with the suspension. I guess it could possibly be an axle but they usually don't just fail all of a sudden, they are more of a cycle failure type of part (aside from snapping on, ahem.. cough *Honda*cough ).

When you have the car jacked up as I mentioned before, try to drain a little fluid out of the diff and see if it looks burnt or has any metal shavings in it. If you are handy just due a full flush and fluid change. Drain the fluid from the bottom of the diff, then put the drain plug back in and fill from the upper plug until the fluid just starts to run out of the upper plug and then put the plug back in and your done.
yeah i think i learned my lesson....and i remember the honda axle days...sigh

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Brian, hope it's nothing too expensive.
I gotta agree with this philosophy, if it's broken upgrade it! Hopefully it's nothing that bad in your case.
yeah i hope so too...i dont wanna upgrade as im already *** deep into a stereo build and im getting strapped

Originally Posted by mustafakha
sad to hear that happened to ur baby... hope u have it sorted out soon...
me to but its my own dumb fault....she's at the shop right now. should hear something back either late today or tomorrow....i hope

Originally Posted by sam430
didnt smell anything when i was under her but i didnt open the diff so i dunno

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It doesn't matter what you smell.

The diff is what's cookin....
ok that did make me laugh
Old 04-20-09, 11:16 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the differential. Hate to hear, but do not beat yourself up over it. We are on this board because we are enthusiast and sometimes we like to have a little fun. It would have probably happened sooner or later.
Old 04-20-09, 11:57 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow...sucks...let us know what the problem is.

Btw...how'd your stb fit? I spoke to CK6speed...and he says you got lots of spacing. Post up some pics.

Pete

Quick Reply: well i f-ed up...i broke something last night