GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Damaged Door Chrome Trim And Door

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-22, 01:19 AM
AnytimeGS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged Door Chrome Trim And Door

i just bought a 2GS and there are some imperfections that im planning on correcting.

So, look like someone attempted to break into the front passenger door of the car and it damaged the chrome trim on the door, also them forcefully prying the door to open, caused the door to be miss aligned. my questions is, how hard is it to replace the chrome trim and should i just get a new door? today i tried realigning the door but the door would not sit flush with with the body causing water to get in and wind noise too. its my daily and would like to do things right the correct way even if i have to buy new trims and a door.

i hope you guys can help me.
Old 09-24-22, 09:11 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by AnytimeGS
i just bought a 2GS and there are some imperfections that im planning on correcting.

So, look like someone attempted to break into the front passenger door of the car and it damaged the chrome trim on the door, also them forcefully prying the door to open, caused the door to be miss aligned. my questions is, how hard is it to replace the chrome trim and should i just get a new door? today i tried realigning the door but the door would not sit flush with with the body causing water to get in and wind noise too. its my daily and would like to do things right the correct way even if i have to buy new trims and a door.

i hope you guys can help me.
I would just try and fix it. Getting a new door means the paint wouldn’t match. I’ve replaced one door before on another car and it drove me crazy looking at it. Isn’t the chrome trim part of the car anyway? A new door probably won’t help if the leaking is coming from the chrome trim I see in that pic. Looks like it’s part of the car.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (09-26-22)
Old 09-24-22, 09:58 AM
AnytimeGS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the reply, but yea i was thinking the same hehe. im probably just going to get a new door, the chrome trim i guess would be fine its just the door having not closing all the way is causing leak. oh and today, check engine light came on with VSC OFF lights..
Old 09-24-22, 11:48 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts

A good body guy can straighten it out and have the paint work fixed replace everything and your insurance will pay for it, your probably looking at $1000 repair or whatever your deductible is. If you have full coverage, u want to get an estimate and if it’s substantially more than the deductible, you’ll want to pocket that money. It’s not a moving violation, amd shouldn’t effect your premiums unless you’ve already filed some claims. But then you’ll want to find a replacement door at car-part.com, u will be able to source a replacement door and get any other parts that were damaged, but often u can buy used doors with everything included. You want to find one in the correct color at whatever yard is closest to u. Then just And then spend your day off install it, try and mark the exact location of the hinges to use as a starting place to locate the replacement. Or if your not comfortable doing this comprehensive repair yourself just find a shop who will hang it level for u. And swap over any of the trim that needs to be installed it will probably be $100 for the door and $100 for a shop to install it. And it should be much quicker and then out better than having the original door painted and straightened.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (09-26-22)
Old 09-24-22, 12:19 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by AnytimeGS
thank you for the reply, but yea i was thinking the same hehe. im probably just going to get a new door, the chrome trim i guess would be fine its just the door having not closing all the way is causing leak. oh and today, check engine light came on with VSC OFF lights..
what’s the code for the check engine light. The VSC usually comes on when the check engine light does.