GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Remove cover on steering wheel audio control

Old 03-26-09, 08:02 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Remove cover on steering wheel audio control

i am trying to open the audio control unit on the steering wheel... i tried to search in the audio section too but all i find is how to incorporate the steering wheel controls to aftermarket HU...

i see there is a pin-sized hole on the back... last night i stuck a pin in there and moved it around but nothing popped off... i also tried flat head screwdriver on the sides with no success...

i am trying to get the cover off to see if i can change the light inside to match the rest of my LED interior color...
Old 03-27-09, 10:22 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
i am trying to open the audio control unit on the steering wheel... i tried to search in the audio section too but all i find is how to incorporate the steering wheel controls to aftermarket HU...

i see there is a pin-sized hole on the back... last night i stuck a pin in there and moved it around but nothing popped off... i also tried flat head screwdriver on the sides with no success...

i am trying to get the cover off to see if i can change the light inside to match the rest of my LED interior color...
hmm interesting thought. never thought bout matching those...wonder if i can do a brighter white led bulb in them...keep us posted
Old 04-02-09, 06:00 AM
kamlung
Instructor

^^^ i only thought of it because after converting the center console to all blue, then i did my mirror switch... i will do the window switches when it gets a bit warmer... i looked at the steering wheel and was like okay that dim white has to get changed...

but i still can't get the damn cover off.. anyone??? bueller???

Last edited by kamlung; 04-02-09 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-02-09, 08:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ i only thought of it because after converting the center console to all blue, then i did my mirror switch... i will do the window switches when it gets a bit warmer... i looked at the steering wheel and was like okay that dim white has to get changed...

but i still can't get the damn cover off.. anyone??? bueller???
where are pics of mirror switch? what bulbs do they take?
both these made me chuckle

Old 04-02-09, 10:48 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Originally Posted by sakataj
where are pics of mirror switch? what bulbs do they take?
[/IMG]
ill take a pic tonight...

i don't know the exact size as i did it the same as my center climate control console and radio... led's soldered with the resistors on the stock OEM bases... i used a 5mm LED...

if you want to buy the bulb though, it is a neo-wedge... i don't know what size though...
Old 04-02-09, 06:52 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That thing is a P.O.S.! I did my interior all white leds, however I couldnt access these leds, and it pisses me off. I have popped off the track control, like track up/down, but not the cover. Let us know what you find out. I was affraid to break it....
Old 04-03-09, 10:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
That thing is a P.O.S.! I did my interior all white leds, however I couldnt access these leds, and it pisses me off. I have popped off the track control, like track up/down, but not the cover. Let us know what you find out. I was affraid to break it....
yeah i have the ML and the nav and when i opened up my face plate i saw all the lights were soldered on the board and i was like ok **** it nm...
Old 04-07-09, 01:38 PM
kamlung
Instructor

here is the mirror switch.. sorry it is dark... damn cam phone..

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
WTF??? noone here has swapped their steering wheel??? cmon fellas...

Originally Posted by sakataj
yeah i have the ML and the nav and when i opened up my face plate i saw all the lights were soldered on the board and i was like ok **** it nm...
just takes a bit of patience bro... here is my radio...i have to do the eject button, the two ***** and the right side traffic button...

Old 04-13-09, 06:57 AM
kamlung
Instructor

finally...

Old 04-13-09, 09:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so care to show the rest of us how you got it open?
Old 04-13-09, 09:54 AM
kamlung
Instructor

the cover is held on by 3 notches in the plastic... so have some care as to not break the tabs off... you need something small enough to go into the hole of the cover... i had a flathead screw driver that fit... and in order to get the tab over the notch, you need to pull the screwdriver butt towards you and to the left... it will also help if you have another flathead screw driver prying from the back of the cover in the middle...

this should pop the cover off... and then the actaul control unit is held to the steering wheel with 2 screws... and you should be able to see the airbag screw from here too... so this helps for anyone doing an airbag/steering wheel swap...

if that was still confusing, i can take some pics...
Old 04-13-09, 10:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

pics by any chance kam? bulb part # or bulb types?
Old 12-09-09, 03:02 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

the cover is held on by 3 notches in the plastic... so have some care as to not break the tabs off... you need something small enough to go into the hole of the cover... i had a flathead screw driver that fit... and in order to get the tab over the notch, you need to pull the screwdriver butt towards you and to the left... it will also help if you have another flathead screw driver prying from the back of the cover in the middle...

this should pop the cover off... and then the actaul control unit is held to the steering wheel with 2 screws... and you should be able to see the airbag screw from here too... so this helps for anyone doing an airbag/steering wheel swap...

if that was still confusing, i can take some pics...
actually used this last night when i was removing my steering wheel....KAM can u get me some better pics? and the bulb #'s and where u got them? i did my bulbs around my nav last night and now i wanna change these also