GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HID. not 4K not 6K not even 7K or 8K .. it's 12K

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-02, 06:56 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HID. not 4K not 6K not even 7K or 8K .. it's 12K

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postid=255424

Originally posted by a1exus
hah

someone just post 12k HID on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...070956&r=0&t=0

now that i found hard to belive
Old 03-09-02, 03:34 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

8-12k is insane
cops well be all over you
You don't have to pass a cop anymore he will see you 2 miles behind
Old 03-09-02, 03:52 PM
alexus
Pole Position

haha

nah nah

i think 12k is scam.. they just came out with 8k.. and this is already like super duper technology and sh it
Old 03-09-02, 04:22 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Default question...

I have a '99 GS4 with factory self-leveling HID.. what "k" are my lights? ..................Are you sure?

Midnite
Old 03-09-02, 05:13 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm 12000K lamps, the sad thing is that some poor sap will end up buying those and brag about having them. E-bay is the festering pool for con artists. I find it interesting that the comparison pics they provide show these purple lights to emit a daylight white beam onto the road. It's especially amusing that they think Hella makes a pair of ballasts for less than $490. I could post a 20,000K HID kit on there and it would sell. People somehow associate kelvin with brightness, and use it as the benchmark of quality. Once again, no such thing as an hid bulb above 6000K. A lot of people at the Philips lighting forums call up these companies that advertise alleged 7000K+ HIDs and tell them how they are lying to unload baited products. None of them even bother defending their products, they hang up or shout a stream of obsenities. The best bet is to buy HIDs from http://www.autolamps-online.com/. They only sell high quality products, never lie or deceive, have very good prices, and are very professional and knowledgeable in the industry.

Suggestion, call up one of these e-bay peddlers and ask them what type of bulb they are using. Then call up that manufacturer and ask them if they make 12,000K bulbs.

*The GS400 has ~6000K color.

Last edited by lex400sc; 03-09-02 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-09-02, 05:56 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

I have had my bulbs replaced twice since I have owned the car (moisture in the headlamps) and both times the bulbs were 4100k. it even said it on the covers. They were Toyota OEM 4100k...sure the bulb was made by someone else, but they were OEM. It did take about 6 months for the color to "gain" that blue tinit, but now mine look like every other GS4's
Old 03-09-02, 09:45 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Gs400TRD
I have had my bulbs replaced twice since I have owned the car (moisture in the headlamps) and both times the bulbs were 4100k. it even said it on the covers. They were Toyota OEM 4100k...sure the bulb was made by someone else, but they were OEM. It did take about 6 months for the color to "gain" that blue tinit, but now mine look like every other GS4's

My mistake, I just double checked with my lighting expert friend at the Philips forum and ALL oem bulbs from every HID-equipped car are 4100K. The optics are what's making the light output blue.
Old 03-10-02, 05:32 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Default Re: question...

Originally posted by MidniteLexus
I have a '99 GS4 with factory self-leveling HID.. what "k" are my lights? ..................Are you sure?

Midnite
i belive it's 6k

check out my 8k

https://www.clublexus.com/cgi-bin/ph...&cat=501&user=
Old 03-10-02, 05:33 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Originally posted by Gs400TRD
get something more reliable

i'd suggest big company like philips, they stuff is very good.. get 6k or if you want to go with better lights get k2 8k

Old 03-10-02, 05:52 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

get something more reliable

i'd suggest big company like philips, they stuff is very good.. get 6k or if you want to go with better lights get k2 8k

Umm factory-installed oem real hid systems are the most reliable ON THE PLANET. They are tested to death before put into a car. Your problems may stem off the fact that you have moisture in the headlight assembly. This can very easily short out a bulb or ballast. The cheap route, buy some clear silicone and reseal the housing. The proper route, buy a new headlamp housing from the dealership. If your car is still under warranty, they should give you new housings for free.
Old 03-10-02, 05:59 PM
alexus
Pole Position

you have to understand something.. we all here understand that factory is the best.. *BUT* what if you got a car without factory one? what do you do then? you gotta intstall other one and we trying to deside which one..
Old 03-10-02, 06:07 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

I just got mine replaced at the dealers. Now I have one clear one and one foggy one.

Originally posted by lex400sc

Umm factory-installed oem real hid systems are the most reliable ON THE PLANET. They are tested to death before put into a car. Your problems may stem off the fact that you have moisture in the headlight assembly. This can very easily short out a bulb or ballast. The cheap route, buy some clear silicone and reseal the housing. The proper route, buy a new headlamp housing from the dealership. If your car is still under warranty, they should give you new housings for free.
Old 03-10-02, 06:19 PM
alexus
Pole Position

heh how come? they are *the* most reliable on the plant.. building might colapse but those HID will survive
Old 03-10-02, 06:59 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

heh how come? they are *the* most reliable on the plant.. building might colapse but those HID will survive
They are so because manufacturers test the hell out of them with very comprehensive endurance tests in order to make sure they will always live beyond the warranty period. Many auto manufacturers do exclusive R&D with the lighting manufacturers to develop model specifc systems as well. They are essentially "made" for the car. Could you imagine if Lexus had to recall and replace 200,000 defective hid systems at $1000-2400 retail a pop? Not a pretty situation. Lots of kit conversions are not endurance tested at all therefore you have no idea how reliable they are. Plus the warranty on them is SUBSTANTIALLY shorter than a factory hid.

you have to understand something.. we all here understand that factory is the best.. *BUT* what if you got a car without factory one? what do you do then? you gotta intstall other one and we trying to deside which one..
I understand that fully. I don't have factory install hids cause my car was never offered that. Not even the 2000 models. In fact I'm driving around with cheesy PIAA halogens. Kits are a very good solution to halogens. I'm not say that they aren't. They are cheaper, very easy to install, and some are just as well built as the factory hids--(namely because they ARE factory hids minus the optics).

Although I am adamant that factory hids are the best out there, I may just end up buying a kit conversion myself. Right now I'm researching oem hid systems that will fit into my headlight housing, but the work that goes into retrofitting factory hids is quite tedious and labor intensive. If I can't find a match up that I'm happy with, I will just buy a kit from www.autolamps-online.com.
Old 03-10-02, 06:59 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Originally posted by lex400sc

The dealer replaced the entire headlight assembly...this was covered in discussions about a year and a half ago as many members experienced this same problem. The bill was like $2400!!! I am glad I didn't have to pay that.

Quick Reply: HID. not 4K not 6K not even 7K or 8K .. it's 12K