GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HID. not 4K not 6K not even 7K or 8K .. it's 12K

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-02, 07:49 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lex400sc, you seem pretty knowledgeable about HID's, I have question. I am wanting to, eventually, upgrade my 2000 Halogen RX to HID's. I am planning on going with Phillips 6000k, from somewhere like autolamps-online. Well, really, I have two questions:

1. How difficult would it be to get OEM HID on my RX. It came out for the RX, from the factory, in 2001. I am thinking the difficult part would be the auto-leveling mechanics.

2. If I did go with an aftermarket Phillips HID kit, wouldn't the clarity/focusing of the HID be just as clear and focused as OEM's. I don't see any differences on the reflector housing on my RX vs. the headlight housing on the '01's.

-Nick
Old 03-10-02, 08:56 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LexRX
lex400sc, you seem pretty knowledgeable about HID's, I have question. I am wanting to, eventually, upgrade my 2000 Halogen RX to HID's. I am planning on going with Phillips 6000k, from somewhere like autolamps-online. Well, really, I have two questions:

1. How difficult would it be to get OEM HID on my RX. It came out for the RX, from the factory, in 2001. I am thinking the difficult part would be the auto-leveling mechanics.

2. If I did go with an aftermarket Phillips HID kit, wouldn't the clarity/focusing of the HID be just as clear and focused as OEM's. I don't see any differences on the reflector housing on my RX vs. the headlight housing on the '01's.

-Nick
If the housing was the same from your RX and the 2001 model, then a new Lexus-oem hid system would fit. Halogen light doesn't have the same optics as the hid lights. They may look very very similar but there's variances like the panelling from the free-form lens, and if you have a reflector system, the rflector cap. You could always buy the oem hid and change the bulb if you're after 6000K bulbs.

If you got a kit conversion, it would probably look very similar from head-on. The main difference is going to be beam pattern: there will be none with the kit. The kit will illuminate the road, but won't have any distinct range or form. The factory RX hid projects a very sharp pattern that resembles two overlapping "diamonds" on the road which I think is cool.

Auto-levelling is only available in factory-installed hids. It's close to impossible to obtain auto-levelling from a non-hid car. The auto-levelling function uses motors to adjust the optics based on info obtained from the sensors at the wheel of the car supplied via cpu. There's also much more wiring associated with that.

What you'd have to end up doing with yours is adjust the cut-off line from a fix point and just make sure you aren't blinding people the majority of the time on the road.

If you're going to get an hid kit, Autolamps-Online is a very good place to buy them. If you're going to get the factory hid system, first make sure they fit before you buy them, and second, have Lexus install them for warranty purposes or find someone that knows how to. You'll most likely want to put in a battery relay as well for longevity. Good luck.
Old 03-11-02, 02:56 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

I dont have HID's but I did have moisture in the housing.

Originally posted by a1exus
heh how come? they are *the* most reliable on the plant.. building might colapse but those HID will survive
Old 03-11-02, 07:27 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Thanks for the info lex400sc. While I do have halogen bulbs, they are the best darn halogens I have ever had in a vehicle. They are pretty bright, and the beam pattern is nicely spread out. It illuminates evenly and is similar to our LS w/ HID, just not as white/bright.

I would like to install the OEM HID's, but I think that would be a hassle that I don't want to bother with when I can just buy a kit, using Phillips ballasts, and install. The kit will certainly be much more cost effective...cheaper These kits seem to be easy to install and if I have any problems it won't be difficult to go back to my original setup. I have a great deal of confidence in these aftermarket kits (using Phillips parts), however, my only concern is the focusing of the light. I would think that if I put an HID kit into my RX I would get the same great beam pattern I have with my OEM halogens.

Check out http://www.hidkits.com - They have some info on focusing. It is an informative site, I'm not so sure about the adjustable HID iighting though.

-Nick

Last edited by LexRX; 03-11-02 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-11-02, 07:42 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Go to www.autonetperformance.com and click on "Lexus" then click on Australian, UK, Parts etc... then select the GS picture.

Go to the bottom of the parts list and you will find a RX300 HID conversion kit for $599. I don't have anymore details that that.

Question...if the RX300 conversion kit is for a 9006 bulb, would it work for any 9006 socket (like a GS)?
Old 03-11-02, 10:14 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge

Question...if the RX300 conversion kit is for a 9006 bulb, would it work for any 9006 socket (like a GS)?
Thanks for the info. I've been to that site before, but never knew that was there under the GS section. About the 9006 conversion - I thought about that too, I think it is the same as the GS. Since they both use reflector housings and a 9006 bulb, the bulb itself should mount in the headlight housing the same.

I wonder what exactly they are selling - a kit or OEM. My guess would be a 4300k kit.

-Nick
Old 03-11-02, 11:06 AM
enginyr
Banned

a1lexus.....It would have been cool if you did the 4100 left bulb and 8000 right side. To see an exact comparison. Did you do a write-up ? Your lights are hella bright man.