GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need Help With 2 Separate Things

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 09:39 AM
vinsanity
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With 2 Separate Things

I have a 2001 GS430 and there are two completely unrelated problems that I cannot find solutions to.

1. When I press the lock button on my key, the alarm does not beep anymore nor do my blinkers flash. All I hear is the door locking and then 5 seconds later I hear another click of the door locks. When I pull on the door handle, all the doors are locked but I am not sure if the alarm is activating. Also, I cannot do the double tap to shut off the lights anymore. Strangely, when I press the unlock button, everything sounds normal (double beep, and blinkers flashing). This started happening just two weeks ago.

2. How do I use the built-in equalizer under the audio options on the Mark Levinson Navi System? I can't manually change the bass or treble but I am able to adjust the fade settings on the grid. All other features on the stereo system work fine, its just that I can't seem to change anything on the EQ.

Any help on either of these issues will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-09, 09:26 PM
sikkwidit
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem on the alarm question. But in my situation the driver side door doesn't lock thatz why the alarm doesn't beep. But once I lock it myself and after I put the alarm it does beep. Just go inside your car n make sure all the doors lock.
Old 03-18-09, 11:55 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vinsanity
I have a 2001 GS430 and there are two completely unrelated problems that I cannot find solutions to.

1. When I press the lock button on my key, the alarm does not beep anymore nor do my blinkers flash. All I hear is the door locking and then 5 seconds later I hear another click of the door locks. When I pull on the door handle, all the doors are locked but I am not sure if the alarm is activating. Also, I cannot do the double tap to shut off the lights anymore. Strangely, when I press the unlock button, everything sounds normal (double beep, and blinkers flashing). This started happening just two weeks ago.

2. How do I use the built-in equalizer under the audio options on the Mark Levinson Navi System? I can't manually change the bass or treble but I am able to adjust the fade settings on the grid. All other features on the stereo system work fine, its just that I can't seem to change anything on the EQ.

Any help on either of these issues will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sit inside your car. Arm/Lock your car with the remote. Then open a door. If the alarm is active it should start blinking or honking or whatever these cars do when someone pisses them off.
Old 03-20-09, 03:52 PM
vinsanity
Driver School Candidate

I tried the procedure listed above and nothing went off when I manually opened the door and stepped out. I did this with all 4 doors individually and there was no sound or blinking. I guess this means my alarm system stopped working.
Old 03-20-09, 04:17 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

its not the battery in the key or something?
i dont know why it would do it if it was the battery but who knows..
Old 03-20-09, 07:21 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Post Sounds like...

Hello,

You guys this sounds like the infamous door lock actuator. If the door doesn't lock after pressing the button, then you're actuator is bad. Happens to most of us, so you might want to get that checked! I may be wrong, but sure does sound familiar.

-Joe
Old 03-20-09, 10:29 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery?
Old 03-21-09, 12:41 AM
sikkwidit
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R.U. IN AW?
Hello,

You guys this sounds like the infamous door lock actuator. If the door doesn't lock after pressing the button, then you're actuator is bad. Happens to most of us, so you might want to get that checked! I may be wrong, but sure does sound familiar.

-Joe
BTW.. How much would it cost to get the actuator changed?
Old 03-21-09, 09:27 AM
ncs98gs
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

-Joe
He's right. If you have a bad actuator and try to lock your doors the alarm will not sound or flash. If you know what door is bad try manually locking only that one then lock the car with the key fob and your alarm should work fine. Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-09, 12:39 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello,

-Joe
This sounds like sikkwidit's problem although the OP said all his doors lock. Search for DIY actuator, it's a cheap fix if you are willing to do the work yourself. Otherwise it's gonna be expensive to have it replaced. I did this on mine last fall and it wasn't that bad to DIY if you've got some tools. Well worth all the money saved.
Old 03-23-09, 09:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Try disconnecting the battery?
this wont help....lthough it cant hurt either

he's got a actuator either going out or gone out already...
OP check out this DIY

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ators-diy.htmla
Old 03-25-09, 09:40 AM
vinsanity
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I will try replacing the actuator and reply with results on this thread.
Old 03-26-09, 11:53 PM
vinsanity
Driver School Candidate

You guys were right, it was the rear passenger side actuator that needed to be replaced. Everything seems to be working perfectly fine now. Thanks again for all the help.