GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

APEX WS Exhaust Install on GS430...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-02, 11:24 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default APEX WS Exhaust Install on GS430...

Ok, I finally "pulled the trigger" on an exhaust. Originally, I was going to get the TOM'S Barrel Exhaust (probably would have been the only GS with one in the States) but TOM'S could not guarantee that it would fit or work with a US Spec GS430 (remember, they don't have a V8 JZS-16x...hmmm, well it would be called a UZS-160 I think...whatever)

And if I had the exhaust imported, I would have to pay for it and if it didn't work, I would be stuck with it. That's kinda hard to swallow when you're talking about a $1400 exhaust!

Now before I came to this decision, I had a list of exhausts that I wanted...I went with #2 on my list of "single tip" exhausts (single tip per side that is)...the APEX World Sport...only #2 because I already had a lot of other TOM'S items...(yeah, I'm weird like that)...besides MRGS400nSoCali and I, does anyone else have a APEX WS exhaust?

I was also considering doing dual tip (per side) exhaust but it was pretty much a coin-toss...I could have gone either way...APEX just presented itself at the right time...

Anyways, onto the photos and install (all photos are available in the new GALLERY under my members section...

Here's the shot from the rear...

Here's a couple shots of my car at APEXi's bay/stock room...

Last edited by Manaray; 03-12-03 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-07-02, 11:34 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hey, who jacked my resonators? When I first saw the exhaust (in pictures a while back), this concerned me. Resonators keep the exhaust quite...but my buddy at APEXi assured me that the exhaust wasn't that loud (this, coming from someone who frequents JGTC events...)...but since he is by friend and all, I took his word for it...but I must admit, I was a little hesitant....

Well, sure enough it wasn't that loud. He was even a little dissapointed because he had installed on on a GS300 and it was louder. He knew it would sound different (V8 vs. I6) but he didn't think it'd be that quiet.

This was their first install on a GS430 BTW...so it was a little bit of an experiment...

Now, seeing how there's no resonators to get in the way, this opens the door for the TOM'S TYPE-A Rear LCB... I'm selling my Type-B if anyone is interested...I'll have to call Steve to see what he's selling them for now so I can sell it at a reasonable price. Again, I'm not in the business to GIVE away parts don't PM with offers of $100....or $101...

Last edited by Manaray; 03-12-03 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-07-02, 11:37 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Now for those of you doing this install yourself or having a mechanic do it, here's some "techincal" items...

Here's a photo of the Cat with the factory gasket in place (see the shiny goldish colored ring around the pipe)...for the APEX WS, REMOVE IT. The first picture WITH the gasket, the second is without...it looks similar because of the nice rust, but it's a 1/8" thick (or so) gasket...you can't miss it...

With Gasket

Without Gasket

Last edited by Manaray; 03-12-03 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-07-02, 11:42 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, let's take a break...

While I was at APEXi, I decided to snap some extra curricular photos...here's a picture of a nice turbo attached to 7M-GTE which is attached to a MK.3 Supra (the white one behind my car in one of the photos I posted)

Here's an interior shot of a R34 Skyline...I love the data screen on the dash! RHD stick...that would take some getting used to!

Now here's a very saddening shot of the R34 Skyline...NO ENGINE! The RB26-DETT had a loose connecting rod (from the factory!)...I'm sure you can figure out the rest...but fear not, the new engine will be SICK...

Last edited by Manaray; 03-12-03 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-07-02, 11:49 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, now back to the APEX WS exhaust on the GS430...

Here's a shot from the bottom...mmmm...pretty...

When you do the install, I suggest you remove the factory crossbrace that's near the cat...will make removal of the stock and installation of the APEX WS much easier...

Also, if you already have the TOM'S Rear LCB install, it doesn't HAVE to be removed...just loosen the two rear bolts (that tie the rear subassembly of the car) and you can squeeze the factory exhaust out...you'll also have to remove the drivershaft shield (easy 4 bolts)...getting the APEX WS in wasn't nearly as difficult.

Now for those of you with the TOM'S 6-Piece Link/Brace Kit, you'll notice that the clearance of some pieces is pretty tight to the stock exhaust piping...we were concerned that the larger APEX WS piping would hit...but you know what? There was MORE clearance...check it out...better engineered bends on the APEX WS (less abrubt = smoother exhaust flow = good)

Last edited by Manaray; 03-12-03 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-07-02, 11:57 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, NOW for the problem that we ran into...minor one, but one that should be pointed out...

The hangers for the factory exhaust on the GS430 aren't quite good for the APEX WS exhaust...

The hanger is just too high. It makes the exhaust tips hit the rear bumper...

So what we did is put coupe of spacers in here. These "spacers" are actually nuts with a larger thread bore (larger than the bolts that they're going over)...see the two red "circles" I drew on the photo below..that's the "spacers".

We didn't want to use to big of spacers because we wanted the nuts that actually hold the hangers on to the car to have enough thread to be full threaded onto the bolt. We also added some Loctite BLUE (NOT RED!!) just in case.

Now while this did lower the hanger a bit, there was still a problem. Do you see that little rubber piece under the red circles (and between them)...that' the stop bumper for the exhaust so that the exhaust does bump up against the bumper...part that it's suppose to contact with on the exhaust was too low. So we just took some high-temp rubber hosing and wedged it between there. It works great!

But we're going to work on a better piece that will interface with the grooves on stop bumper and then interface to the piece on the exahaust...something more permanent...

Last edited by Manaray; 03-12-03 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-08-02, 12:03 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Well, that's pretty much it for the install...

I'm going to follow Junction Produce and make some MP3's of the exhaust note for anyone interested in hearing it...

I'll do a startup with some revs (turn on car, step on the pedal a few times) and I'll do a 'drive-by"....I'll also do on inside the cabin with the windows up, the sunroof cracked open (just up, not completely open), and with a coupe of the windows down while driving so you can determine if the noise is too much for anyone interested in installing this exhaust.

So far, I must say, I like it a lot. Sounds good...very, very deep...sounds mean as hell...and its not too loud...even w/o resonators (which really surprised me).

Also, if you get a fix it ticket, you can get insterts for the exhaust that will make it as quiet as stock...it's a resonator that goes into the tips and then screws in....there is a small hole on the bottom of the tips at the very end (away from the car) for that purpose..

Also, the exhaust sticks out about a 1" to a 1.5" more than the stock exhaust (which worked out perfectly for me cuz with my body kit, the my stock exhausts sat in about 0.5" to 0.75" or so...)

Oh, here's a picture of my GS flying through APEXi's work area...yeah, I admit, that was me that crashed the GS into the all those cars at Longo Lexus...

Last edited by Manaray; 03-12-03 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-08-02, 12:56 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice
Old 03-08-02, 02:11 AM
RacingAristo

I've had that exhausts for a long time. It's not unique anymore. Damn it.
Old 03-08-02, 04:18 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up manaray, thanks! Lots of good info and pix that I'm sure will be useful to lots of folks here.
Old 03-10-02, 11:08 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

RacingAristo - Not unique, but still good. Man this thing sounds nice!

For others, you can buy these for just under $600 (not bad for a full dual cat-back exhaust system!)...and install is easy so long as you have a lift and you DON'T have the TOM's Rear LCB!
Old 03-11-02, 08:07 AM
Wheels Boutique
Former sponsor

ya Manaray I've had it for about a year and a half and I love it.....
Old 03-11-02, 08:49 AM
enginyr
Banned

Nice write-up Manaray.....Notice any extra horse power gains? What shop did you do the install at?
Old 03-11-02, 10:32 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't notice a huge gain or loss anywhere...I didnt' expect too though...exhaust really don't help much unless you start doing mods to the engine/ecu...but if you have forced induction....

It was installed at APEXi....
Old 03-12-02, 02:56 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Man,

the exhaust looks great!! i can't wait to hear what it sounds like...

i love the deep growl and sound of the greddy pe's... how does the APEXi compare??

Quick Reply: APEX WS Exhaust Install on GS430...