GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Well, I got screwed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 06:32 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Well, I got screwed

Its a long read, but share my anger!

2 saturdays ago I went to get a pair of tires so I could finally get the 20's on the car. I had some sweet Pirelli's on the car, but at the moment I didnt have the cash to do so, so I did a bit of calling around to see what was available and found that I could get some Falken's for $107 each installed. Not bad... I called a few shops and got the same price, then I found one who offered them for $105... So I said, cool I can save a few bucks and it was much closer. So I go. Ok I go in and say, "I called in earlier about getting a pair of 255/20 Falken tires for my car" they said yea blah blah blah (blah meaning yea I remembered with details of conversation) I go to the office and shows me the tires and I go to pay. As I prepare to pay he says, "how about this, I'll give you all 4 for $360 bucks." I say, " naw I'm cool". then says, "ok you drive a hard bargan, all 4 for $320." Ok, how can I pass up that?! I make the decision to dry my account and get all 4. Now remember, I went in to get TWO tires of 255/35/20's to switch the ones I've got which would leave me with the new pair of 255's and my old pair of 255's. Ok, so I pay and they do their thing. I take off and sweet, got a nice ride and I'm loving the 20's better than my 22's... The next weekend comes (this past) I put go to put the 22's back on and I notice something weird. The little lip that is at the end of the bead (that protects the rim) was almost flush with the rim? I was like,"thats weird, I remember having a nice little lip there" Then I notice the tire wasnt really that wide, so I check the size and I see 225/35/20! ok I WAS PISSED! I remove all the rims and take them to the shop (after argueing on the phone) They keep saying, "let me see your reciept" I said, "I dont care what the reciept says, when we made the deal we were talking about the 255's" so the guys says, "ok the tires look to be in brand new condition, since you're a customer I will do what I can to make you happy. I'll get you the 255's at the price you mentioned of $105 and i'll add $50 bucks for the little use you have on these tires" ok, fair enough, thats a good deal. BUT WAIT!!! As soon as he says that, something drew my attention to the tires again..... THEY WERENT EVEN FALKENS!!!!!!! THEY WERE ONE OF THE CRAPPIEST TIRES, "SUNNYS"!! WTF!!! NOW i'm even more pissed! I called around everywhere and was to get 255/35/20's for $107 and this effer is going to get me 255/35/20's of the sunnys for the same price! He said theres no way he can get the Falkens for $107. So props for trying to work with me, but a big F on getting me crap for the same price as a quality tire. When he said he couldnt get them for that price, thats when I knew for sure he was trying to screw me. If 5 other shops can get them for that price, theres no reason why he couldnt. In fact he said hes "eating" it by giving me the sunnys for $107. Now yes I will accept some responsibility for not checking the tires before they put them on and after I left, but the last time I checked, when I go in to buy something and price and product was chosen, you get that.... So yea, thats where i'm at. I'm suppose to call back and work on a deal for the falkens. It's upseting, the money isnt the issue, its just the principal. I wish I could just give the tires back and take my buisness elsewhere, but I got a no. I'd rather give the tires back, eat that $50 bucks and deal with someone else... So yea, thats it. Maybe I can sell the tires on craigslist....

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 02-23-09 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-23-09, 06:42 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Yes, you should have checked, but he should not have tried to pull one over on you. Never never never leave the shop without checking your paperwork and the product, especially when it's a new shop you've never dealt with.

You said you drained your account to get all 4 - this is a bad idea! Always make a purchase with your credit card so that you have leverage - he can either take the product back, or you can call them and cancel the charge because he did not give you the right product. You've got him over a barrel at that point, and credit card companies usually will not screw around - they care about their customer who pays the bill, not some guy who is trying to screw the customer.

Did you pay with a check or a debit card with a credit card logo? You may still have some protection in that regard - get in touch with the bank. This is obviously the last resort if he's not willing to do the Falkens you want for a fair price. If he's talking $200 each for a tire everyone else is selling for $107, something's wrong.

And next time - check everything.

Big Mack
Old 02-23-09, 06:49 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear your pain but this is another case where you gotta pay attention to what you are buying and make sure that you get an exact receipt written out. On a side note for readers the tires are spelled Falken and Sunny. Good luck getting this problem solved.
Old 02-23-09, 07:13 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks they tried to screw you but as others have mentioned you really should have checked before you drove off. I always check to make sure there wasnt any damage done when I have new wheels put on or I have them rotated.
Old 02-23-09, 07:48 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Yup I cant stray away from where I messed up

Good Idea Big Mack on the card deal. I payed with a bank card (with logo) I'll see about checking with the bank about it.
Old 02-23-09, 10:42 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Saving $2 per wheel was your downfall.

Always check before leaving...and always pay by credit card (not debit card).
Old 02-23-09, 02:05 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear what happen to ya!..hope everything work out and resolve this issued with tires deal
Old 02-23-09, 02:55 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

That sucks man I won't criticize your decision anymore, but you should have double-checked everything before buying...
Old 02-23-09, 02:56 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

hmm where's that person that should be in this thread?
Old 02-23-09, 03:29 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahh That sucks .. sorry to hear that man ...

althought it was stated before I can understand how you were very happy ...

keeping in mind the I dont buy falkin tires to stretch on anymore . alot of un happy moments with those as well as many others ..

I had a case where as leaving I stopepd my self and seen a 5 inch scratch on my lip as leaving so lucky i got that fixed but on a discontinued wheel .. .they offered to let me keep the other wheel and we both buy the wheel ... which never happened ... just goto a good whop and 2 dollars isnt much for the next case ..

well post a pic of those tires i have not ever heard of sunnys lol
Old 02-23-09, 03:34 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Old 02-23-09, 04:59 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I've seen the sunnys at wheel/tire shops, but never risked putting them on my car. They might be Z rated, but I'm not going to be the one that puts them to the test lol. I use either Michelin PilotSport2, Eagle F1 GS-D3, Bridgestone Potenza RE050. I've never used any tires other than those on my car.
Old 02-23-09, 05:41 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I've seen the sunnys at wheel/tire shops, but never risked putting them on my car. They might be Z rated, but I'm not going to be the one that puts them to the test lol. I use either Michelin PilotSport2, Eagle F1 GS-D3, Bridgestone Potenza RE050. I've never used any tires other than those on my car.
same here. I've ALWAYS loved the P-Zero Nero and yea Michelins are pretty..

However another shop that I frequently go to (whom I should have gone to) said that yea the Sunny tires are crap, but the low pros are suppose to be better. So I really dont know. I do, however, see a difference in the tread print from the crappy ones to the ones on the z rated ones....
Old 02-23-09, 05:54 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I never heard of Sunny's Tires.. Not sure I would trust a set of tires called Sunny's. Hope it works out for you,..
Old 02-23-09, 11:34 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post up pics ... how is the tread and anyone hear about new tires on the market ? maybe it might work for you ?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-24-09 at 12:56 PM. Reason: removed quoted posts

Quick Reply: Well, I got screwed