GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Engine Visably Shakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 01:17 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Visably Shakes

When the car is started, the engine visably shakes at idle (car idles at normal speeds for a gs430). Sometimes on a cold start the idle starts at 900 and over the next 10-12 seconds will work its way up to 1200-1300ish. You can actually see the plastic cover shaking when the hood is popped, whether the car is cold or warm. There are no malfuction lights on. The cars power seems to be completely fine. Are the motor mounts here to blame? A slight miss maybe (fouled plug, coil pack...)? I'm not sure.
Old 02-18-09, 01:52 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

sounds like motor mounts my friend on the shaking but could be plugs/coils...have u checked them?....check/replace tranny mount while/if your replacing other mounts
Old 02-18-09, 06:15 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

I have genuine mounts and the tranny mount in my possession (in the trunk in a box). The mechanic has the car now but wants to look through everything. I really think its the mounts..I seen a video on youtube of a ls430 revving the engine. as seen here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDoZKFXWybk shows the engine bay and the motor doesnt actually move til hes practically redlining the thing, mine moves more on a 2,000RPM rev that the one in the video did on a 5-6Kish rev.. I told him to call me before he does anything... when he calls and says its the mounts (im hoping)...I'm going to tell him pop the trunk, there's mounts in the car, have fun LOL
Old 02-19-09, 12:43 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, but how many miles do you have?
Old 02-19-09, 01:24 AM
burma
Pole Position

if it is your mounts you should replace the tranny mounts also. I had to replace my transmission mounts with about 63,000Miles on the car and should have replaced the motor mounts but didnt even though they were 50% worn. Now my mounts are more than 50% worn and im hoping that they didn't speed up the wear on my replaced tranny mounts.
Old 02-19-09, 11:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
I have genuine mounts and the tranny mount in my possession (in the trunk in a box). The mechanic has the car now but wants to look through everything. I really think its the mounts..I seen a video on youtube of a ls430 revving the engine. as seen here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDoZKFXWybk shows the engine bay and the motor doesnt actually move til hes practically redlining the thing, mine moves more on a 2,000RPM rev that the one in the video did on a 5-6Kish rev.. I told him to call me before he does anything... when he calls and says its the mounts (im hoping)...I'm going to tell him pop the trunk, there's mounts in the car, have fun LOL
haha way to be prepared. i suspect i'll be doing this soon as my car is getting to be 8 years old so im sure down the road i'll be headed this way but right now no problems

Originally Posted by burma
if it is your mounts you should replace the tranny mounts also. I had to replace my transmission mounts with about 63,000Miles on the car and should have replaced the motor mounts but didnt even though they were 50% worn. Now my mounts are more than 50% worn and im hoping that they didn't speed up the wear on my replaced tranny mounts.
um i said that already slow poke....check post # 2

Originally Posted by sakataj
check/replace tranny mount while/if your replacing other mounts
Old 02-19-09, 01:23 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by djspawn00
just curious, but how many miles do you have?
Old 02-19-09, 03:30 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

108k yep.. sounds like brian's diagnosis is the right one.
Old 02-19-09, 03:42 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
sounds like motor mounts my friend on the shaking but could be plugs/coils...have u checked them?....check/replace tranny mount while/if your replacing other mounts
one of the first things i would check, then other loose things etc. check mounts 1st.
Old 02-19-09, 09:24 PM
olddog
Pole Position

is there a DIY for these engine mounts? and how much do they cost?
Also, where does one shop for them?
Old 02-20-09, 06:37 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by olddog
is there a DIY for these engine mounts? and how much do they cost?
Also, where does one shop for them?
(for a GS430)
Theres a DIY for the tranny mount. Should only take 10 minutes or so.

They cost me 284 shipped with the 15% clublexus discount from Sewell.
You need these parts from Sewell

(2) http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=80080&all=Y

(1) http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=43045&all=Y

When checking out use the "clublexus" in the promotion box.

This is something worthwhile to do on all 3uzfe powered vehicles. The mounts are soft and definately wear before you know it. There's even a TSB on 02-04 SC430s for the mounts because of shaking. Some people on the board have replaced as early as 30K, others 60k, others 90 and so on and so fourth. I'm sure my car could of used these a while ago.

On a side note, I took the car back from the mechanic, with no charge as they tried to tell me there's no problems with the mounts and they seem to think its a misfire. Theres no codes, no loss of power, no heistation, just typical motor mount symptoms. Anyway, a friend of a friend is a service advisor at a Toyota dealership in the area. I'm taking it there on monday and letting them do it . The shop down the street might have just lost a good paying customer, considering I've been taking my last 3 cars there for the last 3 years.
Old 02-20-09, 09:45 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
(for a GS430)
Theres a DIY for the tranny mount. Should only take 10 minutes or so.

They cost me 284 shipped with the 15% clublexus discount from Sewell.
You need these parts from Sewell

(2) http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=80080&all=Y

(1) http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=43045&all=Y

When checking out use the "clublexus" in the promotion box.

This is something worthwhile to do on all 3uzfe powered vehicles. The mounts are soft and definately wear before you know it. There's even a TSB on 02-04 SC430s for the mounts because of shaking. Some people on the board have replaced as early as 30K, others 60k, others 90 and so on and so fourth. I'm sure my car could of used these a while ago.

On a side note, I took the car back from the mechanic, with no charge as they tried to tell me there's no problems with the mounts and they seem to think its a misfire. Theres no codes, no loss of power, no heistation, just typical motor mount symptoms. Anyway, a friend of a friend is a service advisor at a Toyota dealership in the area. I'm taking it there on monday and letting them do it . The shop down the street might have just lost a good paying customer, considering I've been taking my last 3 cars there for the last 3 years.
isnt the discount only 10%? the code clm911 used to be 12% but i think they removed this one
Old 02-20-09, 09:41 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

I was under the impression that clm911 was 10% and clublexus was 15%...I'll look into it.
Old 02-20-09, 09:44 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

cl911m just took 10.1% off of an engine mount and clublexus code just took off 12.1% off an engine mount.
Old 02-20-09, 09:50 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed for when I have to replace mine.

Quick Reply: Engine Visably Shakes