GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Instruction for Factory HID Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 11:42 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

D2S bulbs will work with D2R ballasts however the notching on the bulb itself is going to be different. Also, D2R bulbs have a strip on the bulb designed specifically for OEM reflective HID headlights.

ahem.... brand new Philips 4300k D2R bulbs for $69.99:

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Philips_43.../pb-d2r-4k.htm

Steve
Old 04-08-10, 05:31 PM
prsalma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'm new to this so bear with me......

I have a 2006 GS300 with the HID lights and my passenger side one went out. Lexus dealership told me that the part alone would cost about $200 and installing it would cost me $90 because they have to remove the front bumper. I'm having a really hard time swallowing the amount I have to pay.

I have the instructions for changing it, thanks to this thread but now I need is a place to get the bulb from. I've read everyone's opinions on which one is better and so on. However I'm still not sure. I'm going to play the woman card because 1: I'm a woman 2: I don't know anything about cars except the basics. Can anyone offer me some useful advice?

Thank you in advance.......
Old 09-25-10, 09:57 AM
esolo98
Advanced

This is an old post, but thanks to it I was ablt to change my bulb in 10 minutes!
Old 03-06-11, 05:44 PM
David1969
Pole Position

I bought a bulb from this seller almost 4 years ago and it's still going strong. I paid about $3.xx less for it back then, but it's still a great bargain for an OEM light.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-4...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-21-11, 03:16 PM
Unlikely
9th Gear

I'm about to replace drivers side bulb, and that plastic cover is really tough to get to with all the wiring in the way. Anybody have any tips for getting it screwed off in that small space. I can barely get my hand on it, let alone get much grip to turn it.

The excellent photos are the passenger side, and that looks much easier when that time comes.

All ideals/suggestions welcomed.
Old 09-21-11, 04:52 PM
Unlikely
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Unlikely
I'm about to replace drivers side bulb, and that plastic cover is really tough to get to with all the wiring in the way. Anybody have any tips for getting it screwed off in that small space. I can barely get my hand on it, let alone get much grip to turn it.

The excellent photos are the passenger side, and that looks much easier when that time comes.

All ideals/suggestions welcomed.
FWIW - I have the drivers side apart down to the bulb (checking photos again to verify the metal paper clip wires that hold bulb...)

Note for others: In step one, the gray cover only turns about 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so, then it pops off. I was thinking it was screw fit. Used a screwdriver through the hole up around the top to pry the cover off (drivers side) because it's so tight in there...

I also keep using the passenger side as a reference, since it's easy to see (and that's the photos) and once you do it there, it's easier on the drivers side (which is mostly working blind).

More news as I get it back together. (Super thanks to OP!)
Old 09-21-11, 08:27 PM
step2me
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so many people said it was hard and took a while. i changed both of mine with a set of the $15.99 ebay 8000k ones and it only took about 10 minutes ....the 8k ones match the LEDs i put in the daytime running lights and markers perfect
Old 09-22-11, 10:37 AM
Unlikely
9th Gear

Originally Posted by step2me
so many people said it was hard and took a while. i changed both of mine with a set of the $15.99 ebay 8000k ones and it only took about 10 minutes ....the 8k ones match the LEDs i put in the daytime running lights and markers perfect
From start to finish mine took around 45 minutes... but some of it was puzzling how to get the cover off the drivers side (very tight on mine...)

Once you figure it out, I can see it taking 10-15 minutes max.

The little wire clips that hold the bulb confused me at first. I couldn't see exactly where they were hooked on the drivers side, just not enough line of sight for my 50 year eyes.

Went to passenger side, they unhooked easily and once it was clear how it worked, the drivers side was easy. (Simply push down on the top, then gently move to side... those instructions are in the OP, but it still wasn't clear to me until I did it.)

For me, the key was the OP photos (excellent!!!) combined with using the passenger side as my reference. (I was only replacing the drivers side at first, since I wanted to compare to the original factory bulb which was still working on the passenger side.)

Highly recommend you do the passenger side first, because once you see how it goes together, it's simple:
  • Remove gray cover
  • Remove metal cover
  • Remove wire connector
  • Unhook the bulb
  • Slide bulb out, replace and reverse process

Can't think the OP enough... this tread is gold! (Even so many years after it was posted.)
Old 09-26-11, 12:58 PM
Unlikely
9th Gear

I originally just did the drivers side so I could compare... The new bulb worked great, so I changed the passenger side the next day. Took around 10 minutes since it's easy once you know how it is put together.
Old 10-16-11, 05:41 AM
DickLexus
Rookie

Thanks for the update Unlikey. Will be attempting mine this week. The passenger side actually went dead, turned pink for a few days and then kaboom! Since these were the original bulb 12 years is nothing to complain about.
Old 10-17-11, 07:03 AM
Unlikely
9th Gear

Originally Posted by DickLexus
Thanks for the update Unlikey. Will be attempting mine this week. The passenger side actually went dead, turned pink for a few days and then kaboom! Since these were the original bulb 12 years is nothing to complain about.
Mine were also original bulbs (over 10 years) so you probably will be doing driver side within a few months. Reasonable once you do the passenger side. That side is perfect to learn.
Old 02-21-12, 04:58 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks (10 years after the original post!), I just did mine, took all of 2 min to change the bulb, but it took me 10 min to get the stupid rear cover back on! Sheesh that just didn't want to go back in!

Originally Posted by Shinchan
After seeing quite a few CL member strugle on obtaining instruction for replacing HID bulb, I decide to write up a quick instruction.

I also had a hard time finding answer when I was doing my HID bulb change 3 month ago. Post 2 thread and receive no answer..

No more... I took a few picture today.. some pic came out blur.. due to not much room to work with.. well better than no instruction and picture right? Right!!!!

Here is the first pic.. remove the grey plastic cover.. clockwise.
Old 03-04-12, 08:24 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
Thanks (10 years after the original post!), I just did mine, took all of 2 min to change the bulb, but it took me 10 min to get the stupid rear cover back on! Sheesh that just didn't want to go back in!
Same here, driver side was a *****!!

Thanks OP!
Old 03-05-12, 11:35 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow... I didn't realize that this post as that old!

Steve
Old 03-05-12, 04:32 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, used this guide a few months ago too! I hate those metal covers, LOL.

Quick Reply: Instruction for Factory HID Bulb Replacement