GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY hood latch cable replacement

Old 12-08-10, 08:03 AM
Patsfan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PetesLS400
My cable has been out the last 3 years. The way I get it to close each time is......

...follow the cable from the hood latch to where it takes a 90 degree turn toward the windshield. In that area you can get your hands on the cable and give it a couple tugs, tugging at the hood latch. This frees up the cable and hood latch and works for me every time.
Wow, you just saved me some big bucks and a lot of time and frustration.

This has been so annoying. I could close my hood and only the secondary latch would catch, then I could slam my trunk closed and the primary latch would catch.
However, I could then pop the first latch by just lifting hard by putting my fingers in the grill.

I used some pliers and found the cable right above the driver's headlight and pulled it away from the latch. I heard a small click and then when I closed the hood, it stayed completely closed and the hood pop latch in the car actually worked.

Thank you!!!!
Old 01-29-11, 09:52 AM
S-Lex-95
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a mechanic replace this about a year ago. Had tried WD-40 and pliers etc and it sort of worked but had not found this thread. So today it started again - had to push the cable under the dash with pliers. and now found this thread, so have a choice at least v. having to pay for the repair at the shop a second time. thanks for the great info and pictures.!!
Old 02-05-11, 03:54 PM
svlexus
Driver

I had this problem today. I tried taking the latch apart but didnt realize that the crossmember was removable. I wound up getting it by sticking a tiny screwdriver into the latch and wiggling it and i hard a little pop. It seems theres something in the latch that gets hung up. Its not so much of a cable problem because the cable doesnt "push" anything, it pulls. The cable retract is spring loaded if the latch is working.
Old 07-01-11, 08:08 AM
GSFire
Driver School Candidate

Default Local Mechanic cost in Chicago

It took more than two hours for them to figure out how to do it, then do it, but the end cost was 200+cable. I didn't notice this DIY at the bottom of the list. Oh well.

GSFire
Old 03-18-12, 04:11 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys. I know this is an old post (and I posted to it at one point). I just need a temporary fix. It seems like you can access the cable behind/beneath the driver's side headlight. Another poster also mentioned sticking a small screwdriver into the latch itself.

Can someone tell me a quick and easy way to get my hood closed tonight?

e
Old 12-01-12, 12:45 AM
gumbo48
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I just got done changing the hood latch cable on her GS430. Something that we did that I didn't see mentioned in this thread was putting wheel bearing grease on the end of the cable before shoving it in the firewall. We tried to feed it through the firewall but it just wouldn't go in so I coated the end of the cable with grease and it went right in.
Old 01-19-13, 05:26 AM
ezornberg
Driver School Candidate

thank you for the information
Old 01-19-13, 08:10 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Pics????????

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 02-01-13, 01:37 PM
rylexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Electrical tape and general purpose grease

My dad and I completed this job together about a month ago, the photos on this site were great. Finished the job quickly and more easily by taping up end to end the new cable to the old one, greasing up the cable for the push through the fire wall.
Old 02-01-13, 01:44 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Pics????????
please stop skimming threads or jumping to the end and posting......OR get off your mobile and use a real computer. the pictures are in post # 18
Old 03-09-13, 03:28 PM
ScottGS300
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

I have alternate short tem repair. After reading the thread I decided to try white lithium grease into the cable from inside the car. I forced my red nozzle extender (what is that really called?) into the cable just behind the release handle where the wire first enters. After putting some old towels down and covering the area with a rag, gave it a good 5 second shot. It seemed to get most of into the cable. I then let it sit while also greased up the latch and changed the oil. After a few hours I took a pair of pliars and forced the wire from about one inch of where the wire enters back into the cable. It seemed to pop back into place. So far I have opened the hood only once more to test it. I think I will leave it alone for a while. Hope this helps.

Scott
Old 03-09-13, 05:03 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

let us know how that goes
Old 04-05-14, 05:10 PM
kokkinias
Driver School Candidate

I like everthing except the part to pass thru the firewall. In my 2000 GS300, I had to unbolt the fuse box (2 bolts) to get to the rubber plug on the firewall. Only way to get cable inside.

Last edited by kokkinias; 04-05-14 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 10:30 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My brother has replaced his 3 time during 5 yrs,
everytime $800 from dealer.....
4th time around he bought a pair of hood pins for $30
and problem solved.....
Old 06-05-14, 07:45 AM
skiz88
Pole Position

I just had this problem on my 01 GS300. Local mechanic shop quoted $140 for the part and labor so I went with it. Seems like a good deal for a job that would've taken me more than 2 hours and that's if I didn't run into complications which never happens with any job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY hood latch cable replacement