GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

brake warning light comes on and off

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 08:04 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake warning light comes on and off

now that it's freezing in nyc the brake warning light on the odometer area comes on when i brake during a long stop and then turns off after the car stops. it's the same light that you get when you put the foot brake on. has anyone experienced this before and what could be causing it?

i've checked brake fluid level already and it's fine.
Old 01-16-09, 08:36 PM
humanoid
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir, it may be low.
Old 01-16-09, 09:23 PM
HGill
Pole Position

Mine throws that light when the pads are getting low.
Old 01-16-09, 09:41 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by humanoid
Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir, it may be low.
Originally Posted by HGill
agreed...that usually happen when the fluid is low
Old 01-16-09, 10:30 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

what about worn brake discs? would that cause the brake light to come on? i checked the pads a few months ago and they were fine....
Old 01-17-09, 07:20 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

It most def. might be the low fluid, I have never heard of the light coming on when the pads are low??
Old 01-17-09, 07:20 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Also, make sure you check the E-Brake to make sure it's not sticking.
Old 01-17-09, 11:14 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by habeeb89
It most def. might be the low fluid, I have never heard of the light coming on when the pads are low??
The brake fluid gets lower as the pads wear.
Old 01-19-09, 11:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

u must have the knight rider gs cause it wont throw a light when the pads get low....
Old 01-19-09, 11:25 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
The brake fluid gets lower as the pads wear.

Originally Posted by sakataj
u must have the knight rider gs cause it wont throw a light when the pads get low....
If the fluid is already low and the pads get low the light will come on. The fluid has to compensate for the missing pad material by pushing the piston out farther therefore lowering the fluid level even more which then activates the brake warning.
Old 01-19-09, 11:33 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

All cars with power brakes can potentially trigger the "brake" warning light as the pads run down.

Now, whether or not he has KITT installed on his GS is another story....
Old 01-20-09, 08:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Debonair

If the fluid is already low and the pads get low the light will come on. The fluid has to compensate for the missing pad material by pushing the piston out farther therefore lowering the fluid level even more which then activates the brake warning.
but that's not what im saying....i can go fill my reservoir and have LOW pads and the brake pads WILL NEVER MAKE THE LIGHT COME ON. that's all i was saying. i wasn't saying thin fluid ALONG with worn pads wont make it come on....ijust cause u have worn pads doesn't mean your reservoir isn't full. i dunno if im making sense this morning....im sleepy and its snowing in Memphis today. ne1 get me?

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
All cars with power brakes can potentially trigger the "brake" warning light as the pads run down.
yes potentially they can BUT its now the low pads that are making it come on its still the fluid....i dunno. im tired, im cranky....every1 just ignore me today
Old 01-20-09, 09:04 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

but that's not what im saying....i can go fill my reservoir and have LOW pads and the brake pads WILL NEVER MAKE THE LIGHT COME ON. that's all i was saying. i wasn't saying thin fluid ALONG with worn pads wont make it come on....ijust cause u have worn pads doesn't mean your reservoir isn't full. i dunno if im making sense this morning....im sleepy and its snowing in Memphis today. ne1 get me?

yes potentially they can BUT its now the low pads that are making it come on its still the fluid....i dunno. im tired, im cranky....every1 just ignore me today
Power down your computer and go to sleep grumpy. I follow you but you can't expect people on to know what your thinking. All we can go on is what your type. "it wont throw a light when the pads get low...." Well technically they (the pads) won't throw a light but they can cause the fluid to. So I guess you are Correct. You =

And just a word to the wise: If you go fill up your reservoir when the pads are REAL low it is going to overflow when you put new pads in. Now I am just messing with you - Go easy on me.
Old 01-20-09, 09:18 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Debonair
Power down your computer and go to sleep grumpy. I follow you but you can't expect people on to know what your thinking. All we can go on is what your type. "it wont throw a light when the pads get low...." Well technically they (the pads) won't throw a light but they can cause the fluid to. So I guess you are Correct. You =

And just a word to the wise: If you go fill up your reservoir when the pads are REAL low it is going to overflow when you put new pads in. Now I am just messing with you - Go easy on me.
not its cool. im just grumpy over all the crap going on with my car mainly im so stuck and not getting anywhere lately, haven't finished my MPD application (well the app is fine...waiting on paperwork from the state to send it in), i didnt get to bed till 4:30.....ty gf, it was snowing when i woke up and although im from up north and LOVE the snow....the 15 min drive to work took me 35 mins cause every moron is Memphis seemed either to be out driving or out wrecking this moron
Old 01-20-09, 10:55 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

Funny.

The EXACT same thing happined to my the other day when I stayed the night at a friends place and was unable to park my car indoors as I usually park in a heated garage. It was close to -30 with the wind chill that night, in the morning when I put my foot on the brake the e-brake light kept comming on. It continued for about 30-40 minutes and would come on everytime the brake pedal was pressed and would continue to stay on until release, the issue came back ONCE today when I had to brake hard at highway speed.

Kind of alarming to me as this is the first problem I have encountered with the car. I know my brake pads are due soon and my front rotors are warped. My brake fluid was just changed about 10,000 km ago and is full as I dont think it has anything to do with that.

Let me know if you figure anything out as brakes are something you cant put off

Last edited by charmz; 01-20-09 at 11:03 PM.

Quick Reply: brake warning light comes on and off