GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aftermarket SUB in Factory Location

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 07:21 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Aftermarket SUB in Factory Location

Hello All,

First of all, I searched and did not get any helpful hits. Searching "sub" does not meet the criteria. If someone can point me in the right direction, then that will be great.

So, i am looking for an aftermarket solution for our factory sub location in my 2GS.

What type of sub do you recommend? If this needs to be moved to the audio section, please kindly do so.

Thank you

Last edited by istundra; 01-10-09 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-10-09, 07:30 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is something that has been covered a lot in the audio section, I'll try to look for the link. However; don't waste your money, no matter what kind or how expensive free air subs are, they all suck. Nothing like a sub in a box, otherwise stay with the oem set up.
Old 01-10-09, 08:36 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A few guys and building boxes against the rear deck, making a sealed box for the sub still in its stock location. I'm thinkin' the same... FA subs are no good, and change sound with amount of crap in your trunk.
Old 01-10-09, 08:46 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea dont go free air,
Old 01-10-09, 09:24 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

free air sucks.
Old 01-10-09, 11:16 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can check JL IB series and kicker comp. You can also get a mold like the ones used for Marine applications...

Some of the IB series only needs small cubes so you can build the box and attach it to the original spot. You'll need some skills and dampening kit to prevent rattles.

One sub is enough for me... I'm just going to replace the factory sub with some cheap kickers.
Old 01-11-09, 02:55 PM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the past, in my teens and early twenties, I had numerous systems with multiple high quality subs running 600watt rms amps with capacitors etc. but now I am older and prefer trunk space to tons of bass. I would feel pretty embarrassed to be listening to music that loud anyway.

To my point, many of you have said free air sucks and I would agree that a sealed enclosure is ideal, however trunk space already is already minimal in the GS. I previously had a 00 GS3 with a 10" MTX thunder 8000 screwed into the back panel with 20+ screws running off a small 150w MTX amp along with the factory powered doors/tweets and it sounded really good. It had plenty of clean ~50hz, bass for my taste.

My current 98 GS4 with the Nakamichi sub leaves plenty to be desired in this dept and sounds as if it is playing 100hz and up. Anyone know what kind of wattage this sub is getting and if it is even crossed over? I am guessing maybe 60w rms and no crossover.

Any ideas what would make this sound better? I don't want to replace the sub if the amp output is too low and not running a low pass xover. I may just dynamat the rear parcel shelf really good as I had good results doing this in a Maxima with the BOSE system in the past.
Old 01-12-09, 11:15 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

im gonna run a 12" shallow mount pioneer ts-sw1241d and run a small box under it but out of the way as our factory sub is a 10" and the box should help produce some extra bass. it will fit in the oem location btw
Old 01-12-09, 12:24 PM
ceelo
Pole Position

There is a company that offered at one point in time a couple different setups for 2GS owners, one of those being a free air replacement setup the other a customer trunk box.

I know that the company has a spotty history on various automotive forums so I'll PM you the information so this thread doesn't get out of control or locked for name dropping.
Old 01-12-09, 01:18 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ceelo
There is a company that offered at one point in time a couple different setups for 2GS owners, one of those being a free air replacement setup the other a customer trunk box.

I know that the company has a spotty history on various automotive forums so I'll PM you the information so this thread doesn't get out of control or locked for name dropping.
i guess im nosy and curious im gonna pm as i wanna know. i got a feeling but i want a confirmation
Old 01-12-09, 02:01 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ceelo

That is silly. If they have pissed people off then that's on them.

I believe you are talking about Elemental Designs - http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_78_117

I made my own IB setup similar to theirs using one of their subs. It sounded Just Oaky, not good, not bad.

Mine:

Old 01-12-09, 02:23 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Debonair
That is silly. If they have pissed people off then that's on them.
I believe you are talking about Elemental Designs - http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_78_117
hahahaha yeah thats who i thought he was referring too
Old 01-12-09, 03:20 PM
ceelo
Pole Position

That's them . I didn't want to get any feathers ruffled. I believe they were a member or sponsor on here at one time or another but no longer. They also made a pretty ugly exit from bimmerforums a couple years ago when I was on there as well.

Either love em or you hate em I guess.
Old 01-12-09, 03:46 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I will need to replace my stock ml sub also. It started to tear this past year and I did the silicone trick for now, but im pretty sure it will give out soon. Im looking here for some ideas
Old 01-12-09, 04:40 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a KICKER VR 10. thats what I have. it kicks, its on a old school punch 60

Quick Reply: Aftermarket SUB in Factory Location