GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Nav Problems can someone help or steer me in right direction

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 01:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Nav Problems can someone help or steer me in right direction

ok so i turn the car on and press the ok i agree button and NOTHING happens, since i just came from the shooting range and cleaned my gun i still have gun oil on my fingers so i assume it cant read my finger print so have the gf touch it and poof it clicks and goes green on the i agree button like normal THEN it just sits there....so like 3 mins l8r it finally shows up like normal BUT this time it has NOTHING on it, no streets, no cities, nothing. it finally comes up and says gps not available at this time....

i get home,eject the dvd, disconnect the battery, spray out the NAV hard drive with some compressed air for my computer, let the car sit unplugged hoping the battery reset and the compressed air will clear it of its gremlins...hook battery back up, insert NAV dvd, it says loading blah blah blah just like it would when you insert a new disc or we and then it WILL NOT go past the i agree and it says in a little white box in the middle of the screen.....

"PROGRAM DISC IS INSERTED"

i can use ALL the other features on the side....radio,temp,etc, EXCEPT the menu button and the button over the destination (i forgot which one it is and its cold outside and i dont feel like sending my gf out there again 2 look hahaha)
if i hit destination and try to pull up home or a marked place it beeps i think 2 beeps to let me knwo i cant and then says something like na is unavailable at this time or something to that effect on the screen..OH im running on version 7.1 so im fairly up 2 date....haven't gotten the newest updated nav, was gonna do that in feb for my birthday

LONG STORY SHORT.....is my hard drive going out? or whats going on?

p.s. i know this belongs in the audio section....i just figured it would get more views here and then a mod would move it....which is fine...
thanks guys
Old 01-08-09, 06:31 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Well one thing's for sure, it's not your hard drive.
Old 01-08-09, 09:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by onesickgs
1, your disk is no good
2, maybe some thing is up with your gps antenna (wont go on with out that maybe its lose or some thing )
3, check the computer box, in the trunk see if there is any lose wires
also go in back where the nav dvd is see if there is any lose wires
4, also reset your ecu but this time go in ya trunk, un plug your wires for the computer for your radio/climate and nav
and wait for like 1 hour
5, maybe your dvd lens is drity in the dvd player, try to get like cd lens cleaner put that in
ok down the line....

1. disc is good came from sewell and have had for almost a year now, NEVER had a prob with gps till last night.
2. possible EXCEPT isnt the gps antennae on the gs430 built into the rear glass ALONG with our radio antennae? we have no external antennae like you have!
3. are the locations for the ??computer box?? and the nav BOTH in the right corner in the trunk? all i see all the nav hard drive and the nav amp UNDER it
4. i'll try the unplugging the wires for the comp when i get a answer to # 3 as i think the nav dvd and computer box you refer to are all the same unit... but y a hour? what difference does that make (i'll try it, it cant hurt)
5. basic, thought i dunno y i didnt think bout it....will check this

does ne1 know if the is the right part # for the 2001 gs430 nav hard drive?
86841-33060

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Well one thing's for sure, it's not your hard drive.
y do u think/say that darknight?

Last edited by sakataj; 01-08-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-08-09, 10:48 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

ok going to try these now....update b4 end of day
Old 01-08-09, 11:22 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If I'm not mistaken the GPS antenna should be on the rear deck lid.
Old 01-08-09, 01:39 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

gs430, does not use harddrive, and why he said that iscause a hard drive is a lot of money other then gps map disk
ok yes there is a gps antenna , i got no idea where you will see plug for it in back of the computer
i dont know how the gs430 is setup, but i know there is a computer box for head unit/climate and dvd
i know the gs400/gs300 has 1 computer box everything all in one and the you can see the gps antenna from there
about number 3, yes all the wires are in the trunk i dont know if its on the left or ride side on the gs430
ok so its 4:30 here and im done with whole list, i have cleaned the disc (didn't help), checked cables made sure all were plugged in (didn't help), unhooked battery and unhooked all plugs from gps and my amp (i think u misunderstood me, i was saying both my amp and my gps drive ARE in the right corner....if you standing at rear looking into trunk, this didnt help) let car sit a hour....going to plug up again in a min....when i removed gps drive it had a screw loose inside it...i unscrewed the unit and it fell out, saved screw but didnt see where it came from. so im kinda stuck guys. some1 help me out here

Originally Posted by Spyder78
If I'm not mistaken the GPS antenna should be on the rear deck lid.
ok im wrong....i see it here

http://www.*******.com/parts/p_U_200...AQKA_8603.html

Last edited by sakataj; 01-20-09 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-08-09, 02:35 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

still getting white box...will post a pic up of it l8r.....called sewell and local dealer. if its the hard drive comp part # 86841-47020.... almost 6k! hahahaha guess if i cant get this sorted out, i will take in to stealership to diagnose!
Old 01-09-09, 07:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

one thing for sure is,your computer works climate,cd and all that right ?your good on that,the dvd player might not be working or you might have a problem with the disk
its one of them
gonna be a long post here.
yeah climate works, radio works, i assume cd player works...sorry its out of the car due to the servo repair work i was doing
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html

the new servos are in and waiting to be installed (the pics are from the first install where i stupidly bought USED servos which didnt work either)

neways so i talked to sewell and my local dealer they want 5600 for this unit...toyota wants 3k IF ITS the harddrive computer and REALLY what else can it besides a disc but like post # 8 in this post says, HOW can a disc go bad sitting in a player

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-detected.html

while i was reading this, i noticed it says they can upgrade to the newer generation hard drives (post #7)

gen 3 part (86841-33060)
gen 4 part (86841-50090)

does ne1 know for a 100% i can swap to one of these? checked ebay found some of both gens ranging from 475-1000
like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...fAudioQ5fVideo

price is great but this concerns me
Negative feedback rating---Item doesn't work properly. his suggestion was to resale it BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dfwloanofficer ( 185 [Feedback score is 100 to 499] )
Oct-31-05 12:23
Reply by amsanyitem (Oct-31-05 14:44):
item was sold as is and it was clearly stated in the listing description
-- (#7978950146)

its only one of the negatives but its a small flag to me

also found these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...fAudioQ5fVideo
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...fAudioQ5fVideo
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...fAudioQ5fVideo

also found this on here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...le-merged.html

need someone local to swap with and verify....ne1 near me with ATLEAST a 7.1 disc (as i cant revert to a lower update right?) willing to help me verify (i mean swapping your unit to mine temporarily and vice versa and/or discs)

Last edited by sakataj; 01-09-09 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-09-09, 11:42 AM
micnn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
while i was reading this, i noticed it says they can upgrade to the newer generation hard drives (post #7)

gen 3 part (86841-33060)
gen 4 part (86841-50090)

does ne1 know for a 100% i can swap to one of these?
... dunno about the nav problem your having, but you can indeed swap the nav ECU unit (or NAV DVD drive, but NOT hard disk drive as it has nothing to do with hard disk). It's simple as plug-n-play. Check out this message:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...on-w-pics.html

The later part of this thread is all about switching from gen3 to gen4 with pics. Make sure the part number is correct: 86841-50090 when you decide to get the ecu. Last time I checked it's going about $500 on ebay.

BTW, gen4 ecu loses override capabilities because hybrid disc does not work with it. That's the only downside I can think of.
Old 01-09-09, 12:48 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by micnn
... dunno about the nav problem your having, but you can indeed swap the nav ECU unit (or NAV DVD drive, but NOT hard disk drive as it has nothing to do with hard disk). It's simple as plug-n-play. Check out this message:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...on-w-pics.html

The later part of this thread is all about switching from gen3 to gen4 with pics. Make sure the part number is correct: 86841-50090 when you decide to get the ecu. Last time I checked it's going about $500 on ebay.

BTW, gen4 ecu loses override capabilities because hybrid disc does not work with it. That's the only downside I can think of.
yeah i think i mis-worded myself dont mean hard drive (im using a gen2 nav computer 2001 gs430 oem)

i like the override so i think im gonna hunt for a 86841-33060 gen3 as my disc will still work in that. thanks for the info
Old 01-09-09, 03:33 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Umm I said the rear deck lid meaning inside the car under the carpet where the rear subwoofer is not the trunk lid.
Old 01-12-09, 09:57 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Umm I said the rear deck lid meaning inside the car under the carpet where the rear subwoofer is not the trunk lid.
well i got in trunk, looked under there and then pulled part of carpeting, i didn't see a antennae anywhere! who puts antennae UNDER nething neways? can ne one solve this dilemma? ne1 know where i can get a 2nd gen, 3rd gen, or 4th gen nav computer for a decent price? would prefer to buy a gen 3 computer but if i cant get one, i guess the gen 2 then gen 4. NE1 CLOSE BY WITH A 2001-2005 GS300 OR GS430 WITH NAV WILLING TO LET ME SWAP MY COMP WITH YOURS (TEMPORARILY) TO VERIFY THIS IS MY PROBLEM WITH THE UNIT?
Old 01-12-09, 02:19 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

welll 1 thing for sure is, your computer is working, if it was broken your radio will not work/climate and so on
everything works by the computer climate/radio/cd alll that
but you have a gs430, so you have a dvd rom for your nav
the gs400 does not, gs400 has one computer that all in one
gs430 dont, you have a dvd player nav, gs400 dont
i belive there is a problem with the dvd player / dvd rom nav map disk
i dont know how your dvd player works? if it will play music cd or movied if the car is in parked try some thing see if the dvd player is working order......
iam not to sure on gs430 dvd nav
but its worth a shot
um i thought the radio/climate were controlled seperately.....? i was unaware i had a DVD rom as my car lacks the function to play dvd movies and it plays music cd's from the cd changer in the glove box! I dont have a dvd player, i have a cd changer in the glove box BUT it WILL NOT play dvd's as i have tried that months ago!
Old 01-13-09, 06:23 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

i dont have this sorry.....

isnt this JUST a cover over the cd spot on the gps? maybe i was supposed to have this, but mine doesnt have voice activated ANYTHING. does ne 2001 gs430 or gs300 with nav have this in their trunk...the black strip covering where you load the gps disc?

Last edited by sakataj; 01-16-09 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 02:51 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

bumpin to the top....ne1 else....i got people saying its my comp and people saying its not...
how do i diagnose this for 100% fact?

Quick Reply: Nav Problems can someone help or steer me in right direction