GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Frustration abounds: My Garmin GPS & GS400

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 05:29 PM
Bucko1976
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustration abounds: My Garmin GPS & GS400

Hi All,

I own two different Garmin GPS units. Recently, they've both stopped working in my car (GS400, '99). I use a typical cigarette outlet to connect to the GPS. Previously the Garmins worked fine, but something has happened in the past month. Neither Garmin will work in either outlet. However, when I plug my cell phone charger into the same outlets, I can successfully charge my phone. The red lights on the power cables come on, but the Garmins aren't "turning on". I thought it might be a fuse in the cig lighter, but then why would my cell phone charger work?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-09, 05:46 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off Welcome to CL. Thats weird? I had a similar problem but it turned out my fuse was blown. You are getting power so have you tried it in another car?
Old 01-04-09, 05:51 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try it in the power outlet in the center console and see if it works there. Sounds like a Garmin problem. Could also just be the broken wire in the power cord somewhere.
Old 01-04-09, 06:11 PM
Bucko1976
Driver School Candidate

I've tried the Garmin's in my wife's car (Accord) and they work w/o a problem. I even went and bought a new charge cord thinking it was a connection problem, but that wasn't it. I've also tried the Garmin's in the center console and the same issue exists- they won't turn on, but my cell phone charger works.

Drew- agree that it's weird, that's why I'm so frustrated.

Garmins also work when they're plugged into my laptop. It's got to be something with the outlets, but for both of them to have the same problem is the annoying part.
Old 01-04-09, 06:28 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

check your cars battery mine had the same problem and the battery was going bad in the car, once i replaced the battery the Garmin began to work on car cig power again.

In the mean time just give it a full charge and run it cordless
Old 01-04-09, 06:43 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring the GPS system to a Radioshack. They'll definitely try and help you out with that. Sounds like a blown fuse on the car charger wire, or it may be the wire it self. Have them check it out
Old 01-04-09, 07:07 PM
GS3loco
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This makes no sense to me either. Are you sure your cell phone is charging or does it just appear to? Could your Garmin may be drawing more power than the cell phone and therefore causing a load problem with the outlets? I would think they would draw about the same amps.

Right now, in my 99 GS, nothing will work with my cig. lighter but my console lighter works fine. I'm still trying to determine what the problem might be and I've narrowed it down to my cig. lighter socket.

The local Lexus dealership isn't much help with these types of problems. I just need their advice, not their time even though I know this takes a minor amount.
Old 01-04-09, 08:07 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...............

I have experienced the same problem with my center console outlet, and i do believe I know what it is.
Whenever I plug my cell phone charger into it, it works perfectly. But whenever I plug my dc/ac converter into it, it doesnt work. Actually it does power up (it has a little green light on it which actually lights up but is extremely dim. And its actually flashing from very dim to off.)
Now my converter did actually use to work with this same outlet, but since then i have installed a few items, (direct ipod unit, a/v unit, lux-link alarm, tein edfc, and sense-o-shock). I do believe i tapped into the center outlet console outlet for possibly at lease one of these items, therefore i believe the problem lies with the amount of current being drawn from that source. (the center console outlet). Maybe a fuse problem or somehow it just cant handle that much power being drawn from it. Which is why i believe the cell phone charger works, due to it drawing less power/voltage, versus the dc/ac converter which im sure need a lot more power to work.
One of these days i will open up my console and verify this. But i am pretty sure that is the problem.

Also i have no ciggarette lighter because i installed an xm unit permenantly in place of the ashtray, cigarette lighter.

Last edited by LALEX1; 01-04-09 at 08:09 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-07-09, 10:43 PM
Bucko1976
Driver School Candidate

Default Might be on to something

Originally Posted by LALEX1
I have experienced the same problem with my center console outlet, and i do believe I know what it is.
Whenever I plug my cell phone charger into it, it works perfectly. But whenever I plug my dc/ac converter into it, it doesnt work. Actually it does power up (it has a little green light on it which actually lights up but is extremely dim. And its actually flashing from very dim to off.)
Now my converter did actually use to work with this same outlet, but since then i have installed a few items, (direct ipod unit, a/v unit, lux-link alarm, tein edfc, and sense-o-shock). I do believe i tapped into the center outlet console outlet for possibly at lease one of these items, therefore i believe the problem lies with the amount of current being drawn from that source. (the center console outlet). Maybe a fuse problem or somehow it just cant handle that much power being drawn from it. Which is why i believe the cell phone charger works, due to it drawing less power/voltage, versus the dc/ac converter which im sure need a lot more power to work.
One of these days i will open up my console and verify this. But i am pretty sure that is the problem.

Also i have no ciggarette lighter because i installed an xm unit permenantly in place of the ashtray, cigarette lighter.
Lalex, you and a previous poster mentioned that it might be power/amp/current issue. I have my XM satellite installed as well, but truth be told I don't know where it's drawing from (as it was professionally installed). The crazy thing, for me, is that this is a brand new problem. I've had the XM and Garmins both running in the car for 3 years plus. You're right in the fact that the small lights on the dc/ac converter light up when plugged in, but the Garmin still doesn't turn on. Would you suggest replacing fuses as an easy first step? If that doesn't work, is it something that a Lexus dealership will have to help me with?

Thanks for all the advice/ideas, I appreciate it everyone.