GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Driving around in Snow mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 12:08 PM
Emil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving around in Snow mode

Would it be ok to do it daily?

It keeps the rev's lower and gear changes are done sooner in the rev range,so when using the GS in towns and stop start traffic would it be ok for me to leave it in Snow mode?
Old 12-19-08, 12:18 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's just like you driving very lightly on the throttle, no problems.
Old 12-19-08, 12:38 PM
Emil
Pole Position

thanks for the quick reply mate,anyone else got any views?
Old 12-19-08, 01:23 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil
Would it be ok to do it daily?

It keeps the rev's lower and gear changes are done sooner in the rev range,so when using the GS in towns and stop start traffic would it be ok for me to leave it in Snow mode?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
it's just like you driving very lightly on the throttle, no problems.
Old 12-19-08, 01:29 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

What do you gain from this? Does it save gas?
Old 12-19-08, 01:31 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It saves gas, and wear.

It's like halving the HP in the car. (sorta, it just doesn't let the revs go over 3k, which is enough in the V8 GS's most of the time anyway!)
Old 12-19-08, 03:46 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

snow mode would be best choice if youre in stop and go like you have planned. i tried that a few months back and i get around 256 miles before the low fuel light turned on. regularly i get around 220-230 w out snow mode. i drive around downtown brklyn and the city really often so 90% of my time is in stop & go traffic.
Old 12-19-08, 03:55 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys wtf? Who cares about gas mileage when it's $2 per gallon?!?!
Old 12-19-08, 03:55 PM
Top Hat
Banned

Snowmode in traffic is amazing. I used it in my LS400 and use it in my GS400. The gas mileage (which I watched religiously when testing to see if there was a difference) is only about 1mpg difference. So its definitely not for saving gas. However, it makes driving in traffic sooooo smooth and easy its not even funny.
Old 12-19-08, 04:16 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

to OP, it helps to drive in snow mode especially on the highway and most definitely if you have a lead foot when trying to pass people. it feels like the car stays in high gear. i used it when driving from MI to CT and was able to get 27 mpg. probably could've gotten better but I-80 gets real boring real fast.
Old 12-19-08, 05:03 PM
PhoenixINX
Rookie

Originally Posted by litesoarer
It saves gas, and wear.

It's like halving the HP in the car. (sorta, it just doesn't let the revs go over 3k, which is enough in the V8 GS's most of the time anyway!)
It's nothing like that... and it absolutely lets you rev over 3k.

Our throttle is computer controlled, and all this does is numb the entire system down. If you floor it, the car will still go full throttle... There is no limitation to RPM, etc.

During our last ice storm last week I have to say I was VERY impressed with the system! Combined with proper downshifting and forcing the car to stay in a particular gear and the snow mode, the car felt plenty safe to drive.
Old 12-19-08, 06:19 PM
01GS430
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am not impressed with my lexus do in snow. From now on i use my truck to drive to work when it is snowing out. I live on the hilly area and i live the top of the hill which cause lexus to fail to go top. The lexus would spin and get stuck even 1 1/2 inches of snow. I had winter tires on. I learned my mistake for having a RWD in snow chain area. I even used snow mode.

But still i drive this car when it is not snowing.

Using snow mode on the highway seems to be interesting. I may test this tomorrow and tell you the results.
If it works then i ll be using it more on the highway cept for the rush hours here on I91 north and south

Last edited by 01GS430; 12-19-08 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-19-08, 07:46 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

I drive my GS400 everywhere in the snow, never got stuck too.

BTW, it's surprisingly easy to drift in the GS400 in the snow covered parking lot.
Old 12-19-08, 08:14 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01GS430
I am not impressed with my lexus do in snow. From now on i use my truck to drive to work when it is snowing out. I live on the hilly area and i live the top of the hill which cause lexus to fail to go top. The lexus would spin and get stuck even 1 1/2 inches of snow. I had winter tires on. I learned my mistake for having a RWD in snow chain area. I even used snow mode.

Using snow mode on the highway seems to be interesting. I may test this tomorrow and tell you the results.
If it works then i ll be using it more on the highway cept for the rush hours here on I91 north and south
What part of CT? I have to drive mine tonight for the first time in this winter fiasco we had last night. Luckily, it's only 1.6Mi down the road with 2 left hand turns.
Old 12-19-08, 08:51 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01GS430

If you actually have snow tires and not just all-seasons, you should have no problems in 1.5 inches. I have blizzaks this year and they hook up more than i ever would have imagined.
I've found in certain situations, it helps to turn off the traction control but as a general rule I would always leave it on.

Quick Reply: Driving around in Snow mode