GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how much is it for a good paintjob??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 01:06 PM
getindavan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much is it for a good paintjob??

whats a good deal to get my car painted its original color, i think i would do the whole car with minor body work. how long do paint jobs last?
Old 12-16-08, 01:20 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

It's all depend on the color and how many coat of paint they have to shoot..I have asked my painter at my dealership and they says it could run between $1000.00 - $4000.00 complete..or it would be less depend on the works..
Old 12-16-08, 02:32 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'd never pay $1000 for a paintjob. Good materials cost more than that. If you're keeping the same color, $3500-5000 would be a price range including minor dings and scratches.
Old 12-16-08, 08:00 PM
mod155
Driver School Candidate

It depends on where you're taking it to .....a guy that works at a reputable shop but does it at home on the side could be your best route as long as he is really good because he doesn't have the overhead at home that your big shops do . I would think about $ 3500-4000 for one done at home on the side or about $5000-6500 at the big shop . If you pay $1000-2000 ........more than likely you wasted your money or the guy was absolutely starving . Good Luck !
Old 12-16-08, 08:11 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mod155
It depends on where you're taking it to .....a guy that works at a reputable shop but does it at home on the side could be your best route as long as he is really good because he doesn't have the overhead at home that your big shops do . I would think about $ 3500-4000 for one done at home on the side or about $5000-6500 at the big shop . If you pay $1000-2000 ........more than likely you wasted your money or the guy was absolutely starving . Good Luck !
Anybody that pays 5k-6k for painting a car the same color with no bodywork needed is a goddamn fool straight up and down. I have seen perfect paintjobs for 3k with body work it all depends on the person and how bad the body is. If you have rust then 5k i understand.
Old 12-16-08, 08:14 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

imo 3k sounds reasonable
Old 12-16-08, 08:19 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say DIY
Old 12-16-08, 08:22 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

6k is wayyyy too much..if i were to repaint the whole car..$3500 would be a good price
Old 12-16-08, 08:23 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by farquad
imo 3k sounds reasonable
Yikes! That won't approach factory quality, but might look okay...

I spent $2K just for paint materials... I'm talking about the liquid stuff, in a can... at Jobber price.

Took two days to take the car apart, two days to put it back together (removing window trim, door handles, lights, bumpers, lower panels, etc.) three weeks of custom body work and prep, three days of colorsanding and buffing...

Even at $100/ day labor the numbers don't work at the $3K amount.

For a top quality job, budget $8K + before other expenses like new windshield glass (might as well), new windshield upper moulding, new headlight lenses, chrome side mouldings, replacement clips, etc. Mine added up, due to the three colors, PPG Vibrance Paint, custom fender mods, hood mods, rear bumper mods, carbon fiber inlays, custom third brake light, etc.

Even a half-**** job at Maaco would run $1000+... can't imagine dealing with all the overspray and tape lines, though...

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 12-16-08 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 08:26 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

^^u really spent that much??? thats crazy..i thought cali had the "hook ups"..ive seen people get full cars redone at about $3500-$4k and it looks just as good as stock..no runs or anything..$10k..that better have an option where u can change the color of ur car anytime u want or something..thats jus wayy over-priced IMO
Old 12-16-08, 08:28 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 4play4dr
^^u really spent that much??? thats crazy..i thought cali had the "hook ups"..ive seen people get full cars redone at about $3500-$4k and it looks just as good as stock..no runs or anything..$10k..that better have an option where u can change the color of ur car anytime u want or something..thats jus wayy over-priced IMO
That WAS with hook-ups.

I work in the industry...

Have you seen my car in person?

It is beyond "as good as stock..."
Old 12-16-08, 08:33 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

i havent..but in the pics it looks really really shiny..but i aint rich..so maybe im biased bout spending that much money..haha
Old 12-16-08, 08:39 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SoCalSC4, thanks for the post man...lots of people on here would be ok with a 3k paintjob...but then again, we work in the industry and know how to spot crap paintjobs with ease as opposed to some hobbyist. Like I said before 2k in materials is the average and can get higher depending on the color. If you're only paying 3k for a paintjob, either the quality isn't completely there or the material is below par. You have to remember that most of these guys are going to a collision shops and production work is always subpar... just to show I'm not talking out my butt about knowing quality work, this is what our shop put out for Jesse James' hot rod shop here in Austin

Old 12-16-08, 08:53 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

i see where that much money can get u..i was jus tryna say that if ur not looking for crazy show quality and can settle for a little less..$3500 would give u a pretty good one..but then again..this is from what I'VE seen..my eyes arent in the industry like u guys'
Old 12-16-08, 09:02 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedaddic
SoCalSC4, thanks for the post man...lots of people on here would be ok with a 3k paintjob...but then again, we work in the industry and know how to spot crap paintjobs with ease as opposed to some hobbyist. Like I said before 2k in materials is the average and can get higher depending on the color. If you're only paying 3k for a paintjob, either the quality isn't completely there or the material is below par. You have to remember that most of these guys are going to a collision shops and production work is always subpar... just to show I'm not talking out my butt about knowing quality work, this is what our shop put out for Jesse James' hot rod shop here in Austin

Well excuse us since we arent in the industry and able to rub shoulders with the big dogs. Whatever nobody around here looking to get a custom triple pearl bye bye birdy blue and black color change pearl dipped in gold speckles paintjob for a daily driver. 10k paintjobs for a daily driver doesnt make sense and trust me you can get a damn good paintjob for 3.5k and if its done by a pro who cares about his work i bet you wont find a flaw. Show paintjobs and daily driver paintjobs are two different paintjobs. So for us lesser people who arent in the industry lol "whatever that supposed to mean" we are not coming out our pocket 10k for no damn lowrider paintjob.

Last edited by japspec; 12-16-08 at 09:05 PM. Reason: none

Quick Reply: how much is it for a good paintjob??