GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A/C Blowing Hot Air

Old 12-15-08, 01:32 PM
morocca
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Blowing Hot Air

I have searched all the forums and no answers. The A/C in my 2000 GS400 is blowing hot air,I assumed I needed freon(134a),so I tried to recharge it but it does not even take any of it. The gauge it comes with is in the red area and does not budge from there. The thing that spins ,does spin when the A/C is on but thats about it no A/C... Anyone know of a fix ???

Thx Much..
The following users liked this post:
Skyone (08-28-22)
Old 12-15-08, 03:52 PM
morocca
Driver School Candidate

Anyone??
Old 12-16-08, 10:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

are u sure its not a servo motor? try searching the old posts....look for something regarding a temp servo motor or just type in servo motors.... if u look at MY old posts you'll find alot bout this! does the a/c come on at all? does it EVER blow cold air?
Old 12-16-08, 11:29 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

most likely a servo...mine had the same problem a year ago
Old 12-16-08, 02:11 PM
morocca
Driver School Candidate

Will try that,today I went to a place called ice cold air and they told me that I needed a new compressor and a drier.
Old 12-16-08, 02:37 PM
morocca
Driver School Candidate

OK as I have read there,it seems like hot air is blowing from one side and cold from another. I don't have that problem I have no a/c at all. It just blows hot air. My question is this,how do you know if a compressor is bad ? What are the signs ? I don't want to change it if I don't have to. On top of the fact that they are very expensive. But one thing I do remember is that before this happened when I turned the car and there was always a squealing noise.
Old 12-17-08, 09:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by morocca
OK as I have read there,it seems like hot air is blowing from one side and cold from another. I don't have that problem I have no a/c at all. It just blows hot air. My question is this,how do you know if a compressor is bad ? What are the signs ? I don't want to change it if I don't have to. On top of the fact that they are very expensive. But one thing I do remember is that before this happened when I turned the car and there was always a squealing noise.
ok ok........slow down....DONT go get a a/c compressor just yet! the hot air blowing from one vent and cold from another IS A SERVO MOTOR PROBLEM specifically the temp servo but if you gonna replace one go ahead and do the mode servo to so you DONT double pay labor on this! my gawd do ne noobs use the search nemore? i have posted on 3 separate posts bout servo motors in last 5 mins NO lie! since i do work in the HVAC industry (i manage a heating and air supply house in memphis) is the compressor coming on at all when u push the a/c button? atleast they recommended a new drier....i dont care what NE1 SAYS IF U CHANGE A COMPRESSOR CHANGE THE DRIER ESPECIALLY ON A HOME UNIT AND ESPECIALLY IF U HAD A BURNOUT, new drier will help clean junk out! i wouldn't change the compressor in the winter neways....if i was you! only need for defrost depending on location an there are other ways around that! squealing shouldnt be a a/c issue!
Old 12-17-08, 10:44 AM
morocca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
ok ok........slow down....DONT go get a a/c compressor just yet! the hot air blowing from one vent and cold from another IS A SERVO MOTOR PROBLEM specifically the temp servo but if you gonna replace one go ahead and do the mode servo to so you DONT double pay labor on this! my gawd do ne noobs use the search nemore? i have posted on 3 separate posts bout servo motors in last 5 mins NO lie! since i do work in the HVAC industry (i manage a heating and air supply house in memphis) is the compressor coming on at all when u push the a/c button? atleast they recommended a new drier....i dont care what NE1 SAYS IF U CHANGE A COMPRESSOR CHANGE THE DRIER ESPECIALLY ON A HOME UNIT AND ESPECIALLY IF U HAD A BURNOUT, new drier will help clean junk out! i wouldn't change the compressor in the winter neways....if i was you! only need for defrost depending on location an there are other ways around that! squealing shouldnt be a a/c issue!
You misunderstood me,it is not blowing hot and cold air. Its only blowing hot air. The compressor does come on when the A/C is on but it still just blows hot air. Thats why I am assuming its not the servo motor. I'm just trying to be sure its not the compressor. Oh yeah it's 83 in Orlando,Fl today. Black on Black car gets hot as hell down here.
Old 12-18-08, 10:34 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by morocca
You misunderstood me,it is not blowing hot and cold air. Its only blowing hot air. The compressor does come on when the A/C is on but it still just blows hot air. Thats why I am assuming its not the servo motor. I'm just trying to be sure its not the compressor. Oh yeah it's 83 in Orlando,Fl today. Black on Black car gets hot as hell down here.
ok after readin this ITS 99% the servo motor.there are SEVERAL other things it COULD be but this is most common.does it make a grinding and humming or clicking sound when u start the car? take the glovebox off and listen to what you hear but you should be able to hear it without having to do that! have you checked the cabin air filter and make sure ITS CLEAN AND YOU HAVE AIR FLOW?
Old 12-18-08, 03:33 PM
morocca
Driver School Candidate

ok after readin this ITS 99% the servo motor.there are SEVERAL other things it COULD be but this is most common.does it make a grinding and humming or clicking sound when u start the car? take the glovebox off and listen to what you hear but you should be able to hear it without having to do that! have you checked the cabin air filter and make sure ITS CLEAN AND YOU HAVE AIR FLOW?
Cabin air filter is clean,there is no clicking sound though. I am hoping its that servo motor.. By the way thanks for your help so far,I really appreciate it.
Old 12-19-08, 08:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so no humming or grinding noise either huh? u sure its not just low on freon? do u know what the high/low pressure was when u hooked a gauge to it?IF ITS NOT the servo motor (which you better hope it is, as a/c work is gonna $$$) it kinda sounds like its low on freon or a clogged expansion valve....does the compressor kick on and kick off immediately and repeat this or what? hook up some gauges (or have a mechanic do this if u don't know what i mean) and tell me the high and low side pressure....
Old 12-19-08, 02:13 PM
morocca
Driver School Candidate

so no humming or grinding noise either huh? u sure its not just low on freon? do u know what the high/low pressure was when u hooked a gauge to it?IF ITS NOT the servo motor (which you better hope it is, as a/c work is gonna $$$) it kinda sounds like its low on freon or a clogged expansion valve....does the compressor kick on and kick off immediately and repeat this or what? hook up some gauges (or have a mechanic do this if u don't know what i mean) and tell me the high and low side pressure....
I tried putting freon in but it will not take any,I use one of the ones that has a gauge attached to it,the low pressure read 90-100.As far as the compressor it kicks on and does not stop,other than it blowing hot air it works fine. I haven't thought of an expansion valve,where is it located ? No wait I'll do a search.. Thx.
Old 12-19-08, 02:16 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

are you sure you hooked up the recharge canister to the correct (low pressure) valve? if the needle stays in the red obviously there's a problem.
Old 12-19-08, 04:24 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
are you sure you hooked up the recharge canister to the correct (low pressure) valve? if the needle stays in the red obviously there's a problem.
true dat. i haven't recharged a GS yet (and hopefully won't have to) but there should be two valves for putting in the refrigerant R134a I think, one upper and one lower valve. you need to put it in the upper one while revving your engine and blasting your a/c. may wanna have a homie helping you out. eventually your a/c should start getting cooler (be sure you've got the car set to a cool temp.).
Old 12-19-08, 05:33 PM
morocca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jspecdan
true dat. i haven't recharged a GS yet (and hopefully won't have to) but there should be two valves for putting in the refrigerant R134a I think, one upper and one lower valve. you need to put it in the upper one while revving your engine and blasting your a/c. may wanna have a homie helping you out. eventually your a/c should start getting cooler (be sure you've got the car set to a cool temp.).
On the 400 its on the lower side next to the compressor and yes it is in the red,meaning I have a problem. My only thing is what is the problem so I can fix it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C Blowing Hot Air