GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Carbon Fiber Pillar...Pic Request & Where Can I buy them?

Old 12-03-08, 07:08 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Pillar...Pic Request & Where Can I buy them?

My stock pillars is some what starched up (not really noticeable) so I am thinking about replacing them with some CF...I need not just the door pillars but also the rear quarter.
Those who have it already, please post some picture(s).

Where can i get them?

I seen a few on CL and Ebay however, the rear quarter is not included...I am looking for a complete set not just for the doors.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-08, 07:13 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

doooooooooooont do it. I did the pillars and after a while they start to kind of yellow and look really bad. i took mine off. The only place to get the rear quarter piece is from carson, the tom's piece, and the pair is something retarded like 200 bucks just for the 2 rear pieces.
Old 12-03-08, 07:25 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
doooooooooooont do it. I did the pillars and after a while they start to kind of yellow and look really bad. i took mine off.
Whoa!! not cool at all. Did you get them off Ebay perhaps that is why they are fading?
Old 12-03-08, 07:33 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lowKut
Whoa!! not cool at all. Did you get them off Ebay perhaps that is why they are fading?
i forget if i got them on ebay or lextasy or some place like that.

it was probably ebay, so i have to say i half expected it to happen, they're just a royal b(&#h to get off once you get em on there. That's the other thing, if you do decide to do it, be VERY careful when applying them. Touch the bottom edge to the rubber on the bottom of the pillar, make sure its flush, then SLOWLY start pushing in on it and moving toward the top. Then, once it's on, i took (no joke) a kitchen rolling pin, and went over them a few times with body weight and a little extra force just to make sure they were good and seated on there. No carwash or wind or rain ever even came close to ripping them off after, and I was only slightly successful at removing them (lots of adhesive left behind and IMPOSSIBLE to remove)
Old 12-03-08, 07:46 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
i forget if i got them on ebay or lextasy or some place like that.

it was probably ebay, so i have to say i half expected it to happen, they're just a royal b(&#h to get off once you get em on there. That's the other thing, if you do decide to do it, be VERY careful when applying them. Touch the bottom edge to the rubber on the bottom of the pillar, make sure its flush, then SLOWLY start pushing in on it and moving toward the top. Then, once it's on, i took (no joke) a kitchen rolling pin, and went over them a few times with body weight and a little extra force just to make sure they were good and seated on there. No carwash or wind or rain ever even came close to ripping them off after, and I was only slightly successful at removing them (lots of adhesive left behind and IMPOSSIBLE to remove)
That would be so traumatizing no joke. All that work just to put it on then having it starting to fade, when you removed it you are stuck w/ crap.

I really want them though, unless I can find a way to remove the marks from the stock pillars.
Wish me luck!!
Old 12-03-08, 08:14 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

arnt you supposed to wax your carbon fiber every once in awhile to keep it shiny and not fade?
Old 12-03-08, 08:44 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by muhbuhtuh
arnt you supposed to wax your carbon fiber every once in awhile to keep it shiny and not fade?
did it, still didnt help any. it didn't fade, it was still shiny it just started to get yellowed over.
Old 12-03-08, 08:46 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ooo i see. sucks you had to take it off with all that trouble lol
Old 12-03-08, 09:40 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheap reliable source is to Carbon Fiber Vinyl sticker it. I had it on my BMW and three years later it still looked as good as day 1! I've been thinking about doing it on my GS also.
Old 12-04-08, 06:38 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Cheap reliable source is to Carbon Fiber Vinyl sticker it. I had it on my BMW and three years later it still looked as good as day 1! I've been thinking about doing it on my GS also.
Where did you purchase the cf vinyl from?
Old 12-04-08, 07:16 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Carson has genuine carbon fiber c pillar garnishes. "Tom's" & "Aristo" are available.. Here is a pic of the Tom's on my car.. I've had them on since 2006 & there are no signs of wear & tear.

Old 12-04-08, 08:55 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Carson has genuine carbon fiber c pillar garnishes. "Tom's" & "Aristo" are available.. Here is a pic of the Tom's on my car.. I've had them on since 2006 & there are no signs of wear & tear.

Looking Awesome!!

How much did you pay? Also, did you get the door pillars as well?
Old 12-04-08, 09:11 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lowKut
Looking Awesome!!

How much did you pay? Also, did you get the door pillars as well?
I paid $150 bucks back then I believe. Steve may still have them for the same price. I did not do the door pillars.. I don't want liminated pillars on my doors as that is all I see available for the Lexus GS.. Looks tacky on the doors in laminated form. There is a company that makes non laminated genuine carbon fiber/kevlar door pillars that would look fantastic! http://compositeenvisions.com/ I've seen these style pillars on a few E46 M3's..
Old 12-04-08, 09:25 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

yeah i know you can get them at carson but they're like 250 bucks if i remember correctly...
Old 12-04-08, 09:27 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I paid $150 bucks back then I believe. Steve may still have them for the same price. I did not do the door pillars.. I don't want liminated pillars on my doors as that is all I see available for the Lexus GS.. Looks tacky on the doors in laminated form. There is a company that makes non laminated genuine carbon fiber/kevlar door pillars that would look fantastic! http://compositeenvisions.com/ I've seen these style pillars on a few E46 M3's..
Thanks for the link. The company do not currently sell anything for the 2nd gen GS however, I contacted them in regards to doing so. I only hope they can/will (fingers crossed here). Their products looks real nice btw

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Pillar...Pic Request & Where Can I buy them?