GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone else notice the cluster (dash) back lighting seems dim?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 01:04 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It makes sense GRAND_LS 4 now that you mention it. Problem is i think mine is much dimmer than it should be , I mean i am straining to see the dash at night. My lighter is brighter on the gauges than the lighting.
Options so far is to have a second source light up the sensor like a small LED .
Disconnect the senor with unknown effects.
I'll call some guys at Lexus head office and see if their is a fix.
I am still waiting for the low idle update on the ECU for my LS as well from them.
Old 12-06-08, 04:03 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus ASM
Are they really cathode tubes?? Or are they the electro luminescent indiglo type? If they are the cathode type I dont see why you couldn't put one of those cold cathode tubes in.
I haven't pulled my cluster apart yet but im sure it can be done, anybody got a picture of the back of the speedometer, tachometer etc??? That would answer alot of question about the feasability of replacing the tubes.
Yup--they're about 1/8" diameter CCFL bulbs bent around most of each gauge. Where could these be re-made? A neon sign store?
Old 12-06-08, 09:51 AM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think one could make a ring of LED's modeled after the shape of the cathode tube. That should work.

I'll take my speedometer out and try this sunday.
Old 12-06-08, 10:17 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexus ASM
I think one could make a ring of LED's modeled after the shape of the cathode tube. That should work.

I'll take my speedometer out and try this sunday.
do a DIY write up, or at least take pics
Old 12-06-08, 01:35 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah--PLEASE do this. I was also looking for an LED string or rope lighting of sorts, but they either couldn't be cut-to-length, or the spacing between lights was too far. I'm not sure I have the expertise to use individual LEDs strung together.
Old 12-08-08, 12:23 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Well after grand's explanation , i took an LED key chain and aimed it at the solar sensor right in front of the driver on the dash by the windshield edge.
It got bright and i could see again at night , After turning the key chain on and off a few times , the back lighting stayed brighter until i got home.

HEY HEY , i started the thread , i want first dibs on a fix, lmao .
Old 12-08-08, 07:02 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Ok I pulled out my cluster today and took it apart... This task is going to be a tough one. Ill let the first picture explain.

What you see ( the spiral coated tube) is one of two cold cathode glass tubes that cup the tachometer and fuel and temp gauges.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else notice the cluster (dash)  back lighting seems dim?-clusterupclose.jpg  
Old 12-08-08, 10:54 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Get those cheap aftermarket rope/string lights that are thin and run that beside the lighting so it adds to it all the time with the ignition.
$20 and be done.
I can;t find any to link to on the web.
Old 12-09-08, 06:44 AM
lexus ASM
Driver

i've been researching that already, its not that simple, the space the ccfl tubes occupies is designed for its diameter. There is not enough room to add any other lighting material within the confines of that space.

Im trying to find a junk yard cluster with which I can test fit different LED's to determine the best set up.
Old 12-09-08, 12:31 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

ok this has peaked my interest again
Old 12-09-08, 06:49 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A wild guess. Would removing the tubes and making the backing more reflective work or are the tubes not bright enough?
Old 12-09-08, 11:34 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

I understand about space but the rope lights are tuly 1-2mm thick if that. It is about the thickness of a rubber band and looks like it could be wedged into the inside curve of the CFL tube.
Finally i found a place .
http://www.neonstring.com
A little pricey compared to buying a small unit complete for $20 like i used to wholesale.
If anyone else finds something it goes under the name " neon (rope OR string) light"
Old 12-11-08, 05:42 AM
JC&AB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the sensor the problem?

Just a question. If the display is OK in daylight then it must be working properly? If it was not providing enough light at night, then wouldn't it be worse in bright sunshine, so you could not see it at all? If it goes dim at night then the circuit that dims the light must be at fault not the light itself.

I'm not sure how Lexus dims the light, but its not simple resistance dimmer. Domestic CCF lights use a pulse signal system that cuts out some of the pulses to dim the light. This is so fast that the eye never notices it. The brain will average the pulses of light and will cause us to 'see' a brightness level lower than what we normally perceive to be full-on. As long as the process is fast enough, the eye and brain will continue to average the result. This produces very effective dimming down to 1% of full brightness.

So the question to any electronics experts out there is how do we check whether it is the sensor or the dimming circuit?
Old 12-11-08, 10:16 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

The circuit works just is inadequate at night for me.
With it being a cycle lighting system it is even more reason i don't want to touch it.
To change the actual dimming you need to
manipulate the solar sensor eye with more light
add voltage between the sensor and the controller to tell it more light is there electrically.
add a switch with variable resistance to control just the dash back lighting with a twist as you want any time.
I personally like just adding a secondary lighting structure to supplement the original. Easy to install , less messy it works. Plus you can pick a new colour if you want.
Old 12-12-08, 09:25 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think those neon string lights would emit enough light... even when used with the existing ccfl it probably won't be much of an improvement but I'd be glad if someone proves me wrong... that would mean we have options now!

Quick Reply: Anyone else notice the cluster (dash) back lighting seems dim?