GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1999 Lexus GS 400 Starting Problems

Old 01-21-11, 04:10 PM
ANTW1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter

The starter is attached to a plastic casing. Im struggling to detach that darn thing. Im scared to break it. Can anyone tell me how its done?
Old 08-09-11, 11:59 PM
painguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeLorean00
Hello I have a 1999 Lexus GS 400 and am having problems with my starter. When the car sits over night and I come out I will turn the key and only get a "click" but if I turn the key 2-5 times it will start. The battery does not seem to be bad, because when it does start it cranks over very fast and smooth. So does this sound like a bad starter? I know that the starter is located under the intake and is a big job to replace. I have read somewhere that this could be just the contacts on the starter going bad, is this the case? If so where can I buy just the contacts?

Thanks for any help!!

-Chris

PS- I did use the search button first but didn't find all my answers.
I am using your post and pics as the bible. No one has posted as comprensive a guide as you have. I have one question before diving in. All the pics show the starter as just a round cylinder but out of the car the other pics show the 3 bolt cover to the contacts and plunger, the pics don't look the same is there something that I'm missing?

I want to just replace the contacts and plunger but your pics of the starter still in the valley only show a round starter.

Any clarification would be helpful............ Lee
Old 08-10-11, 12:02 AM
painguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeLorean00
Clean Up and Reassembly.

I then replaced a bent control arm.

I am using your post and pics as the bible. No one has posted as comprensive a guide as you have. I have one question before diving in. All the pics show the starter as just a round cylinder but out of the car the other pics show the 3 bolt cover to the contacts and plunger, the pics don't look the same is there something that I'm missing?

I want to just replace the contacts and plunger but your pics of the starter still in the valley only show a round starter.

Any clarification would be helpful............ Lee
The following users liked this post:
LS400FAN (02-09-19)
Old 08-10-11, 11:33 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Once the starter is out it will be obvious.

The 3 -8mm bolts are hidden from view when the starter is in.

You must remove the starter to replace the contacts and plunger, no way around it.

Good luck
Old 09-22-11, 03:52 AM
David1969
Pole Position

I think the starter is beginning to go out. Not sure whether to replace the entire unit or just the plunger/contacts. For a few extra bucks I may just buy the entire starter - do it once, and don't worry about it for many years, hopefully. I'm very happy that the OEM starter lasted 12 years and shows how good the parts on these cars are.

Thanks to the OP for this thread and the pictures included as they have benefited many of us on here. Since I'm a mechanical pariah, I'll be contacting my mechanic to replace my starter ASAP. Just came to CL to see why my car is not starting since alternator is new and battery (Optima Yellow Top) is 2 weeks old. As always, this forum saves me BIG $ and time resolving these types of mechanical issues that are becoming common place with our 10 (plus or minus a few years) year old vehicles.

Last edited by David1969; 09-22-11 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-04-12, 10:35 AM
SlowGS4
Driver

hey guys i need help

I just replaced my girlfriends starter on a 98 gs4, it starts up fine now....but...
-Idle jumps up and down on startup,
-it now idles high after getting warmed up,
-you need to step on the pedal hard, nearly halfway down for it to rev, and it does the same when manually done on the engine (like theres no response)
-also the vsc and vsc off, and check engine light is now on?

any ideas anyone? thanks in advance

Last edited by SlowGS4; 02-04-12 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-04-12, 01:19 PM
SlowGS4
Driver

ok so i pulled the battery again and cleaned all the harness/connections around the throttle body and manifold with crc electrical cleaner. lights are now off and throttle responds like how it should.

Now the idle jumps at like 600-700rpm and feels like its going to stall.

throttle body and maf has been cleaned, new filter and spark plugs within last 2 weeks.

any ideas anybody?

and i might have spilled some coolant into the head after taking off the manifold, not sure if this may be the problem?
Old 02-04-12, 10:39 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GS400onDUB
ok so i pulled the battery again and cleaned all the harness/connections around the throttle body and manifold with crc electrical cleaner. lights are now off and throttle responds like how it should.

Now the idle jumps at like 600-700rpm and feels like its going to stall.

throttle body and maf has been cleaned, new filter and spark plugs within last 2 weeks.

any ideas anybody?

and i might have spilled some coolant into the head after taking off the manifold, not sure if this may be the problem?
You most likely have a vacuum leak...
Double check ALL vacuum lines

Gook luck.
Old 02-04-12, 10:42 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by GS400onDUB
hey guys i need help

I just replaced my girlfriends starter on a 98 gs4, it starts up fine now....but...
-Idle jumps up and down on startup,
-it now idles high after getting warmed up,
-you need to step on the pedal hard, nearly halfway down for it to rev, and it does the same when manually done on the engine (like theres no response)
-also the vsc and vsc off, and check engine light is now on?

any ideas anyone? thanks in advance
Retrieve the codes.
Old 02-05-12, 12:06 AM
SlowGS4
Driver

Originally Posted by FrankT
You most likely have a vacuum leak...
Double check ALL vacuum lines

Gook luck.
ill take a look tomorrow and check back.

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Retrieve the codes.
will do. cel has been on before i rebuilt the starter. i think its a 02 sensor, but ill try to get them tomorrow too.
Old 02-06-12, 02:44 PM
SlowGS4
Driver

So I'm getting codes P0171, P01120. I did some research, P0171 (bank1) may be the oxygen sensor. Code P01120 may be the throttle position sensor, sometimes the gas pedal would work and sometimes it wouldn't, and when it doesn't the vsc/vsc off light comes on. I think its going bad. And I also found that the fuel vapor line has some cracks in the hose, along with the pcv hose. I will check back once i get these repaired. Car has 292k miles btw.
Old 02-09-12, 08:09 PM
SlowGS4
Driver

I got the throttle position sensor put in, was not a fun job... was kind of hard to get the the screws that hold them in but i managed to get the part on. idle does not jump anymore, and no dash lights. (havnt fixed the cracked hose either). my idle and throttle/peddle is fixed as of right now. ill have to check again in the morning(this is usually when it does not work).

Got the tps at kragens for 85 after tax. brand was bwp on box and its oem toyota denso.(stamped on part)
Old 02-28-12, 05:58 PM
Neil4Speed
Driver

Hey Everyone,

Looks like I am doing this service soon. Could you guys please tell me if its worth doing the Timing belt while I am there? How much extra labor would be involved after the intake manifold is removed to replace the timing belt.
Old 08-04-12, 11:04 PM
roccyGs400
Driver

Hi all ive done this to my car and i just replaced the whole starter and now with everything put back together i get the cel,vsc,vsc off lights and when i unplug the battery for a bit and plug it back in the lights go away but now the car wont stay idleing and after 1000 rpms the car revs and sounds fine but if i let off the gas it just dies. Can anybody help its my only car and i need it to be back on the road. who knew changing a starter would be hell. the car worked fine before with no problems besides the starter going out on me
Old 09-03-12, 06:04 PM
Jaydiii
Driver School Candidate

Hey so I followed this writeup and now when I go to start my car it dies right after starting any ideas? Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Lexus GS 400 Starting Problems