GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My car caught on fire tonight....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-08, 04:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh man, that sucks, I don't even know what to say. You might have a problem with insurance, they might tell you that the car was improperly modified and may not cover it.

In any case I don't think you're going to fix it for 4k. You're going to need a whole new front end, engine, all accessories, wiring... It wont ever be the same. Your best hope is that insurance totals it and you get a decent payment from them.
Old 11-04-08, 04:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Or maybe you can find another GS that's totaled, but with no front damage - rather one that was rear ended hard or tboned, and swap out parts.
Old 11-04-08, 04:50 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, really the only damaged parts are the wiring harness, engine plastic cover, fuse box, battery, hood, windshield cracked, and the plastic trim between the firewall and windshield. The paint is burned in that area, but nothing too serious. It just looks terrible right now because there is a ton of dirt in there. I'm confident I can fix it for $3-4k in parts if I do it myself. Now if I take it thru the ins co. then they will most likely take it to Lexus for an estimate. I know for sure the bill through them will be around $10-15k.

I'll be replacing the hood with a CF one($500) so that's cheaper than going OEM. Technically my hood isn't damaged. It's just the paint is burned, the hood still closes straight and lines up. Not warped or anything. I could pull most of the needed parts out of a junkyard car for a few hundred bucks. New windshield is going to be around $500, and a new paintjob in the engine bay will probably run me a few hundred as well. Then factor a thousand bucks in a few random extra parts. I think I can do it
Old 11-04-08, 05:14 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow this sucks to see. I would take it thru the insurance co. Thats why you pay insurance.
Old 11-04-08, 05:24 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to hear about this Jeff...on your re-build make sure you straighten out that heat problem! Obviously, the large size turbo's that your running will ALWAYS generate a ridiculous amount of heat just make sure you SUPER insulate any and all wires around that damn turbo next time! GL with everything man...it could have been A LOT worse.
Old 11-04-08, 05:35 AM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WoW, glad your o.k. Call insurance....it can't hurt. The car doesn't have to go to lexus for the repair, you can choose who ever you want. If they don't pay at all, get the harness from car-part.com, as well as the other parts u need. Be sure to take the dash out and check for hidden damage. This is a sad day
Old 11-04-08, 05:55 AM
olddog
Pole Position

wow, that's crazy.
sorry man.
why dont u let insurance total it and then buy it back.
Old 11-04-08, 05:57 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by olddog
wow, that's crazy.
sorry man.
why dont u let insurance total it and then buy it back.
I don't want my rates to skyrocket lol. I've never been in an accident before, maybe that will work to my favor? Or maybe not since they will most likely blame the fire on the mods.
Old 11-04-08, 05:58 AM
Neo300
Lead Lap

Wow, glad to see that your ok! Like Rock-a-Lex said, it could have been a lot worse!

This is what I'm thinking... Honestly, the damage doesn't look too severe. If you are confident that you can fix it for under $4000, I do it and not tell the insurance company. If you didn't ever tell them that your car was modded this much, they are only going to (possibly if they know anything about cars) screw you/not cover your damages because of the intense modifications your car has. I'm thinking just pay out-of-pocket, don't let insurance know (depending on your coverage), and this way your insurance wont go up. Structurely everything is fine so any type of bodywork (other than some minor painting) wont be necessary. This is just my $0.02 now . Good luck with everything, and keep us updated on your progress, Jeff.

~Clinton
Old 11-04-08, 06:04 AM
fobby
Pole Position

OMG that totally sucks.....but your ok (physically) that is the important part...
Old 11-04-08, 06:04 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Unhappy

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I think I can do it

Folks if ANYone can - Jeff's the man
I'm just THRILLED that you weren't in the car while it was ...overheating.
Sorry I missed out on the meet last night, but this is a heart-breaking sight. I don't know that I would've wanted to see my dream-GS en fuego in person.
Old 11-04-08, 06:06 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

yeah man, don't go through insurance.. they'll find a way to f you up, if not now, then by raising your premiums by going through them afterwards.. just get it done yourself..
that sucks though, never considered a car catching on fire like that
Old 11-04-08, 06:15 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I don't want to go thru insurance. But what is the point of having it then? lol
I have full coverage too!
Old 11-04-08, 06:16 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow this is terrible. Sorry to see this man. I hope you get her back together just as nice or build a new one. Whatever your plans are next good luck.
Old 11-04-08, 06:29 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the worst story EVER!!

Quick Reply: My car caught on fire tonight....