GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ever had trouble putting gas in your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 06:02 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever had trouble putting gas in your GS?

I know there was one previous thread where someone had the problem with putting the filler in and having it kick off after a second or two. I posted that I went through this and took it to Lexus and they said that there was a flapper valve at the bottom of the filler and that there was a piece of paper stuck to the flapper. They cleaned and reassembled, for about $200, and everything was fine.

Has anyone else been encountering this on older GSs? My GS430 is a 2K1 and my wife's GS300 is a 2K3. Originally I was willing to say that I got sloppy putting in gas additive, which both of us do pretty regulalry, but we have both been through this problem more than once now. I never had this when the car was newer. I pulled out the shop manuals and I can't find any flapper valves in the filler neck or tank. Not saying there might be one in there that doesn't show up in the manual but I am starting to wonder what is going on.

My wife's GS3 started doing it again last weekend and she took the car in. Except this time she asked what the heck is going on as at $200 a pop, this is getting expensive and we have done everything we can think of - changed gas stations, quit gas additive, etc. Well, she got the car back with the usual fix and this time N/C for a bill. I am just wondering if I am in the twilight zone or if anyone else has ever encountered this and if it is getting more prevalent on older second gens.
Old 10-07-08, 06:07 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

newer cars have screens on the end of the filler necks just before the tank, this is to stop large particles from getting into the fuel tank, and also to prevent siphoning through the filler neck.
Old 10-07-08, 07:30 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Most cars have some kind of screen but Lexus service told me there was a check valve, some cars come with that for rollover protection to prevent spillage, but, as I said, the Lexus shop manual does not show it. It isn't that you can't put fuel in the car but that you can only put in about a seconds worth before the pump shuts off indicating the tank is full. Filling the tank in two second intervals gets tiresome. I know there have been others who have experienced it, just curious if it is across the board as the second gen ages or if I am seeing something strange.
Old 10-07-08, 07:36 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
Most cars have some kind of screen but Lexus service told me there was a check valve, some cars come with that for rollover protection to prevent spillage, but, as I said, the Lexus shop manual does not show it. It isn't that you can't put fuel in the car but that you can only put in about a seconds worth before the pump shuts off indicating the tank is full. Filling the tank in two second intervals gets tiresome. I know there have been others who have experienced it, just curious if it is across the board as the second gen ages or if I am seeing something strange.
i had it happen a few times, i avoided it by removing the nozzle, and then trying again and moving the nozzle around inside the filler, eventually it went away.
Old 10-08-08, 12:29 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
i had it happen a few times, i avoided it by removing the nozzle, and then trying again and moving the nozzle around inside the filler, eventually it went away.
Man, I went through periods where I jiggled everything I could jiggle. Went to different stations. At least Lexus did something. But it is pretty funny that it only seems to stick closed. If the bugger stuck open, it wouldn't be a problem filling the car up. Oh well, guess no one else has the problem.
Old 10-08-08, 02:08 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a CEL on or an aftermarket intake?

I had this problem when I had my intake on my car (gs300) there was a hose for a gas tank vent ( I think it's the little hose running to the bottom of the stock intake, with a valve on it that wasn't hooked up properly.

The pump would constantly kick off, and I'd have to keep filling until it reached about 4 gallons of gas then would just fill the rest of the way until full.

Eventually this got worse, and I checked my intake, and that hose had come off.

I replaced the stock intake, and it fills up like normal now.
Old 10-08-08, 03:36 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Do you have a CEL on or an aftermarket intake?

I had this problem when I had my intake on my car (gs300) there was a hose for a gas tank vent ( I think it's the little hose running to the bottom of the stock intake, with a valve on it that wasn't hooked up properly.

The pump would constantly kick off, and I'd have to keep filling until it reached about 4 gallons of gas then would just fill the rest of the way until full.

Eventually this got worse, and I checked my intake, and that hose had come off.

I replaced the stock intake, and it fills up like normal now.
that would be your evap system, as previously mentioned
Old 10-08-08, 08:36 PM
dxb_8788
Pole Position

i have a problem in my gs when i refuel it my car do a weird vibration the rpm go down and up like i have stage 4 cams shaft
Old 10-08-08, 09:27 PM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Ever had trouble putting gas in your GS?
At $4+ per gallon every visit is trouble!
Old 10-08-08, 09:30 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gs4004gs
At $4+ per gallon every visit is trouble!
jeez really? we're down to around 3.25 for regular around here
Old 10-08-08, 11:00 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i may have had this problem but i think it was actually the gas station...
anyways try to not put the nozzle allll the way in... that helps for me when it did that
mayn the barrel of oil was at like 150 not its at 90 still gas is up there
we should be complaing more because if not if the barell goes up again to 150 this time gas will be 5 instead of 4...
because gas price never came down as much as it went up there is no shortage either right now
Old 10-09-08, 05:31 AM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
jeez really? we're down to around 3.25 for regular around here
You use regular in a GS?
Old 10-09-08, 07:17 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gs4004gs
You use regular in a GS?
noooo no no no no, i use 89 octane. I was just saying that for comparison purposes. even then 89 octane is only 3.35 here
Old 10-09-08, 08:05 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed this after reading about it here. sometimes if I put the nozzle in too far it will kick the pump off. if I pull it back a little it's fine. I always just thought it was the pump's fault. I get gas at the same exact place everytime.
Old 10-09-08, 08:16 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

it must have something to do with a bend in the filler neck or something, the gas must be hitting the top of the neck and bouncing back triggering the shutoff valve. When you have the nozzle inserted, lift the handle a little to angle the nozzle down, i usually try to keep it what i feel to be centered in the neck and i never have problems filling it. Believe me, it seems more than happy to take the 15odd gallons it usually takes each fill

Quick Reply: Ever had trouble putting gas in your GS?