GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Shake, Shake It Like A Polaroid Picture

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-08, 06:03 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Shake, Shake It Like A Polaroid Picture

Where do I start. I'll try to keep it short. Went down to philly Tue. No probs. Drove around philly Tue and Wed. Bumpy roads. But no probs. Still hear that metal clunking - sound changes location so I don't know where it's coming from. Had it for a month or so but no ride issues. Wed night going back home. Car's fine crossing the bridge and getting to NJ. Just over the bridge, I stop at an Amocco and decide to top off my full tank. Why? I'm stupid. $7.01 of gas. I stopped there cuz I wanted to inflate my tires. Crap, don't have my gauge on me. Decide to eye it out. Why? I'm stupid. Leave and get to NJ turnpike going about 85mph. 15miles away from Amocco, all of a sudden, randomly, my car starts to vibrate violently. It's not a steering wheel shake, the whole car is shaking. Feel it on the floor, dashboard, rear, and doors. I let go on the gas, the shaking lessens, but is still there. I stop at the next service stop. Go to the 24 hour garage and ask for a gauge cuz I think it's that. All the tires are at like 55psi so we fix that and bring it down to 35psi. Go back on the turnpike, problem is still there. No problem until 60mph or so. Stop at another Sunoco and the guy said I prob got bad gas. Put some dry gas and fuel injector in. Problem is still there. No CEL light either. Don't think it's a misfiring engine cuz there's no engine noises. Drive the 60 miles home shaking like a Polaroid picture.

I think it's related to the torque somehow. I really don't think it's a wheel/rim issue though they need to go anyway. This is an entirely new and different thing. My dad drove the car and he agrees it's probably not that. My axles are fine, as are the boots. I can't tell if my driveshaft needs to be balanced. It's either a body/chasis or drivetrain issue. The shaking occurs on acceleration and coasting at highway speeds.
Old 08-14-08, 06:05 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Forgot to add: What do you guys think of this? Anyone have a similar problem?
Old 08-14-08, 06:32 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the rear dif looked at
Old 08-14-08, 06:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

First torque the lugs to 76ftlbs in a star-pattern.

Next check your tires for any bubbles. 55psi is way too much for OEM-spec tires, if you have them.
Old 08-14-08, 07:06 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

55-PSI, sheesh that is crazy, might want to check the sidewall of the tires, might start bubbling soon.
Old 08-14-08, 07:08 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

I have 19' MMR HR2 Staggered Machined wheels w/Kumho Ecsta -
F/245/35/19
R/275/35/19.

My tires don't have any bubbles.

GSTeg, how do I torque the lugs? By the way, you're always one of the first to be of assistance. Good man. :-)
Old 08-14-08, 07:10 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Yea, that's the thing. I thought that'd mess it up too. But the guys at Sunoco checked it out and found no bubbles. I have lo pro tires.

I brought it to Sears too and they checked the threads on the tires and they were fine. The guy there said it was a rotor issue. LOL. It doesn't vibrate when I brake.
Old 08-14-08, 07:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Do you have a torque wrench? If you have access to one, set the wrench to 76ftlbs and then start torquing the lugs one by one. Follow this pattern:
Old 08-14-08, 07:55 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

I don't have a torque wrench. Do you think it's the lug nuts causing the vibration? I may just get a Hunter Road Force balance tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't take long and that they can fit me in, especially cuz it's a Friday.

Gotta move out of jersey tomorrow. Shiiiiiiiite!
Old 08-14-08, 08:08 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Go to sears or any other automotive store and buy a torque wrench.
Old 08-14-08, 11:59 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

having access to a tire mount and balance machine does wonders!

after a trip out of town, i took a turn too hot. came back and rechecked the balance on my wheels. one wheel was slightly bent, but the main issue was i noticed one of my weights fell off (the sticky tape wore off). rebalanced and double check. the shake at 50mph is minimal, but still a little there.

so my suggestion is go see if u can get ur wheels rebalanced. one of the weights could have shifted or completely fallen off.
Old 08-15-08, 05:12 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so in IT we try to eliminate 1 possible problem at a time completely.. i have had this problem before myself...

put on a stock set of wheels/tires, it you don't have access to stock ones put on any set that you know does not have a problem. if the vibration is gone then you can 100% know its related to the wheels & tires, if vibrations are still there then you can 100% say its not the wheels & tires... my problem was wheel & tire related despite all the "wonderful theories" (guesses) by tons of mechanics... hmmm

you could spend lots of time and money guessing what the problem is but try eliminating definite possibilities for sure 1 at a time. good luck man,

p.s. if it is wheel/tire related try a "road force balance", call around and ask them if they do a "road force balance".
Old 08-15-08, 07:02 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

did the wheel need hubcentric rings?
Old 08-15-08, 07:06 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah those (wheel hub rings) are good to have as well..
Old 08-15-08, 07:37 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sojah
so in IT we try to eliminate 1 possible problem at a time completely.. i have had this problem before myself...

put on a stock set of wheels/tires, it you don't have access to stock ones put on any set that you know does not have a problem. if the vibration is gone then you can 100% know its related to the wheels & tires, if vibrations are still there then you can 100% say its not the wheels & tires... my problem was wheel & tire related despite all the "wonderful theories" (guesses) by tons of mechanics... hmmm

you could spend lots of time and money guessing what the problem is but try eliminating definite possibilities for sure 1 at a time. good luck man,

p.s. if it is wheel/tire related try a "road force balance", call around and ask them if they do a "road force balance".
LOL, this reminds me of my Help Desk days. Swap the hard drive, swap the system board, swap the RAM... just a process of elimination. Always good to have a set of stockies on hand to check for sure!

Quick Reply: Shake, Shake It Like A Polaroid Picture