GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

No A/C on Idle. A/C only when driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 05:08 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No A/C on Idle. A/C only when driving

Yesterday I was driving my 99 GS300 and I started to hear noises from the engine bay or blower motor, but I wasn't sure, at the same time I felt the humidity come in 95 degree weather, Simply the A/C shutoff and it was just blowing Air from the outside.

So I shut off the A/C right away and the noise went away immidiately. Switched back on and the noise was not there.

I have not been able to re-create the sound, but now anytime I come to a stop the hot air starts comming in, and when I start driving the cold air comes in. In other terms idling no A/C when i rev to 2.5k to 3k I feel the cold air.

I have searched and I only find problems that people are having with the dual climate control.

I am going to change the serpentine belt again eventhough it is only 5 months old.

what other things should I look at, Relays, etc.
Old 08-05-08, 08:33 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Recharge the A/C?
Old 08-06-08, 11:12 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

should i clear the refrigirant in the car right now and just fill it witu r134a
Old 08-06-08, 11:50 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that just simply recharing the system is not going to have the outcome that you hope for. The reason why i say that is because from idle to driving, shouldn't have an effect on the refrigerent. Maybe your A/C compressor or clutch has gone out and can only engage when at a higher rpm or something along that line.
Old 08-06-08, 12:22 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like your compressor isn't getting adequate cooling. If it reaches too high of a temp it will shut off. Sitting still = no airflow. Driving = possibly just enough airflow to keep it from tripping the temp switch.
Old 08-06-08, 04:43 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

where can i find the temp switch. I pushing more to a bad magnetic clutch on the compressor, that is not letting the sepentine belt pull the compressor fast enough on idle.

But it seems like I cant find a specific part for that. just the clutch. Only complete compressor.
Old 08-06-08, 04:56 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Well are both of your fans on? Thats the first thing to check, let the car get up to temp on a hot day. Park it, pop the hood with it running and watch to make sure both of your fans are running. If one isn't running or cycling thats your problem. I don't think it's the switch that is bad because if it was a bad switch then it would either never work or always work.
Old 08-08-08, 07:03 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

check your refrigerant level..........and then make sure the condensor is clean! that will affect alot too........make sure both fans spinning too but check refrigerant first
Old 08-08-08, 03:48 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

okay i tried the r 134 a recharge kit in the system, i notice the guage is not moving anywhere it's past red and is still blowing hot air, the piece in front of the compressor is spinning, but i noticed there is no water dripping from underneath the car. whta else can thie problem be? please help
Old 08-08-08, 03:53 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Well if your car didn't need a recharge and you put more refrigerant you probably over filled the system which will cause compressor lock up or very poor performance. How did you determine your refrigerant was low? The system is meant to operate at a narrow range of pressures so it's not a good idea to just go throwing more refrigerant in there.

When you say the piece in front of the compressor is spinning, what are you referring to? The pulley? The large pulley will always be spinning no matter what as your accessory belt is attached to it. Is the whole assembly that the large pulley is attached to, the "center" portion of the large pulley, spinning as well? If it is not then your clutch is not locking on the compressor and the compressor isn't on.

Did you bother to check if both of the radiator fans were on?
Old 08-08-08, 04:41 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

well the peice in front of the compressor, was not spinning before i put the coolant in it kept spinning and stopping. now it's spinning but i am still getting the hot air blowing, before i used to have the hot air blow until i drive the car at high rev then the cool ac will kick on , now it's totally not coming on. and i notice there is not water coming from under the car. when i put the freon in , the guage did not go any where, the first bottle i put in emptied out, i don't know what else to do? the dealer did change the heater core about 9 months ago. both of the fans is coming on.
Old 08-08-08, 04:49 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

You either have a major leak and/or were totally out of refrigerant. You can try putting another can in and see what happens with the gauge. Make sure you follow the directions on which way the can needs to be tipped etc...sometimes shaking it a little bit at the end helps get all the refrigerant out. You can *try* to use one that has o-ring conditioner in it though it's not recommended in high amounts, but if you have a very slight leak and only use one can it might fix your problems.
Old 08-08-08, 07:45 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

lexluger71 so your car is basically blowing hot air all the time not just on idle.

I heard that if you dont fill up the exact amount, your compressor will switch on and off alot since it heats up faster or like macd7919 said will damage lines or the compressor itself.

Now i am scared to fill up the R134a, myself eventhough I have done it on Corrolla's etc. all day long.
Old 08-08-08, 09:00 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

It's the same thing, you just need a gauge to do it. You can use one of those cheap advance auto ones, I had to in a pinch once and it worked ok, but you won't get maximum performance unless it's filled to the right pressure. But hey, if you have nothing and are short on cash, just use a decent gauge from advance and fill it to the "green area" and it should be ok until you can get a full evac and recharge at a service facility.
Old 08-09-08, 01:37 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
It's the same thing, you just need a gauge to do it. You can use one of those cheap advance auto ones, I had to in a pinch once and it worked ok, but you won't get maximum performance unless it's filled to the right pressure. But hey, if you have nothing and are short on cash, just use a decent gauge from advance and fill it to the "green area" and it should be ok until you can get a full evac and recharge at a service facility.
Everything you said was right. I would think it's the cooling. The car is not getting enough cooling at idle.
Check the fan first.

Over charging the r134 is going to make the problem worse too. Need a gauge to determine the r134 level.

Quick Reply: No A/C on Idle. A/C only when driving