GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus keys!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 07:09 AM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

you can have anyone cut the key. to program it is easy to. i programed mine the first time i tryed. now to get the keyless entry to work is another thing. if your actuators are f-ed youre f-ed. I changed my two rear actuators and something is still wrong because the car will not except my remote. to program the key you have to:

Before starting, press and release the Brake and Accelerator pedals at the same time.
1. Place an already programmed Master key in the keyway (Do not turn on)
2. Press the Gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press the Brake pedal 6 times.
4. Pull out the key.
5. Insert the new key but DO NOT turn it on.
6. Press the Gas pedal just 1 time and wait until the security light stops blinking (about 1 minute).
7. Remove the key and press the Brake pedal 1 time. The cycle is now closed.
The programming mode will end after 10 more seconds.

REGISTRATION OF RECOGNITION CODE
1. Open driver door, keep it open and in the unlocked position (all other doors should be closed and locked.)
2. Put original key in ignition and pull out
3. Using either power lock or maniual lock on drivers door Lock and Unlock the doors 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
entire process in 40 seconds or less)
4. Close the door and open the door
5. Using either power lock or maniual lock on drivers door Lock and Unlock the doors another 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
6. Put the new Master Key in the ignition, turn it to "on" and then off (with 1 second) and remove from the ignition.
7. Press and hold transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together for at least 1.5 seconds,
and then within 3 seconds; press LOCK button on the transmitter for at least one second.
8. If within 3 seconds, door locks cycle one time, new transmitter code was accepted. If door locks
cycle 2 times, new transmitter code was not accepted. If code was not accepted retry step 8 again (press LOCK and UNLOCK together for 1.5 sec. Then press LOCK for 1 sec on the transmitter.)

it sounds crazy but its for-real...
Old 07-31-08, 11:08 AM
obinna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natedahms
you can have anyone cut the key. to program it is easy to. i programed mine the first time i tryed. now to get the keyless entry to work is another thing. if your actuators are f-ed youre f-ed. I changed my two rear actuators and something is still wrong because the car will not except my remote. to program the key you have to:

Before starting, press and release the Brake and Accelerator pedals at the same time.
4. Pull out the key.
6. Press the Gas pedal just 1 time and wait until the security light stops blinking (about 1 minute).

1. Open driver door, keep it open and in the unlocked position (all other doors should be closed and locked.)
3. Using either power lock or maniual lock on drivers door Lock and Unlock the doors 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
5. Using either power lock or maniual lock on drivers door Lock and Unlock the doors another 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
6. Put the new Master Key in the ignition, turn it to "on" and then off (with 1 second) and remove from the ignition.
7. Press and hold transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together for at least 1.5 seconds,
and then within 3 seconds; press LOCK button on the transmitter for at least one second.
8. If within 3 seconds, door locks cycle one time, new transmitter code was accepted. If door locks
cycle 2 times, new transmitter code was not accepted. If code was not accepted retry step 8 again (press LOCK and UNLOCK together for 1.5 sec. Then press LOCK for 1 sec on the transmitter.)

Thanks, it worked like magic!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-08, 12:58 PM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you're welcome. now i just wish i could get some help getting my car to except my remote. every time i try to program it my door locks cycle twice. at least that tells me i'm doing everything right. i'm thinking maybe if i change the actuator on the passengers side. its a little weak. i already have extra motors i ordered off ebay. i just havent swapped out the motor yet because the plastic piece on the spindle is a little smaller than the one in the actuator. i guess it needs to be glued or something. i've been fighting with this thing for about eight months now. and a few hundred dollars later and still doesn't work.
Old 07-31-08, 05:07 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pingu
cpone, I thought you needed to program the key to your car still.

Does ace hardware really cut lexus keys? I wonder how much they charge.
I bought 2 blank shells off ebay and got them cut at Ace for $7 each. I took the transmitter (guts) from inside my old broken key's shells and put them in the new shells.

Just call & ask your local Ace shop if they have a machine for laser cut keys.

If you have lost ALL your master keys (including the guts), you have an expensive problem. Its really bad if you have a 1998 or 1999 model GS and no master keys, cuz the computer has to be replaced along with the keys since its not re-programmable.

Last edited by Lexamatic; 07-31-08 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-31-08, 09:58 PM
GS_OREO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by natedahms

4. Pull out the key.

This should be a DIY sticky
Old 08-01-08, 12:35 AM
obinna
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS_OREO
This should be a DIY sticky
Agreed!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-08, 08:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carbongs
actually just had a friend get two keys cut at henessy lexus of gwinnett here in ga. both keys cut and programmed for $90 total, or $45 per key. For an additional $20 per key they can get you the shell with the L emblem. the service advisor told us that the case without the L emblem is actually stronger and more durable as well as cheaper so that is the route we went with. all they needed was the master key, and a proof of ownership, preferably title, registration paper, etc...
Correct, my mom got hers cut there just today. Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett BOUGHT their own key cutter, thus they don't have to send it to whomever to get it cut, thus no longer is it $300 but only $45.
Old 08-02-08, 09:57 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ace hardware is hit or miss. I think they are independently owned. The local one here in CA didn't have the machine; they also gave me a bunch of crap about cutting blanks you bring in. I don't think I will ever do business at ace.
Old 08-07-08, 09:30 PM
obinna
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pingu
Ace hardware is hit or miss. I think they are independently owned. The local one here in CA didn't have the machine; they also gave me a bunch of crap about cutting blanks you bring in. I don't think I will ever do business at ace.
Yeah, diff. stroke for diff. folks!
Old 08-08-08, 01:09 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obinna
Yeah, diff. stroke for diff. folks!
LOL I think you miss understood the meaning of that phrase.
Old 08-08-08, 05:31 AM
scottgs
Pole Position

Well my car is on the way to lexus right now to get the ECU changed out with 3 new keys and valet. Its costing me 500$ but worth every penny. The Car I bought from Toyota, didnt have a controller at all. Whats wrong with people, freakin loosing controlers or keys..... Anyway they are hooking me up with all the new keys and parts for a killer price, thanks to the Toyota General Manager.
Old 08-09-08, 01:30 PM
'99 SC 400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexamatic
I bought 2 blank shells off ebay and got them cut at Ace for $7 each. I took the transmitter (guts) from inside my old broken key's shells and put them in the new shells.

Just call & ask your local Ace shop if they have a machine for laser cut keys.

If you have lost ALL your master keys (including the guts), you have an expensive problem. Its really bad if you have a 1998 or 1999 model GS and no master keys, cuz the computer has to be replaced along with the keys since its not re-programmable.
Which Ace did you go to? A semi totaled my SC. Now I have a '03 GS430.
Old 08-09-08, 02:22 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i just bought two lexus keys at the dealership. One master and one valet, both cut. Cost me $160. I programmed them both in under 5 mins.
Old 08-10-08, 09:28 PM
redgs300
Driver

http://www.ikeyless.com/index.php?ma...year=0&model=0

^ order the uncut key

http://www.toy-lex.com/index.html

^ send them the key and they will cut it for you. And the best part is you can program the new key they send you yourself so no need for expensive dealer bull**** saying they need to reconfig your ecu to the new key...
Old 08-11-08, 05:01 AM
scottgs
Pole Position

Well I think my problem is probably unique to most, as I dont have but one key and its the valet'. So if I were to get any keys cut for me, they would only be valet's too. I dont have any guts, controlers or keys. So I think the 445.98$ they are charging me to change out ECU, 3 new masters with controllers and a valet, is not a bad price at all. Esp when I found out that its over 1600$ normally WOW!

Quick Reply: Lexus keys!!!!!!