GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

EZ fix for broken actuators

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 07:01 PM
ICECOLD
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks in advance everyone. I think that my actuators has just went out. . I will use this DYI to fix it. Thanks again,.
Old 03-19-09, 03:10 PM
othater
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
If you guys want to make it easier, just replace the brushes. Swap the caps over so you dont mess with the gear and the shaft itself. I can do each door in 35-40 mins from start to finish. The motor itself will last forever. It's the brushes that wears out (Usually depleted all the way).
GSteg,

Would have happen to take some pictures of the cap replacement? easy?

I haven't found a source for FC-280PT-22125 but I did find FC-280PC-22125 which seems very close to the same specs but doesn't have the ring/sleeve on the shaft. Small order comes out around $4-5.00 a piece from China, S/H might kill it though. A large order = better price.

I haven't taken mine apart but do you need the ring/sleeve on the shaft?

If it does, it might be worth it to swap out the caps as you say and if you don't need the ring/sleeve it might be a good replacement.

Thanks,
BTW-I have a 2001 GS300.
Old 03-19-09, 03:50 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by othater
GSteg,

Would have happen to take some pictures of the cap replacement? easy?

I haven't found a source for FC-280PT-22125 but I did find FC-280PC-22125 which seems very close to the same specs but doesn't have the ring/sleeve on the shaft. Small order comes out around $4-5.00 a piece from China, S/H might kill it though. A large order = better price.

I haven't taken mine apart but do you need the ring/sleeve on the shaft?

If it does, it might be worth it to swap out the caps as you say and if you don't need the ring/sleeve it might be a good replacement.

Thanks,
BTW-I have a 2001 GS300.
well... im in the middle of this now. I have ordered 95 of these to sell on ebay. I paiid about 5 dollars a piece for them. I paid about 300 dollars to ship from china. I was told shipping would be 40 but when they showed up I had to pay the difference up front. when I got them out the where wrong.... I've sent those back on them... we will see if I get the correct motors. oh well live and learn. the last quote that I got was .55 each but, 580 for shipping. when I get them I will list them
on ebay. I have learned this is a risky endevor that I regret. getting into. .. it would be different if people didn't mind paying for something but it seems like everyone wants something for nothing... we will see...

BY THE WAY... the brushes idea is good.. if u don't mind sodering there are tons of motors that u can use...

If your trying to source your own please pay special attention to direction.. not a deal buster you can swap the motor leads on the plug in ... but just pay attention to it.

BP

Last edited by TRD911; 03-19-09 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-19-09, 04:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The motor on ebay was PERFECT. The cap swapped over perfectly. I previously took the brushes from another motor and retrofitted it into my original motor. Didnt work out too well because the metal tabs that holds the brushes were not the same. Eventually the assembly broke so I had to rebuild it again.

As long as the caps are the same, just swap them over. Much easier than removing the gear on the motor's shaft! I've done this so many times and so far, no failures. I've logged on over 1000 lock/unlocks on my car and they're still like new.
Old 03-19-09, 08:02 PM
othater
Driver School Candidate

GSteg,
Thanks for the info..
can you verify for me that that shaft does not need the ring/sleeve from the new motor and you need to remove the factory ring/sleeve and put it on the new shaft.
thanks
Old 03-19-09, 08:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

No need to swap anything other than the top cap that contains the brushes. You're essentially using your old motor, but with new brushes. The motor itself (magnet/windings) will last for a lifetime. It's the brushes that wears out.
Old 03-19-09, 08:33 PM
othater
Driver School Candidate

Hope you dont mine these questions.
I read that the plastic can crack while opening. Is that the portion that has the brushes? so it wouldn't matter if it breaks. (yes / no) and would you know if the model FC-280PC-22125 would work? I'm just trying to prepare myself.
Old 03-19-09, 08:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

the plastic that cracks is the enclosure itself. It's whats holding the motor, gears, etc all together. Basically it's the shell outside. Take you time and be patient.

I dont know if that motor will work. I dont look too much into it since I bought the motors from ebay a while ago.
Old 03-22-09, 01:11 PM
othater
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRD911
well... im in the middle of this now. I have ordered 95 of these to sell on ebay. I paiid about 5 dollars a piece for them. I paid about 300 dollars to ship from china. I was told shipping would be 40 but when they showed up I had to pay the difference up front. when I got them out the where wrong.... I've sent those back on them... we will see if I get the correct motors. oh well live and learn. the last quote that I got was .55 each but, 580 for shipping. when I get them I will list them
on ebay. I have learned this is a risky endevor that I regret. getting into. .. it would be different if people didn't mind paying for something but it seems like everyone wants something for nothing... we will see...

BY THE WAY... the brushes idea is good.. if u don't mind sodering there are tons of motors that u can use...

If your trying to source your own please pay special attention to direction.. not a deal buster you can swap the motor leads on the plug in ... but just pay attention to it.

BP
TRD911
Any status on your order.
My driver side lock is really dying, now 50% of the time.
Might have to go the 01-02 corolla actuator route for the motor replacement that was mention.
Seems the cheapest for the motor right now until a source is found.
I sent you a PM a couple of days ago.
Thanks
Old 08-07-09, 12:09 AM
tag16c
Driver School Candidate

The new link to the motors on ebay is
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-r...Q5fAccessories

Just search for FC 280pt-22125 and it will show up.
Old 08-18-09, 03:25 PM
Pat Thomas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by macd7919
Does this also fix the "door trigger" problem as well since it's built into the actuator. By door trigger problem I'm referring to the opening of the door but no light comes on.
try some w d 40 first
Old 08-18-09, 05:08 PM
tonysgs300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by swat1727
wait did u say the "motor" of the actuator is the same? or the entire actuator is the same? also why 2001 to 2003? they are two different model cars. i believe they are 98-02 and 03-07. which model r u talking about? i really need this!! my door is killing me
Yeah Im sick and tired of hand locking the damn door both side(driver and pass) unlock fine but wont lock.
Old 08-18-09, 10:07 PM
Pat Thomas
Driver School Candidate

do thees actuator work on rx300
Old 08-18-09, 10:12 PM
Pat Thomas
Driver School Candidate

do these actuators and motors work for the rx300
Old 08-22-09, 10:10 PM
othater
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pat Thomas
do these actuators and motors work for the rx300
Same question for me...,

I rebuilt my actuators on my 01 GS300 and now a friends RX needs both fronts rebuilt if there the same motor.

Anyone one open one up to see if its the same motor yet?

Quick Reply: EZ fix for broken actuators