Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

60mph Vibrations - DIY Steering Tensioner Adjustment

Old 04-15-13, 11:25 AM   #46
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (14)

@MrG4Life
Send a message via AIM to MrG4Life
Default Thread Bump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakataj View Post
there is a locking nut. although i couldn't EVER get it loose, i didnt like the idea of taking a hammer and hammering a flat head to loosen it but maybe i'll try it again. oh FYI u dont have to completely remove this locking nut just loosen it AND before you start turning the other nut make sure you mark where you started with a sharpie so you can easily go back to the beginning if you need

tried with this wrench we sell at work BUT still couldnt get the locking nut off.
Click the image to open in full size.
Hey Brian, do you recall how you eventually got that lock nut off? I tried doing this yesterday because of loose steering I have but that damn nut is next to impossible to loosen. Going in I knew that it would have been tight so I sprayed some PB Blaster and let it soak in for at least 35 minutes while I did other things. I used a tool similar to what you have posted but it didn't work. Probably not having enough leverage didn't help either.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

2004 Black Onyx GS300
“Success is there for those who want it, plan for it and take action to achieve it.” - Jim Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-SC300 View Post
The 2GS is still the sexiest GS ever made. The other generations are all nice as well....but 2GS is king IMO.
MrG4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-13, 12:22 PM   #47
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (171)

Sakataj
Send a message via Yahoo to sakataj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG4Life View Post
Hey Brian, do you recall how you eventually got that lock nut off? I tried doing this yesterday because of loose steering I have but that damn nut is next to impossible to loosen. Going in I knew that it would have been tight so I sprayed some PB Blaster and let it soak in for at least 35 minutes while I did other things. I used a tool similar to what you have posted but it didn't work. Probably not having enough leverage didn't help either.
i never got it off, i tried and tried with this tool and several others and finally said screw it.

FOR ALL YOU LOWBALLERS THIS IS HOW I FEEL:
http://www.modified.com/editors/modp...ors/index.html
sakataj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-13, 08:43 PM   #48
sam12345
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Ha! Here in the south west it's a piece of cake. No rust on my car.
The way to tighten it is to go till its tight then back it off a little. Drive to make sure your steering wheel returns to center if not back it off a little more till it returns to center but no more. Also if your nut is an outy you need to get the update.

Last edited by sam12345; 04-15-13 at 08:48 PM..
sam12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 10:32 AM   #49
Behemoth7
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Just found this thread wondering if it would fix my issue. I have this intermittent problem where the wheel will shake when going over 60mph, and it feels like a shake through the steering assembly itself(aka not an unbalanced tire). Also, i feel(more so than I hear) a clunk through the steering when I go over sharp bumps or pot holes, it feels like something is bad or loose.

I took it to an honest shop who inspected it and took it out for a test drive even and could not find any issues.

Could tightening this fix my problem? Or does something else need to be tightened?

Last edited by Behemoth7; 06-01-14 at 11:13 AM..
Behemoth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 03:13 PM   #50
josey88
Driver

It is my personal opinion that tampering with the steering rack specs is not a very good idea , at all .
Most of the vibration problems are usually bushings , lower arms and the wheels . These aftermarket wheels are somehow difficult to balance to perfection , and the so called "high speed balance machines " are a joke . The mechanic would hook the tire to the machine , spin it for a very few seconds (maybe 20 miles per hour spin or so) then stop it and that is how they balance the tires ... the tire being balanced is not made to spin at higher velocities where it can be really completely balanced .
That is how you get slight vibrations at 40 mph and more intense after 60 if there are some other problems like bushings , wear tires , etc .

Last edited by josey88; 06-01-14 at 03:27 PM..
josey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-14, 03:14 PM   #51
jcum9472
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth7 View Post
Just found this thread wondering if it would fix my issue. I have this intermittent problem where the wheel will shake when going over 60mph, and it feels like a shake through the steering assembly itself(aka not an unbalanced tire). Also, i feel(more so than I hear) a clunk through the steering when I go over sharp bumps or pot holes, it feels like something is bad or loose.

I took it to an honest shop who inspected it and took it out for a test drive even and could not find any issues.

Could tightening this fix my problem? Or does something else need to be tightened?
I had the same issue. They checked the steering rack, tie rods. All the normal culprits...and nothing. So, yesterday I tried tightening the steering pretensioner. The vibration is still there but very little. I think this made a pretty decent improvement and didn't cost anything. Totally worth it to me. Good luck.
jcum9472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-14, 03:14 PM