GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

battery suddenly dead but works fine when jumped .....

Old 05-20-08, 04:38 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default battery suddenly dead but works fine when jumped .....

the Gs is my daily driver and this has happened twice in 5weeks. its not a cold day or anything. matter of fact i drove it all day so alternator should have charged it properly.
here is what happed on both occasions:
i drive to where am going without a problem but when its time to leave (last time it happened, the time between turning car off and starting back to leave must have been like 10mins), the battery is suddenly very low. Not completely dead but very low to not start the car. the guages move and are dim but not enough juice to start car. i don't get any clicks which make me assume its not a starter problem. i jumpstart car and it starts right up.
here is the part i dont understand. after jumpstarting it, all becomes fine like it were before. i could shut it off in a minute or two and it starts up like battery was never dead or low.
its a oem Toyota battery but i have no idea how old it is. also there is no battery warning light coming up on dash.
what do u think?
dead battery? alternator? starter? what else?

thanks
olddog
Old 05-20-08, 05:20 PM
isdjmark
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There shold be a guide on the battery to check if its still good also check if you still have liquid in the battery....i think you can jsut add distilled water and it should work fine if its low.

Is anything grounding? I used to have the same problem then i found one ground wires were bad. Well good luck.

Also I dont know if there is any Kragen or Autozone there but they do free battery checks.
Old 05-20-08, 05:26 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

check to see if the alternator is charging the battery..put a test gauge on it..should be at 14 when the car is running.
Old 05-20-08, 06:59 PM
paradox
Rookie

Same thing happened to me in two different LS' and in both instances it turned out to be the battery.... One was an original made by Panasonic and the other was an Interstate with about four years on it. With the latter, I was told it had a dead cell.
Old 05-20-08, 07:46 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Turn the car on then disconnect the battery, if the car stays on then it's not the alternator. It could be that the battery isn't holding a charge. You can go to Autozone or any parts store and they will test it for free.
Old 05-20-08, 08:47 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The battery is bad, trust me. I was having the same problem. I even tested the battery and it said it was good, but once I replaced the battery I never had that issue again.
Old 05-20-08, 08:52 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a dead beat maxima that i just bought a battery for. i guess i will just swap out the battery. but it amazes me how it shows no sign of dying. starts up fine and all.
better safe than sorry though...
don't wanna be caught with a dead battery on a hot date
Old 05-21-08, 06:24 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I had a similar issue, it was the battery. Ran great when it would start, but needed to be jumped a little too often.You could also check the battery terminals, make sure both are clean and the connections are tight.