GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Radio Install DIY add-on

Old 05-13-08, 03:35 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never heard of a 1 ohm bose speaker. You can splice a rca plug to the bose speaker wires, but who cares about bose, let the nissan guys worry about that
Old 05-15-08, 11:14 AM
offandongu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I have never heard of a 1 ohm bose speaker. You can splice a rca plug to the bose speaker wires, but who cares about bose, let the nissan guys worry about that
Haha, I'm with you on that one. I've seen the 1 Ohm speakers in only a couple cars, I want to say that it was the front speakers on the older Maxima's but I can't remember
Justin
Old 12-01-08, 03:23 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have to say I am a very visual person.
These pics really help alot.
I will now get it done.
Originally Posted by offandongu
Hey guys, I saw on here that a lot people seemed to have questions about the GS300 after market radio installation. So I just put a radio in my wife's car and thought I'd take some pictures during the install that might help you guys out. I was an Assistant Car Stereo sales and installation manager at Circuit City for 3 years so I have a lot of experience doing installs. So here we go:

I started by making a harness that was about 36 inches long to reach from behind the radio to the factory amplifier:

I left a quick disconnect harness on, like the ones at circuit city, incase I change out the radio later, this way I won't have to wire anything else up.

Next I dropped the glove box and located the factory amp and the output wires from the factory amp (an met 80 or 70 1761 from BB or CC will fit this harness).

Here's a close up of the harness and where it was unplugged from:

Factory Amp location on right:

Next I got 12 volt switched (accesory) from the harness behind the factory radio (not the factory amp) it is a gray wire:

Now I decided I wanted to try and keep the factory sub-woofer. To do this I wired in the sub-woofer wires (green w/red & green w/black on the small harness coming off the factory amp) to the driver's side rear speaker. The downside to this is that the factory sub and rear driver's side speaker are lowered to 2 ohms. It did not sound like any highs were getting through but it is difficult to tell since I can't fade the driver's rear off or it gets no signal. Here is a picture of the wires off the factory harness with the wires jumped from the driver's side rear speaker spliced and soldered on:

Next I grounded the radio to the gold colored bracket to the right of the glove box:

Here's a close up:

Last, I ran the wires along the same path as the factor wires and zip tied them in place:

And that was it. I soldered everything and I would recommend that you do the same. Time will tell if leaving the factory sub hooked up is a bad idea or not, but it definitely needed some bass when disconnected from the factory amp.
Justin

Last edited by PR FIEBRU; 12-02-08 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
annjones13 (01-28-23)
Old 12-01-08, 04:14 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice job!!
Old 12-01-08, 04:21 PM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work offandongu. This is now part of the DIY sticky.
Old 12-02-08, 01:57 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

thanks to this contribution I was able to do it myself.
here are some pics

Name:  img1228249410901.jpg
Views: 10072
Size:  77.8 KB

Name:  img1228249411553.jpg
Views: 10075
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  img1228249413436.jpg
Views: 10103
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  img1228252752260.jpg
Views: 10144
Size:  81.5 KB

Thanks
Old 12-02-08, 10:12 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, I've been searching forever and still can't find any info...hoping someone point me to the right direction. I want to keep the factory pioneer head unit and replace the factory sub (don't want to lose the ability to use the stearing controller and cd changer).

Thing's I've already done:
Replaced the factory speakers with 6.5'' (4 ohm) on all four doors. Still have factory sub but once I can figure out the issue above, I will replace with a new 10" sub. Sounds good on low volume
Old 12-14-08, 11:14 PM
johnball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
Ok, I've been searching forever and still can't find any info...hoping someone point me to the right direction. I want to keep the factory pioneer head unit and replace the factory sub (don't want to lose the ability to use the stearing controller and cd changer).

Thing's I've already done:
Replaced the factory speakers with 6.5'' (4 ohm) on all four doors. Still have factory sub but once I can figure out the issue above, I will replace with a new 10" sub. Sounds good on low volume
you need a line out converter you will input the wires from original sub into the converter and then youll plug in your rcas from that to your amp.

question: so is there no wiring harness for amp integration?
Old 12-15-08, 12:22 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

"line out converter" so that's what they are called. Thanks. I meant that I wanted to replace the factory amp and keep the head unit (for CD changer).

Is there a aftermarket head unit that'll interface with the oem cd changer and stearing control(I doubt it)?

Thinking about not using cd changer and stearing control for 6 pre-outs. Something like this. New can be found at same price as refurbished.

parts can be found here. it also list amp integration harness.

I found this reverse install radio mount.

Last edited by sam430; 12-15-08 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-21-08, 07:39 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

so did you have to take the 12v switched from the behind the radio or could you have just used everything from the metra harness?

i read that avic diy thread about using the stock double din bezel. I wonder how much that must cost...

great work!

sid
Old 12-24-08, 04:25 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sidwin
so did you have to take the 12v switched from the behind the radio or could you have just used everything from the metra harness?

i read that avic diy thread about using the stock double din bezel. I wonder how much that must cost...

great work!

sid
just finished my install. when u bridge the rear u can definitely hear highs coming out of the sub. i removed that.

instead of tapping the grey wire i cut it and butt connected directly to it.

I was thinking if we know that the grey wire is 12v switch, why not get the metra toyota amp harness and pin out to go from there into the stock harness and therefore save the stock amp?

I put in a panasonic 7 inch touch screen i got from amazon for 262 shipped. looks and sounds great. i'm waiting for my jdm din to come in but until then i'll just use the metra mounting bracket.

thanks,
sid

Last edited by sidwin; 12-25-08 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-25-09, 12:03 AM
kidd1
Rookie

The real and only reason we cant use our stock amp with an after market HU is because the only way to turn on the factory amp is thru a digital turn on that can only be accomplished by the factory HU. hope that helps solve the other myths out there.

MECP Certified 1st class installer

Originally Posted by charlie@jd
im slow with this so bare with me...

so you got the factory amp to work with an aftermarket radio?
Old 10-25-09, 02:56 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I refuse to believe that because that signal can be simulated. I'm not in to factory stereo setups so no reason for me figure it out, but with a little knowledge and research of how this amp works, a simulated switch has to be able to be made. Whether its cheap to do or not is not the question, but I believe it can be done.
Old 10-25-09, 05:45 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Since this thing got bumped.. where do you get the 2 connectors for the tail end of the harness? Name:  DSC_4170.jpg
Views: 9960
Size:  75.7 KB
Is that the metra 70 1761?
Old 10-25-09, 06:02 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
Since this thing got bumped.. where do you get the 2 connectors for the tail end of the harness?
Is that the metra 70 1761?
I'm assuming that once the color code is figured out, they are cutting the factory wiring and splicing the pigtail from the new deck to the factory wiring.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio Install DIY add-on