GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Strange clunk noise from driver's front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 01:15 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange clunk noise from driver's front wheel

This morning when I took off from the house a noise appeared. It's a rotating noise that is very repetitive, but doesn't occur under 5mph or when making 90 degree turns in both directions. It's not causing the car to ride rough, other than slightly feeling the clunk and hearing it obviously. Any ideas? Most people I ask are saying it's possibly a wheel bearing.
Old 02-23-08, 01:34 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Another thing to note is that the noise is created at a higher rate when a higher mph is reached, this also makes me think it's the wheel bearing or hub.

Any comments, advice, or expertise is heavily appreciated!
Old 02-23-08, 02:53 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Guys any help??? I'm trying to put in an order for parts, I've got about 2 hours before the deadline.
Old 02-23-08, 03:43 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it might be the hub, but check your lugs. i had that problem before when the lugs wasnt tight, it cause the rim to make a clunk to the studs
Old 02-23-08, 03:44 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

could also be ball joint i. when i changed mine out i didnt have that clunking noise anymore...
Old 02-23-08, 03:53 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

The lugs are tight, & I don't think the hub can actually go bad and cause these symptoms. I guess I'm going to order a new bearing and seal & just pray that's what it is--I can't believe no one has had this same problem.
Old 02-23-08, 04:05 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ay-nako
could also be ball joint i. when i changed mine out i didnt have that clunking noise anymore...
Well I can drive the car without issue, rides smooth as well--just the clunk happens. I figured if the ball joint went out it would undriveable. Can anyone comment on this? I'd like to order a ball joint too if it's needed.
Old 02-23-08, 04:45 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Is this a GRINDING noise that continues until you stop? Does the noise change pitch if you steer right or left?

A worn bearing would make a pitch change when the angle of the wheel is changed. How about when brakes are applied and released? Is there any difference then?

Finally, you did not say how many miles you have on your car. I have a 99 GS4 with 169,000 miles on stock 16 inch wheels and tires. Do you have oversized tires and is it lowered? Could it be a non-stock front end part?

I know that if I keep my car long enough, eventually I will have to change my front bearings. So far, I have no indication that my bearings are failing.

I'd jack up the car, remove the front wheels and remove the calipers. Then I would spin the rotors and see if I hear anything. Grab the rotor at 12 and 6 o clock positions and see if you can feel any looseness.

Most of us have not experienced any wheel bearing failures, but you may be the first I know about. The only grinding noise I have had is when the metal cooling louver was allowed to touch the rotor.

It made a clicking noise as soon as the car started moving. Since it did not do that before I removed the wheels to service the brakes, I went back and bent the louver out just a bit and tried spinning the wheel again. No noise. If you have had the wheels off for any reason recently, I'd look at that.

Please keep in touch!

GOOD LUCK in finding your

Last edited by gserep1; 02-23-08 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-23-08, 04:53 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gserep1
Is this a GRINDING noise that continues until you stop? Does the noise change pitch if you steer right or left?

A worn bearing would make a pitch change when the angle of the wheel is changed. How about when brakes are applied and released? Is there any difference then?

Finally, you did not say how many miles you have on your car. I have a 99 GS4 with 169,000 miles on stock 16 inch wheels and tires. Do you have oversized tires and is it lowered? Could it be a non-stock front end part?

I know that if I keep my car long enough, eventually I will have to change my front bearings. So far, I have no indication that my bearings are failing.

I'd jack up the car, remove the front wheels and remove the calipers. Then I would spin the rotors and see if I hear anything. Grab the rotor at 12 and 6 o clock positions and see if you can feel any looseness.

Most of us have not experienced any wheel bearing failures, but you may be the first I know about. The only grinding noise I have had is when the metal cooling louver was allowed to touch the rotor.

It made a clicking noise as soon as the car started moving. Since it did not do that before I removed the wheels to service the brakes, I went back and bent the louver out just a bit and tried spinning the wheel again. No noise. If you have had the wheels off for any reason recently, I'd look at that.

Please keep in touch!

GOOD LUCK in finding your
Talk about informative!

It doesn't sound like a grind to me, at least in the cabin. Can't really comment on when the brakes are applied, but 90 degree turns seem to make it go away until the wheel is straightened and acceleration continues. Car has 111k and has been riding on 20" wheels with Tein coilovers for roughly 20k.
Old 02-24-08, 06:23 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had a similar problem and found it to be the calipers that were very loose. To the point of complete failure. Check the bolts connecting them.

Next I have also read on here for the problem to possible be a loose sway bar.
Just jack the car and check the bolts as well.

Next check the bolts connecting your coil overs. They MAY be loose.

If you are going to order something. With that much mileage get your ball joints and tie rods replaced. The noise may be coming from that as well.

WORST case if after you do all that it may be your coils going bad inside the cylinder. I called Tein and the tech said he never heard of such a thing but KevinGS has had to change his tein CS from a clunking noise coming from the front.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-24-08, 07:10 AM
toeb
Pole Position

it could also be the upper spring plate on the top of thr strut. i had this on my pass side, only made noise when i hit bumps but it was a clunk sound. it would worth looking at.
Old 02-25-08, 06:19 PM
u-forik
Driver School Candidate

Sounds very similiar to my problem...and indeed it was a bad ball joint. Car drove with no issues just a lot of noise. Sometimes it sounded like the strut was dead and squeaking like an old bed....ball joint, alignment, oil change....$300 later...no sound
Old 02-25-08, 07:06 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Did you replace the ball joint yourself? I only ordered the wheel bearing & seal, but once I've got it broken down--will I be able to tell if the ball joint is the culprit?

Also what special tools are needed for the wheel bearing, and the ball joint?
Old 02-28-08, 12:19 PM
gsproject
Driver

I had the same problem you mentioned but it now has progressed to a constant grinding noise and feel thru out the front end. I am now pretty sure it is my wheel bearing.

Is there any negatives to driving with a bad wheel bearing besides the constant grinding annoyance.

And ASTRIO300 where did you order your wheel bearings and seal?
Old 02-28-08, 12:20 PM
gsproject
Driver

Originally Posted by Aristo300
Did you replace the ball joint yourself? I only ordered the wheel bearing & seal, but once I've got it broken down--will I be able to tell if the ball joint is the culprit?

Also what special tools are needed for the wheel bearing, and the ball joint?
For the wheel bearings you are going to need a large press.

Quick Reply: Strange clunk noise from driver's front wheel