GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buyer's Remorse Kicking In ~ What did I get myself into???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-08, 09:30 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Buyer's Remorse Kicking In ~ What did I get myself into???

So after a couple weeks of infatuation, reality is sinking in. It's still not ready yet IMO to be driven far distances.

There's a reason he let it go for this price.

I'm already $500 in deep from two new tires and an alignment. I installed a new driver side window control panel myself. It was a b1tch.

Here's my long laundry list of to dos:

1) Get (R)ight inner tie rod(passenger-side) replaced and a new alignment after. If the car still vibrates and wanders off to the right after this, I'm about to throw a temper tantrum.
2) Get and install brake pads and shim kits for all 4 sides. Maybe get new rotors too. Thinking about doing this as a DIY so I can paint the calibers, but I don't have the time right now...
3) Get and install new wiper switch.
4) Install passenger side foglight.
5) Install Diazen bushings.
6) Replace or clean SRT intake filter.
7) Fix the crack in the bumper.
8) Install new passenger side marker cover. Old one is not there, exposing the bulb to the elements.
9) Install and bolt on chrome mesh grill to protect the exposed engine parts onto the lower lip on the body kit.
10) Finish detailing the car. Apply touch up paint to cover up rock cracks. I detailed the vinyl in the car, and it looks new, save for the scratches and scrapes. I need to get access to a carpet extractor somewhere to clean the carpet. I'm also going to place an order for some restoring paint to fix the leather in the car. I'll post before and after pics when I get around to doing it. The previous owner was a SMOKER. Didn't know that, as he tried to hide it with tons of air freshener. Not that I mind, since I used to smoke, but still...that should've been brought up if he was honest. (I know I'm way to focused on beautifying the interior right now.)
11) Completing all the ricer mods he gave me; the lexus metal gas and brake pedals, the CF door panels, the wood dash kit, and the woofer and amp.

All of the rims on the car aren't in like-new shape. There's chips and scratches and scrapes on seemingly each one. One even has a nasty bend in it. It worries me but I don't think it affects the handling of the car.

Now here's the thing. I see small indentations along the passenger side panel that connects the rear window to the frame of the car (the vertical side). Someone suggested here that it got T-boned. Could that be an indicator?

This car is causing me a lot more grief and money than I had anticipated.

Makes me wish I went for a stock GS4. The reason I'm crying and complaining is 'cuz I don't have the time nor the money to complete all of this right now and my insurance on my DD is about to run out.

Could this be buyer's remorse?

=============================================================

I also think the seller visited this site. After all, this is THE GS4 enthusiast forum. The JDM clear lights he advertised were actually cleared headlights. I think he used the heat gun method. He gave these to me uninstalled, since one had a crack in it.

Last edited by kenkaniff; 02-09-08 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-09-08, 10:29 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For mine, read these:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=325827
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...33&postcount=7

Things as it stands now...

Done:
-Replaced ball joints (ball joints so loose I can hear and feel loud clucking from the front left and it's steering all over the place.)
-Winter tires, Blizzak WS60 for 17” OEM wheels (1 bent, buying another OEM wheel to replace it) (neutrons' sending it over as I post)
-Undercoat
-HKS Hypermax RS Coilover suspension in place of Promatics (MVP FTW )
-All weather floor mats
-Tint 50%front & rear

Fix:
-ASC/ ASC OFF/ ABS
(speed sensor?)
-Loose wing
-Chrome out slants / repaint grill or change to 01+ Grill (grill provided is in bad condition)
-De-badge or replace emblems (seller painted a weird paint)
-Sand shift **** wood or change shift **** (shift **** provided by seller is not the shift **** as in the pictures of the ad and was replaced to a OEM unit in bad condition)
-Spacer in angel eye for HID to light up properly
-Sand and chrome out/repaint headlights
-Fix seat belts
-Replaced battery, kirkland, a bit too tall, need to check the bottom tray
-Curtains to be remounted
-White LED light in all Interior Lights and Exterior Lights (think 1 is blue instead of white)
-Repaint for paint damage on front right, rear left, and hood and think, the trunk
-Canover Air Promatic Series Suspension, Rebuilt and Installed 9 Months Ago by time of post
Compressor and Tank is Located in the Trunk, Height Adjustment Switch is Inside the Cup holder
(Truth, 15 year old suspension, left rear leaking, left side pump seized, lines need to be replaced by hydraulic lines and dryer need to be added)

It doesn't include the mods I want to do for the car yet, it's just basically the essentials
Yeah, the car's been great
I'm glad at least it drives now.
Old 02-09-08, 10:49 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Your story makes mine sound like a success story.

My condolences.
Old 02-10-08, 12:12 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

well, guess I should say, we should not think we've got it the worst as we know there'll be worse cases out there, for mine, at least my car runs and most things works relatively... I've just finished repainting the headlights, wanted to change them back to chrome, but I couldn't get the paint to come off, thus I sanded them and repainted them with instant chrome, but doesn't really work.

Well, here's how they look, looks alright from a distance, but in person, you'll see it's more silver than chrome, and there's bubbles as I can't sand them all and the last guy messed it up pretty good... I also need to sand them down good, need to take the passenger side apart again as I saw it's actually scratched from inside... don't know wth was the last guy thinking when he, I guess sanded inside, but not properly...

Old 02-10-08, 06:38 AM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Those look pretty cloudy.

Did you try Meguiar's Headlight cleaner?

It looks like he took those apart to get the yellow out of them.
Old 02-10-08, 10:19 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Nono, it was originally a black with gold and green flakes, I sanded it down inside and repainted it to how it look right now... But THEN I found it was clouded from the inside... thus I have to take it apart again... later, as I ain't going to work on my car outside when it's -20'C as our normal temperature... I'm going to bring it back with me to Vancouver soon and work it there and install it before I come back a week later.....

I couldn't find 1500 and 2000 grind sand paper or PlastiX in the Canadian tire (the usual place for small automotive needs) over here, but I knew the Mothers Aluminum Polish should work... but still need to find the sand papers....
Old 02-10-08, 06:35 PM
Chris2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kenkaniff
So after a couple weeks of infatuation, reality is sinking in. It's still not ready yet IMO to be driven far distances.

I'm already $500 in deep from two new tires and an alignment. I installed a new driver side window control panel myself. It was a b1tch.

1) Get (R)ight inner tie rod(passenger-side) replaced and a new alignment after. If the car still vibrates and wanders off to the right after this, I'm about to throw a temper tantrum.
2) Get and install brake pads and shim kits for all 4 sides. Maybe get new rotors too. Thinking about doing this as a DIY so I can paint the calibers, but I don't have the time right now...
3) Get and install new wiper switch.
8) Install new passenger side marker cover. Old one is not there, exposing the bulb to the elements.
9) Install and bolt on chrome mesh grill to protect the exposed engine parts onto the lower lip on the body kit.
10) Finish detailing the car. Apply touch up paint to cover up rock cracks. I detailed the vinyl in the car, and it looks new, save for the scratches and scrapes. I need to get access to a carpet extractor somewhere to clean the carpet. I'm also going to place an order for some restoring paint to fix the leather in the car. I'll post before and after pics when I get around to doing it. The previous owner was a SMOKER. Didn't know that, as he tried to hide it with tons of air freshener. Not that I mind, since I used to smoke, but still...that should've been brought up if he was honest. (I know I'm way to focused on beautifying the interior right now.)
11) Completing all the ricer mods he gave me; the lexus metal gas and brake pedals, the CF door panels, the wood dash kit, and the woofer and amp.

All of the rims on the car aren't in like-new shape. There's chips and scratches and scrapes on seemingly each one. One even has a nasty bend in it. It worries me but I don't think it affects the handling of the car.

Now here's the thing. I see small indentations along the passenger side panel that connects the rear window to the frame of the car (the vertical side). Someone suggested here that it got T-boned. Could that be an indicator?

Makes me wish I went for a stock GS4. The reason I'm crying and complaining is 'cuz I don't have the time nor the money to complete all of this right now and my insurance on my DD is about to run out.

I also think the seller visited this site. After all, this is THE GS4 enthusiast forum. The JDM clear lights he advertised were actually cleared headlights. I think he used the heat gun method. He gave these to me uninstalled, since one had a crack in it.
No need to cry and we all have a long list of things to do on our cars whether it be repair or upgrade it is the joy in doing it yourself that has us motivated. I can help a lil. For $15 I can ship you a set of new/used but good set of bumper lights. Just got my clears and don't need the factory set anymore. Your call just pm me man. If I have any other parts I can do it for only shipping. I hate any Lexus to go any way but Luxury.
Old 02-10-08, 07:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It helps to buy a car with full service history. I'm fortunate the previous owner of my car took care of it. I dont have any "to-do" list right now
Old 02-10-08, 07:13 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i had my GS400 nothing went wrong with it at all. I loved that car. Maintance free.
Old 02-10-08, 08:38 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
It helps to buy a car with full service history. I'm fortunate the previous owner of my car took care of it. I dont have any "to-do" list right now

Yea, that's the thing. He said he had kept all maintenance records and that he'd give them to me when I bought the car. Then when we finally met up, he said he looked all over for them and couldn't find them. I don't know what to believe; at the time I trusted him. He said as soon as he found them, he'd mail them to me. Again, I trusted him.

I was on a GS4 search FOREVER. It consumed my life and it was beginning to get ridiculous. I finally found a black one with some mods I already wanted to be done. I thought I was getting myself a good deal, but NOW I know there's a reason modded cars should sell for less - it's because they were driven hard and the aftermarket parts wear down on the chasis more than OEM parts do, requiring more maintenance costs down the road. He sold the car when it became "down the road." (I think)

Don't get me wrong guys, I still love the car and it's friggin gorgeous.

I'm just saying at the time, I didn't know what I was getting myself into, regarding the costs of repair and TLC.

I was desperate and maybe made a rash decision before really checking out the car. He said it was his mother's birthday and he was in a rush. Again, I trusted him. We cut a deal without taking a real test drive.
Old 02-11-08, 06:42 AM
Zishan
Driver

I've been looking for a GS400, maybe a GS430 for about a month now. I've run into some shady people. It's sad, how people will lie and/or be deceitful to make a few bucks.

Last time I sold a car, I pointed out the all the minor flaws. I didn't want someone to find them later on and be upset with me for "hiding" them. Besides, I believe in karma.
Old 02-11-08, 07:02 AM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kenkaniff

1) Get (R)ight inner tie rod(passenger-side) replaced and a new alignment after. If the car still vibrates and wanders off to the right after this, I'm about to throw a temper tantrum.2) Get and install brake pads and shim kits for all 4 sides. Maybe get new rotors too. Thinking about doing this as a DIY so I can paint the calibers, but I don't have the time right now...3) Get and install new wiper switch.
8) Install new passenger side marker cover. Old one is not there, exposing the bulb to the elements.9) Install and bolt on chrome mesh grill to protect the exposed engine parts onto the lower lip on the body kit.

LOL seriously im laughing at you not with you. WOW dude come on! dont blame the gs2 because u dint see the crack in the bumper, u dint see the missing fog light, not the gs2's fault u dint test drive and see the brakes were bad, not the gs2's fault u couldnt bend down and look at the tires, not the gs2's fault the previous owner did not clean the car and now to detail it it makes you mad?!?!? not the gs2's fault you dint know there happend to be a missing orange marker on the side, and its now the gs2's fault you have to install crapy ricer mods in your car and your mad about it but are still going to install them anyway cuz ur mad. Righhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht.

ps: not being mean just these things are not the car fault's this car is amazing its the owner not the car.
Old 02-11-08, 04:49 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Uhh...I love the GS4 model...when did I ever say I didn't? Hence, the purpose of being on a search for one for months?

I'm annoyed at the owner; I'm sorry if you were too doltish to get the subtle implications that I shouldn't have trusted him so much.

Zishan, thanks for understanding the POINT of my post. Some people need things to be spelled out to them and can't make deductions themselves. And, you sir, are not one of them.
Old 02-11-08, 04:58 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

And by the way, clod, I DID see the crack, the foglight got knocked out during the alignment, I knew the brakes might have to be changed, I knew the tires were bad, and the car was decently clean enough - I just wanted to make it perfect.

Go get over yourself Русский.
Old 02-11-08, 05:01 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much did you pay?

Quick Reply: Buyer's Remorse Kicking In ~ What did I get myself into???