GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Program Key Remote

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 04:31 PM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Program Key Remote

I ordered a precut master key from Sewell last week. After lots of searching and reading on this topic I attempted to program it myself. The first thing I did was program it to start the car. This turned out to be pretty easy. I think I got it the second try.
Before starting, press and release the Brake and Accelerator pedals at the same time.
1. Place an already programmed Master key in the keyway (Do not turn on)
2. Press the Gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press the Brake pedal 6 times.
4. Pull out the key.
5. Insert the new key but DO NOT turn it on.
6. Press the Gas pedal just 1 time and wait until the security light stops blinking (about 1 minute).
7. Remove the key and press the Brake pedal 1 time. The cycle is now closed.
The programming mode will end after 10 more seconds.

Next I tryed to program the remote part using these instructions which by the way are correct.
REGISTRATION OF RECOGNITION CODE
1. Open driver door, keep it open and in the unlocked position (all other doors should be closed)
2. Put original key in ignition and pull out
3. Using either power lock or maniual lock on drivers door Lock and Unlock the doors 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
entire process in 40 seconds or less)
4. Close the door and open the door
5. Using either power lock or maniual lock on drivers door Lock and Unlock the doors another 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
entire process in 40 seconds or less)
6. Put the new Master Key in the ignition, turn it to "on" and then off (with 1 second) and remove from the ignition.
7. Press and hold transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together for at least 1.5 seconds,
and then within 3 seconds; press LOCK button on the transmitter for at least one second.
8. If within 3 seconds, door locks cycle one time, new transmitter code was accepted. If door locks
cycle 2 times, new transmitter code was not accepted. If code was not accepted retry step 8 again (press LOCK and UNLOCK together for 1.5 sec. Then press LOCK for 1 sec on the transmitter.)

I tryed this at least 100 times. I called JM Lexus near my house in Ft. Lauderdale and spoke with a sevice tech and he told me to do the same steps but I still couldnt get this to work for me. The service tech told me that he could program the remote using a scan tool or the computer if I could come in. I'm not sure if it's possible to program the remote this way so dont take my word for it. That's just what I was told. Anyway to make a long story short... After $100 (for shutting off my check engien light and running a scan) and 4hrs later they could not program my remote because my door lock actuators in the rear two doors are not working correctly and need to be replaced. I've read everything there is to read on this topic and no where does it say anything about not being able to PROGRAM A REMOTE BECAUSE OF THE ACTUATORS NEEDING TO BE REPLACED. I hope that now that I've gone threw this I can save someone the head ach I went threw with this issue.

Last edited by natedahms; 01-15-08 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-15-08, 04:46 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the rear door actuator problem and I have access to a Lexus scan tool to try programming the key.

I've had a spare key that needed programming for a while now, so good excuse to get this done.

I'll try to do it this weekend and see what happens.

Stay Tuned
Old 01-17-08, 02:10 PM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I changed the actuators out and my car still wont except this remote. Now what? I know for a fact I get my car in program mode. It's just every time the door locks cycle twice, it wont except the remote. It must be a problem with the remote. The FCC I.D. # on the back is HYQ1512V. Then it says Canada:1551 102539 RSS-210 Denso. Maybe this is the wrong key. can anyone verify?
Old 04-13-10, 06:51 AM
biggieTX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Life saver...just used this to program my two news keys!!
Old 04-13-10, 09:06 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by biggieTX
Life saver...just used this to program my two news keys!!
good job.... u have the chris hanson stamp of approval BTW ty for searching

Old 04-16-10, 12:30 PM
rstreidl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen where the dealer said it wouldn't program the remote buttons on key because of faulty door actuators. Why wouldn't the dealer have used a scan tool? I'd love to get them working.
Old 05-28-10, 09:26 AM
jwm6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I just used this too!
Old 05-28-10, 10:48 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
good job.... u have the chris hanson stamp of approval BTW ty for searching

lol that's hilarious Brian.

"why don't you have a seat over there" lol.
Old 05-28-10, 11:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cpmd
lol that's hilarious Brian.

"why don't you have a seat over there" lol.
hahahaha. i miss that show....we used to have "To catch a predator nights" they were awesome......sad, but awesome
Old 05-28-10, 07:34 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed the ecu on mine, and tired programming the key. It cycles 1 time as it should, and I follow the last step (closing door) but It still doesnt work. What could be the problem?!
Old 08-04-11, 10:58 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Ok so I've tried this before in the past and it didnt work for POO! Well, I got my new switchblade key and said, hmm... Might as well try to program my transmitter again.

Sure enough, no work :/ Then I read above where the dealer said that it wont work if your actuator isnt functioning properly and I was like great one of my actuators is acting up...

Well, even though I read that and it does make sense, I attempted to do it again AS WELL as repeat step 7. Well, after I went 1-6 and kept getting the "2cycle locking" which means it didnt accept it, I redid step 7... STILL didnt accept being stubborn as I am I kept repeating step 7 and use some bad language (which I think did the trick LoL) on the 4th repeat of step 7, it took it!

So for those that this has failed on, repeat step 7 multiple times and it just might take

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 08-04-11 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-28-11, 02:34 PM
novascotia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also have the same problem..i cant get my remote to be able to lock an when i open my doors my dome light doesnt also work plus my light in the front(top)...well i had recently remove the original rear view mirror, could that be the problem that my key does not reach the sensor or is it somthing else...i have also remove both of my sun visor off and the plugs connected to them..if theres is anything u can help me with please to tell.