GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Special tool for Timing belt (GS 300).....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 09:25 PM
HKS GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick question since you just did your timming belt.

I am rebuilding my head with bigger valves and other stuff, but for the love of god I cannot remember the setting that the vvti cam goes. When you set it back on the camshaft and have the timming mark set, does the gear itself have to be shifted all the way to the left or the right?

I can take pictures with arrows and what not if that helps. Any help that anyone can give me I would much appreciate it.
Old 12-29-07, 06:47 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Clue dude. ^^

You know who would know for sure JeffTsai.
He is ripping his engine apart now and would know that answer.

I didn't touch my cam gears for fear of messing something up.
Plus we were running out of daylight.
Old 12-29-07, 09:33 AM
HKS GS300
Driver School Candidate

koo thanks for the help tho
Old 01-15-08, 11:32 AM
jineration
Driver School Candidate

mang i remember i had to help jeff remove this we had a long breaker bar and pretty much did the same this you did and used a pole from a jack and we almost broke the breaker bar mang it was a PAIN!
Old 01-15-08, 04:55 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

ah... i have broken many many breaker bars on those motors trying to get those crank bolts off. i finally broke down and bought a snap-on breaker bar so when they do snap, its warrantied. well worth the money.

im sure the guys at my shop will get a good laugh at that 20' pole picture.

nice write up.
Old 05-02-08, 09:41 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I need to borrow that tool and the bar!!! lol
Old 05-02-08, 09:56 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wow that crazy...and not in a good way lol

you guys make it way to complicated to do the job. when i did my water pump, TB, thermostat, and all the front seals i was done in like under 4 hours. all hand tools. the only thing i did was use the impact on the crank bolt. it all came apart right away. and the pulley came off no problem. and i bought my car from florida too

seriously though...out of all tools you ever own get snap-on breaker bars and sockets. it will be the last time you make that investment.

btw getting the impact on the crank bolt with the radiator out is cake.
Old 05-24-08, 05:07 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whats the name of that tool?
Old 09-17-08, 08:12 PM
lexuseng
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default crankshaft bolt

Here's a method I learned from a mechanic about 20 years ago. I did buy the aftermarket SST to hold the pulley but I couldn't budge the crankshaft bolt. So I took my 2'+ torque wrench and placed it on the ground near the front left tire. Then I hit the starter. It took two hits ( I was being very careful, I didn't want to hold the starter on). I really wanted to take it off manually before resorting to this method on my Lex, I figure it must be hard on the starter but it was a relief when it came off. Next time I will be prepared with a 6' pipe but if that doesn't work, I know this will. The SST did come in handy to re-torque the bolt back on.
Old 09-21-08, 08:12 PM
amkread
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexuseng
Here's a method I learned from a mechanic about 20 years ago. I did buy the aftermarket SST to hold the pulley but I couldn't budge the crankshaft bolt. So I took my 2'+ torque wrench and placed it on the ground near the front left tire. Then I hit the starter. It took two hits ( I was being very careful, I didn't want to hold the starter on). I really wanted to take it off manually before resorting to this method on my Lex, I figure it must be hard on the starter but it was a relief when it came off. Next time I will be prepared with a 6' pipe but if that doesn't work, I know this will. The SST did come in handy to re-torque the bolt back on.
this is definately an old-skoo trick.. but very dangerous at the same time, ive been a tech for 2 years now and ive probably had to do this about 15 or so times when air wouldnt cut it, but about 3 months ago i saw this dude do it on a 01 02ish accord and yeah.. he had to buy a starter for it because he broke the gear smooth off that biyotch.. i will never do it again.

thats why i got one of these...MG725, 1,190ft.lb. breakaway torque FTW.
Old 09-22-08, 04:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, when I was doing timing belt on my LS400, I couldnt get this bolt off for the life of me. A 1/2" impact gun was useless. After much sceptism, I tried the starter method, and it worked like a miracle. I put an 18" breaker bar on that bolt, put a 4' feet long steel tube onto the breaker bar, and had a friend of mine crank the car while I was holding onto the pipe. The bolt came right off. Putting it back on I just torqued it with an impact gun.
Old 09-22-08, 04:26 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

By the way... I dont know about GS, but on LS400 that bolt is torqued at 180 lb/tq! It means that your starter motor is generating well above 180 lb/tq, at very low RPMs. Thats a heck of a lot of torque for a tiny motor.
The following users liked this post:
RSGS430 (10-17-20)
Old 09-22-08, 11:33 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Electric motors can generate a ton of torque compared to a combustion engine. Also, keep in mind the starter motor is using a HUGE gear multiplication to generate that torque. If you've ever taken the transmisison off the engine you will see that the starter rides on the flywheel or flexplate if it's an auto. The gear on the starter is less than 1" diameter and it is driving a flywheel/flexplate that is around 10-12" or so. So if the starter only had 50-100ft/b or torque, the resulting torque after the gearing change would easily be in the several hundred range.
Old 09-22-08, 07:17 PM
novak82
Rookie

wow..umm that was a whole lot of work dat didnt need to take place....all u had to do was take the 2 bolts out that holds the lil cylinder that keeps the idlers tension and then u just slide it off the cam gears ..
Old 09-24-08, 06:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by novak82
wow..umm that was a whole lot of work dat didnt need to take place....all u had to do was take the 2 bolts out that holds the lil cylinder that keeps the idlers tension and then u just slide it off the cam gears ..
Apparently you missed the whole point of this thread. It's not just to loosen the timing belt. To remove the belt completely, the crank pulley has to come out because it prevents a plastic cover on the front of the engine from coming off. You also need to replace the idler and that's also behind the palstic cover.

Quick Reply: Special tool for Timing belt (GS 300).....