GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How's your GS in snow? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 10:49 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

SNOW mode is the the option opposite of POWER mode on that lil' button next to your seat heaters..
Old 01-11-08, 05:19 AM
darchard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not bad in NE!

This is my 1st year with my GS and I live in RI. I installed my ice&snow treads in Dec just before a big storm. They performed really well both on fresh and packed snow! Even on ice. My only complaint is now it is 60 degrees and I know I am chewing these tires up. The noise stinks too.
Old 01-11-08, 09:00 AM
JRRRRRR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darchard
This is my 1st year with my GS and I live in RI. I installed my ice&snow treads in Dec just before a big storm. They performed really well both on fresh and packed snow! Even on ice. My only complaint is now it is 60 degrees and I know I am chewing these tires up. The noise stinks too.
I installed Blizzak W-60s on my G3. I was really dreading the noise. These tires are freaking aweome! I actually think they are quieter than the Eagles I use in the summer and it's got me thinking of buying a new set of summer tires.

-JRRRRRR
Old 01-12-08, 10:00 PM
mikster
Driver School Candidate

gave up w/the GS in snow----- bought an old Pathfinder for winter use.
Old 01-12-08, 11:49 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikster
gave up w/the GS in snow----- bought an old Pathfinder for winter use.
don't blame you, i'd do that too if I lived up in Canada.
Old 01-13-08, 08:10 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darchard
This is why my snow tires and wheels are still in the garage. Only one day where it snowed which was only about 2 1/2 inches; pretty manageable with the GS. Winter not over yet but the snow tires still are on standby.
Old 01-13-08, 03:54 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Those Blizzaks WS60 are fantastic

Driving with factory all seasons in winter snowy conditions in my GS4 is nerve wrecking and sometimes nearly impossible especially if there's a thin ice on the pavement. I finally got me a set of 4 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 tires this past December because my wife got sick and tired of dropping me off at the office when the weather was bad. These tires are awesome in snow. I was expecting lots of tire rumble and noise but surprisingly they are super quiet. I think they are even quieter than my "summer" tires. They offer tremendous bite into snow and icy condition. So far I have not had any problems driving my GS4 in the 4 to 5 snow storms we've had since December. If you want to drive your GS in wintery conditions, the only way to go is to get yourself 4 of the Blizzak WS60.
Old 01-13-08, 06:31 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

snow. snow's interesting in any car.

my pzero nero m&s make it feel more like skiing except that i'm not in complete control, merely steering skis without edges back and forth.

most of the time it works.
lots of planning, a little patience, conservation of momentum.

but when unexpected things happen, there isn't much you can do.

if you have lots of snow, the gs isn't the right car.
but for any other road condition, i'll keep my gs.
Old 01-13-08, 08:15 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I just recently got back from a snowboard trip...and my Gs saw some snow! I am in California and rarely get to drive in that stuff BUT I felt very comfortable in the gs. I have some all seasons that are worn pretty good...stock 16's...Snow mode works as it cut down on the initial spinning of the tires...abs works great as long as you use it correctly..and vsc made it foolish to lose total control...I do agree however, that if you are in some deep stuff the gs probably isn't the best car. What I drove on probably would be laughed at by you snow infested guys...but she made the trip and did it all in comfort...*** out and all...I want to drive snow again...funnest slow speed driving ever.
Old 03-12-08, 04:02 AM
inojenny
Driver School Candidate

Default Does anyone have problems driving in the snow?

I've had my 2000 GS400 for two years now and I love it BUT I'm thinking about trading it in because there is minimal tractions and handles poorling even in 1-2 inches of snow. I used the snow mode button with a little bit of improvement but after two years of sliding and driving 30mph on the freeway is enough! I bought brand new all season tires with no improvements still. I would like some tip on improving on this or my BABY will have to go...HELP!
Old 03-12-08, 05:31 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you need snow tires for winter roads on a set of cheap steel or stock wheels. then switch back to your summer tires and nice wheels for good weather. that's very common practice in europe and starting to catch on in this country too, as many cars come with high perofrmance summer tires that do nothing in snow.
www.tirerack.com has tons of info on snow tires and good prices too. they make a huge difference on a rwd car. do a search on here and you'll see.
Old 03-12-08, 05:46 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No! I put my stock 16's on there for the winter and bought Dunlop M3 Winters for extra precaution; I haven't had an issue after 4+ years! (Knocks on wood)
Old 03-12-08, 06:41 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

i've been driving rwd drive cars in the snow for the past eight years. the key is definitely snow tires.

i survived a SE michigan winter in the GS with all season tires and haven't had any trouble. next season though, i'd like a lil more traction. definitely buy a set of snow tires for the stock wheels yo
Old 03-12-08, 08:37 PM
Hectorm
Pole Position

Why our cars don't have posi-traction? This might help a lot for traction!
Old 03-12-08, 09:29 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

I love my Blizzark WS60, I've drove in 5 inches of snow with little to no problem at all, and daily running around in 2inch~ snow/slush with ice on the bottom. That little was just getting the car to start off from 0, which any non 4wd car would have that problem.

I've tried driving my parent's Mercedes C coupe with stock tires, it doesn't really move beyond idle in just 2-3cm of snow. Snow tires in winter is the best!

Quick Reply: How's your GS in snow? (merged threads)