GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cigarette lighter

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-07, 07:38 PM
mcharity
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette lighter

I love the site. I'm a newbie here and I've a '98 GS400 that rocks! It turns me everytime I drive it. Now, if only the gas mileage was better. Oh well.

No real issues with the ride except that the cigarette lighters and A/C outlets don't work. I checked the fuse and they are good. Perhaps the previous owner "un-did" them? Is there somehting I can do/check to get them working again? :

Also, my remote works but man, I can't be more than 10 feet from the car to do so. Changed the battery in the remote with no improvment. Is this a common issue?

Thanks in advance,
Mike in Maryland

'98 GS400/dark green/113k mi/
Old 11-16-07, 07:55 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

First off, welcome to CL!
Yeah change the battery on your remote and it will get SOME more distance. Out keys suck. Put it on your chin and you'll get even more distance.

As for your cig lighter. I have the same problem, but when I put my charger or cig lighter in half way, it works. So try holding your cig lighter half way for like 20 seconds and see if it works. If it does, then when you plug in whatever you are plugging in, half way, and it should work. If it doesn't work........maybe someone can chime in. Good luck
Old 11-16-07, 10:30 AM
isdjmark
Driver

You should check if any power is going into it? Maybe its a wire that is cut off? Or possible that your cigarette lighter console is broken. And i dont thinks its that much to replace it.
Old 11-16-07, 10:59 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

easy to pull out the tray in front of the shifter ...

turn car to acces ..

hold brake ...

move out of way like d 2

push in the tray let it fold down and wiggle loose until creeps out

then see if it is connected ... if it is ... then get out a multimeter

best of luck
Old 03-22-08, 11:26 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Reviving an old thread ... just in case others run into the same problem.

It has been almost 10years, and we have never had a need to use the cigarette lighter. Added a portable GPS and there was no juice. Tried the outlet in the armrest and that worked.

Based on the advice here, turn the ignition key to ON (releases the lock on gear shifter), engaged the parking brake, moved the shifter to N and pulled out the ash-tray assembly. Disconnected the wires.

Ohm meter showed open on the middle (+12v tip) to the wire in the back. Undid the 7mm nut. Reassembled the 2 layer back end [check from the plug side to make sure the center piece is aligned properly ... the wings should have a gap from the outer shell. Secured the 7mm nut. Check for middle pin connectivity with the wire.

reconnect the connector and slide in the ash-tray assembly.

Time taken < 20 minutes. No additional parts are required.

[Based on the search it seems like a common early model production problem in GS .. there is a TSB but I could not read it].

Salim
Old 11-22-08, 08:55 AM
GS3loco
Rookie

This is good info from Salim as I have the same problem with my 99 GS300.
Old 11-22-08, 12:13 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

yo my lighter suks too. It works but only once a day (for the lighter) pops out immaturely.
Old 12-30-08, 08:58 AM
GS3loco
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Reassembled the 2 layer back end [check from the plug side to make sure the center piece is aligned properly ... the wings should have a gap from the outer shell. Secured the 7mm nut. Check for middle pin connectivity with the wire.

[Based on the search it seems like a common early model production problem in GS .. there is a TSB but I could not read it].

Salim
I'm still having this problem with my cig lighter (need for GPS) and thinking I have the same issue as Salim. Does anyone have any additional advice on this?

I'm not sure what my plug should look like when it's reassembled properly.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-08, 10:35 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Salim
Do you have a number on that TSB?
Old 03-23-10, 05:46 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Reviving an old thread ... just in case others run into the same problem.

It has been almost 10years, and we have never had a need to use the cigarette lighter. Added a portable GPS and there was no juice. Tried the outlet in the armrest and that worked.

Based on the advice here, turn the ignition key to ON (releases the lock on gear shifter), engaged the parking brake, moved the shifter to N and pulled out the ash-tray assembly. Disconnected the wires.

Ohm meter showed open on the middle (+12v tip) to the wire in the back. Undid the 7mm nut. Reassembled the 2 layer back end [check from the plug side to make sure the center piece is aligned properly ... the wings should have a gap from the outer shell. Secured the 7mm nut. Check for middle pin connectivity with the wire.

reconnect the connector and slide in the ash-tray assembly.

Time taken < 20 minutes. No additional parts are required.

Salim
I am having this exact same problem. The power source in the ashtray does not work (but the power source at the bottom of the center counsel does work). Salim, if you're still around, could you provide a little more detail on what you did to fix the problem? I've read your solution a few times and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. Thanks for any help.

e
Old 03-24-10, 05:58 AM
GS3loco
Rookie

Originally Posted by e-man
I am having this exact same problem.....I've read your solution a few times and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. Thanks for any help.

e
Ditto for me too.
Old 03-31-10, 06:02 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

im having the complete opposite problem, i am not getting power in the center console, but it works in the ashtray.
Old 05-25-10, 11:45 AM
writeingie
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

Did you by any chance figure out why the cig lighter works but not the one under the armrest? I'm having the same issue...

Thx.