GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

any long distance drivers

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 08:31 AM
lexluger71
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any long distance drivers

hey gang i am about to take a trip from florida to newyork, about an 18 hr drive , has anybody took any long trips like that with thier gs, was it a comfortable ride, any problems on the trip, and what should i check before i leave on my trip, was think about changing my timing belt, i am about to hit 80,000 miles, any suggestions?
Old 10-05-07, 09:55 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me, me, me.... Im here in Kentucky and have driven to NY (12hr) Chicago (6hr) Birmingham,AL (5 hr).... Its all been a safe and comfortable ride, also not so much wind noise Here in 2 weeks im going to Rogersville,MO (8hr).... There should be no problem, just check and make sure you have a recent oil change (i always do this when i take big trips) and plenty of gas money
Old 10-05-07, 09:57 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't taken a trip that long yet but i did go to Naples last weekend from Miami, about 120 miles - hour and a half ride and it was great !! first time I've taken the GS out of the City, and in two weeks I'll be driving up to Orlando for Horror Nights !! That's about a 3 - 4 hour drive. The trip was extremely comfortable, left the cruise control on about 70 - 75 and cruised the whole way to Naples slightly reclined with windows down and music blasting, loved it
Old 10-05-07, 12:04 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexluger71
hey gang i am about to take a trip from florida to newyork, about an 18 hr drive , has anybody took any long trips like that with thier gs, was it a comfortable ride, any problems on the trip, and what should i check before i leave on my trip, was think about changing my timing belt, i am about to hit 80,000 miles, any suggestions?
I went from Tampa to Wise, VA in my GS. It was a great trip. It was a trip that was made with three other people and everyone was comfortable. I did a full check up before I left of all the fluids and filters as well as a general run through of things like tires and brakes. I suggest having a good flashlight, making sure that your spare has air, and carrying a bottle of the oil you use. Personally, considering the milage that's involved, I changed the oil before I left and when i got back. I know that was probably a little overkill considering I drove exactly 3000 miles when I returned to my home, I felt that it was only a good thing because of the areas that we drove through. My GS at the time had 140,XXX miles on it at the time of the trip...

You'll be fine!
Old 10-05-07, 02:23 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oil, brakes, tire pressure, de-junk car of crap, car wash, LOTS of good music.
Old 10-06-07, 07:57 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a round trip from Jersey around Virginia and back. About 1,600 miles total. I have ML and Nav. Both much needed for a long trip. I packed a rubbermaid container with the following: oil,antifreeze,distilled water,jumper cables,one of those portable jump starters,tire blocks,air compressor,spare wiper blades(used one of them as new one broke) and extra tools. I normally keep a small set of tools,duct tape(a must),metal hanger,flashlight,car cell phone charger,work gloves, a rain suit and a blanket in the car. I just wished I took more CD's.

Check the items posted above as well as your belts and battery. It was a great ride.
Old 10-06-07, 08:51 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

What was the metal hanger for?
Old 10-06-07, 08:53 PM
Bigbea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

farthest so far was 5 and had a pleasant experience. Car's nice and comfy for a long drive. Beats the hell out of my other car(2000 accord coupe)
Old 10-06-07, 10:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I dont know what you guys have been driving, but my GS isn't as comfortable on long drives. It's the darn seats that annoys me. My butt starts to hurt after 20 minutes of driving. There is little thigh and side support. I feel like I'm sitting on top of cardboards. Dont get my wrong though, I like the quietness and its softness over bumps, but the seat is uncomfortable. Apparantly I'm not the only one who has had the same problem

Other than that, I'm thinking about a 2000 mile trip from sourthern CA to chicago, IL. But with the gas price and all, I think a round trip ticket will probably cost less than 1-way worth of gasoline
Old 10-06-07, 11:12 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexluger71
ny--the place to bee

hit some of us up when you get here!
and enjoy the trip..

and font forget to take a detector!!!! a roadtrip must
Old 10-07-07, 04:40 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I've driven all over Texas and to a few neighboring states. Car has been rock solid and reliable even with the turbo setup driven hard. Only a few small issues that were actually my fault. Had a flat and I didn't carry a spare on a long road trip lol. The other was that my battery died. I was supposed to put some insulation between the battery and turbo but I was too lazy. Too much heat will kill the battery. I got fed up with the battery quitting on me so I finally installed the necessary insulation and now there are no more issues.
Old 10-07-07, 12:41 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2turbo4u
What was the metal hanger for?
Incase an exhaust hanger gives out or something comes loose that needs strong support.
Old 10-07-07, 01:33 PM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

I drove my GS300 from Orlando Fl to West Hempstead. The trip was great and the gs handled very well. The only problem, driving on the expressways around Coney Island on 18's on L-tuned suspension. I thought for sure I was going to bend a wheel. The GS had approx 135,000 miles on it as well. Had no mechanical issues at all. I used a nose bra on the frontend. I waxed the front very well before I made the trip (I know not resommended), but the rocks on the road wouldn've beatup the frontend. Good luck on your trip and enjoy the GS. I hope you're not planning to drive straight through!!
Old 10-08-07, 11:38 AM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

I've driven from Southern CT to Dayton, OH (Roughly 1400 round trip) and it took about 11hrs including the usual crappy traffic in NY and Jersey. The car was very comfortable, and I just made sure the lumbar was at its fullest - Got 27mpg roughly crusing at 75+mph and we had a great time. I didn't bring anything except food and good music, because I've never had to worry about this car breaking down.

Oh yeah, that was with about 95k on the odometer.
Old 10-09-07, 11:30 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I drove to NC and back this summer. The worst part of the trip is getting stone chips and an occasional shredded tire in the way. Don't worry about the timing belt right now. I did my dads t-belt on his LS400 at 9X,000 miles and it still looked new. I have 106,000 miles on mine, and I will do it over winter.

Quick Reply: any long distance drivers