GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Question about Aristo swap and NA-T

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 08:50 AM
1776dmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Question about Aristo swap and NA-T

Hey, I have read around about doing an Aristo swap or na-t build in a 2gs. I need it for a daily driver for college. I will be going to college Fall of 2018. This project would be for next summer. I have a 98 GS300 with about 190,000 miles on it. I would build the engine if I did the na-t build. The transmission was fully rebuilt and has about a thousand miles on it as of now. This has been on my mind for about several months but I cannot wrap my head around what would be more practical. If I did the Aristo swap I would probably have the shop do it and would keep the TT for some time. With the na-t, I would get a shop to do that too. Unless I can find someone in the area who has the proper equipment. I know this has been discussed a billion times but for the position that I am in I would like some advice. I am not looking for 400hp either, nothing too crazy, 350 max. Thank you!
Old 02-08-18, 12:06 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

If you need a reliable car then leave it stock. Adding a turbo or engine swap is fun but it will always cause unforeseen problems and especially if you can't fix it yourself...leave it be. Sorry to be a buzzkill but an NA-T or GTE swap are not as simple as they look unless you've done this stuff before.
Old 02-08-18, 03:34 PM
1776dmc
Driver School Candidate

I know the parts that I have to get for the Aristo swap. I would leave the GTE stock for awhile. I understand the reasoning though. Thank you for the input!
Old 02-08-18, 04:05 PM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
If you need a reliable car then leave it stock. Adding a turbo or engine swap is fun but it will always cause unforeseen problems and especially if you can't fix it yourself...leave it be. Sorry to be a buzzkill but an NA-T or GTE swap are not as simple as they look unless you've done this stuff before.
Seconded... If you are a college student you're not gonna have money to upkeep on a turbo car, or even a modified one for that sake. I know its boring to have a stock car but you're in college and believe me the last thing you need to stress about is getting to and from school when the wiring job you and your buddies did on your 2J swap is ****ing up and keeping the car from running right.
Old 02-08-18, 04:39 PM
firelizard

Received 421 Likes on 336 Posts

Sell your 300 and get a 430. Or even better, get something from the past decade if you want reliable.

If you are low on funds, can't do work yourself, and pay a shop to do a GTE swap or GE+T, you will either have no money for food, rent, or fun, or you will have a ****ty "work in progress" daily driver for way longer than is acceptable for a daily driver.
Old 02-09-18, 08:48 AM
1776dmc
Driver School Candidate

Funds shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Left over scholarship money is all I’m going to say. I would plan on working during the summer though. This would be for next years summer.
Old 02-09-18, 03:56 PM
cdiiwu
Driver

as a college student who owns an aristo, id advise that you keep your gs300 just stock. save your money. Importing an aristo is the worst thing thats happened to me...came in as a mint car, but 2j parts are expensive when they break, and things are bound to go wrong with an old car. WHen i first bought the car i just wanted a nice fast daily....but now its slammed on SSR's and im piecing together parts to go single turbo and rebuild the transmission.

SLippery slope once you get started

Just my 2cents
The following users liked this post:
dctrr (01-18-24)
Old 02-14-18, 08:29 PM
Aussiegs3
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve just done an aristo swap on my gs300.. it’s not as easy as you would think... you’ll need a half cut to make it easy or you have to do some custom work with throttle cable and power steering. If you use the gs300 gearbox on the aristo engine, you’ll have to piggy back an aftermarket ECU to run the engine and the gs300 to run the 5 speed box. If you use the aristo 4speed, the tail shaft from the gs300 won’t fit and you have to get aristo shaft and get it made up to be front half aristo and rear half gs300, otherwise you have to make the hole drive train aristo and it will be a massive head ache. Turboing your engine you have now will be a lot easier but it mite not last long as they aren’t as strong as the aristo engines and between the gs NA and the aristo TT engine, there is a lot of internal differences.
Old 02-15-18, 07:32 AM
1776dmc
Driver School Candidate

Which is why I would replace the rods and lower the compression if I did a NA-T later on.
Old 02-15-18, 02:44 PM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

*sigh*... Seriously dude just enjoy being a college student. Spend that money on beers with the boys and taking girls out on dates. Enjoy your early 20's, trust me when I say that's one of the best times in life. You will not want to worry about how you're gonna eat (spent all your money on parts) or drive to school (car's broken). If you want to modify your car I would just start with the basics, stuff like suspension / wheels / exhaust / mild performance stuff. There's nothing wrong with easing into it and taking your time with a build. If after 6 months or a year of school you do the math and can actually afford to build the car then do it. No sense in jumping into it too soon.

Additionally there will be a time in the somewhat near future after you graduate, have paid off your student loans and have a sweet job. This is the point in time when you're gonna have a ball building cars and the answer to that question of whether to do na-t or aristo motor at that point in time will invariably be ball out with an aristo motor. Until then have fun in school and patience. Good things come to those who wait.
Old 02-15-18, 03:13 PM
1776dmc
Driver School Candidate

Haha yeah I came to that conclusion the other day. Work on the suspension and probably get different wheels, get LEDs in the footwell and have the seasts restored. Do regular maintainnce and all. I’ll put a turbo on it after I get ou of college. I’ll be a NA-T because the transmission is in awesome shape. Got it rebuilt. It has about 1000 miles on it as of now. Thanks for all of the feedback!
The following users liked this post:
Aussiegs3 (02-15-18)