GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

black 2gs owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 08:55 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default black 2gs owners

how often do you clean your gs , cause i notice black gets dusty quick or it is more easy to see. i have to dust down my car everyday. one more question do any of yall after getting your car washed there are spots by the trunk and bumper or maybe it is the soap i am using,
Old 07-16-07, 10:39 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Mine stays in the garage alot. Drive my CRV and my RX. But anyhow black does accumulates dust, but a simple california duster works wonders. If you see spots from washing your car, maybe its about time for some claybar and a good coat of wax.
Old 07-16-07, 10:58 PM
LexFather

Having my first black car in 10 years, I remember one of the reasons I had white cars the last 10 years.

It looks the best clean, for all of 5 minutes...
Old 07-17-07, 05:23 AM
lexluger71
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Having my first black car in 10 years, I remember one of the reasons I had white cars the last 10 years.

It looks the best clean, for all of 5 minutes...
lol......... you would think white cars get dirty quicker
Old 07-17-07, 07:01 AM
LexChipS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I clean my black GS probably 2- 3 times a week and the wheels get cleaned 3-4 times a week. All hand washed the only way to clean!
Old 07-17-07, 10:28 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

I only take it for professional washes. Don't want swirls/scratches.
Old 07-17-07, 10:54 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually wash it about once a week.

I keep it clean by using the california duster plus I have the Lexus car cover for it. The cover does wonders on keeping it clean when your not driving it. In between washes, I use Meguiers Quik detailer.

If your getting spots like that, it most likely means its drying before you rinse it down.
Old 07-17-07, 10:58 AM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSoup
I usually wash it about once a week.

I keep it clean by using the california duster plus I have the Lexus car cover for it. The cover does wonders on keeping it clean when your not driving it. In between washes, I use Meguiers Quik detailer.

If your getting spots like that, it most likely means its drying before you rinse it down.

Off topic but where can i get the oem lexus cover? And how much $?
Old 07-17-07, 11:23 AM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

I don't get the garage I so wash it once a week. Dust is very visible on black paint and it's a pain to wash due to water spots.
Old 07-17-07, 11:37 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, the water spots are there cuz you didn't dry off your car well enough, or you weren't quick enough to dry your whole car off in time before the water spots dried. Try to either wash your car in the morning or in the mid to late afternoon. Washing and drying your car at noon is a losing battle, and you will get streaks and water spots since the sun it too hot. Also, after you finish washing, unlock all your doors, truck, hood, gas cap, side mirrors, and give them a good shake to get that water buildup out so it does slowing drip and dry all over your freshly washed black paint.

As for washing, I religiously wash every friday afternoon after work, so the Lex Bubble is shiny for the weekend baby! Moreover, I also dont have a garage spot. I California Dust EVERYDAY after work, its best around the evening time, dusk is not good cuz condensation plus Cali Duster plus black paint equals nasty streaks everywhere. Besides that, I just use QuikDetailer and MF towel to wipe bird droppings off, which will DDDESTROY black paint in the sun.

High maintenance, but well worth the effort.
Old 07-17-07, 12:25 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JMgs300
Off topic but where can i get the oem lexus cover? And how much $?
I got lucky when I bought mine. There was a guy selling it on craigslist and he only had it for like 4 months. He no longer needed it because his lease was up. So i got it cheap.

Sewell carries them...
http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....ID=9&ModelID=8

..back to topic.
Old 07-17-07, 12:45 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

My car is dirty all the time. I live in seattle and YA weve had sun for about a week for the summer so far.. but its usually muggy here so I dont know if the California duster will work so well? What is one anyways? Where can I get one and how much? I really need to dust my baby more often. Also what is that quick wash and MF? ure talkin about?
Old 07-17-07, 12:54 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my car is clean each and every time it is in public. i clean vigorously almost before everytime i drive. i am also sponsored by meguiar's so it makes it less costly. wheels are def cleaned everytime it goes out, the whole wheel including the back lip. that brake dust can kill your wheels if left on for too long. wash, dry, claybar, wash, wax, detail spray, etc...
Old 07-17-07, 01:00 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

my car gets dirty all the time, and it's not exactly black either.
Old 07-17-07, 01:32 PM
LexChipS
Driver

Where can one get this California duster from??? Also what do you use on your wheels to help keep brake dust from damaging them?

Quick Reply: black 2gs owners