GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 02:53 AM
desom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chichat
This video will be very helpful. Thanks so much!
Old 07-18-13, 01:51 PM
GS4hunnit
Driver

Originally Posted by TI II
Which length is needed to do the front

This is the gear puller?

So after removing the plastic piece off the old motor shaft with the gear puller how did everyone put that piece on the new motor? I don't want to hammer it in, what methods did you guys use?
Old 07-18-13, 05:34 PM
RJlexGS
Driver School Candidate

I am new to this club and first off wanted to say this site and information is great!

I am in need of some advice, I recently changed the remote battery in my 2001 GS300 and shortly after the passenger side rear door began intermittently not locking/unlocking with the FOB and then with the door switch the same happened. Over the next week or two the passenger front and driver rear door all did the same. Is it possible that I need to replace all the actuator motors? Any help will greatly be appreciated.
Old 07-18-13, 06:00 PM
RJlexGS
Driver School Candidate

Default Door Acuator

2001 GS300

I recently changed the battery in my key FOB and shortly after my passenger rear door lock began not locking with the FOB. However it would lock with the door button on drivers door. Then shortly after the passenger front and driver rear did the exact same thing. When you hit the FOB or the lock button you can hear the motors in the doors and the lock starts to move but it never actually locks. Could it be possible that I need to replace actuators in all doors? I appreciate any help given.
Old 07-18-13, 06:31 PM
jegyed
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the middle of doing 2 of my doors ( 2001 GS430) . I luckily read earlier in the thread to leave the window in. I also left in the window track and the actuator assembly came right out. However I am really struggling with the back door, I am about to remove the door handle because I cannot seem to wiggle it the right way. Could you be a little more descriptive on how to get it free, the help would be appreciated.
Old 07-18-13, 06:55 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=jegyed;6380 in the middle of doing 2 of my doors ( 2001 GS430) . I luckily read earlier in the thread to leave the window in. I also left in the window track and the actuator assembly came right out. However I am really struggling with the back door, I am about to remove the door handle because I cannot seem to wiggle it the right way. Could you be a little more descriptive on how to get it free, the help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Just Refer To the latter Part Of This thread. Wiggling The Door Handle Is Not The Correct Method

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...epair-diy.html
Old 07-18-13, 07:53 PM
jegyed
Driver

Default Thank you so much, One more question

Originally Posted by ProfesrLEX
Just Refer To the latter Part Of This thread. Wiggling The Door Handle Is Not The Correct Method

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...epair-diy.html
I knew I was doing something wrong. Thanks for the fast reply. My other question is why, when doing the fronts do the speakers need to be removed? I did this following directions but did not see the reason for it, what am I missing?
Old 07-19-13, 02:13 PM
jegyed
Driver

Default Rear Door, pulling on the cable to free actuator- easy

[QUOTE=jegyed;8046526]I knew I was doing something wrong. Thanks for the fast reply.

In the thread it says to make sure the door is unlocked. To do this you pull out the black cable, the housing with the black end, this makes it possible to move the lever that gets hung up on the door handle. You move the lever by pulling OUT on the cable with the clear or white end.

I saw in the above thread,towards the end, someone was recommending moving the lever with a long screwdriver which would entail visually being able to see it. Hopefully this will explain why you pull on the cable, and save you a bunch of time and from the frustration of playing with a screwdriver to move it.

Last edited by jegyed; 07-19-13 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Grammar and edit on procedure
Old 07-25-13, 07:37 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

Just wanted to post if ur in Houston TX go to Stereo EFX on northside to do your door actuators... man I did one of those n its a pita... they did it for me for same cost I bought 1 actuator for..happy with their work and its cheap considering it took me 3 hrs to do one lol... I just got a 430 and it needed 3 done, the did all 4 and charged me for what the quoted for 3 told me from their experience older motors get weaker n is better to do all since I already had 3 bad ones . good shop for our car.. taking out resignator too lets hear that v8 (same shop)
Old 07-27-13, 07:29 PM
SuperImp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 98LexusGS3
I can confirm that part # 69120-06010 does work on the drivers side front door for a 1998 Lexus GS300. I ordered the part off of RockAuto.com for around 80$ shipped. It's a different color than the original actuator (black) but it mounts and works just as good as the original actuator. I just ordered the actuator for the rear right door, part # 69130-30110 from RockAuto.com. I'll confirm if that works as well. I believe these actuators are compatible with Toyota Siennas, 03 model Prius, etc. The price is significantly marked up if you search for the part under our Lexus make and model.
Thx 98LexusGS3 for the info. I ended up browsing that RockAuto.com site and looked at the actuators. Looks like they are definitely interchangeable with the 2001-2003 Prius models. Plus, they are white and look exactly like the Lexus versions.

Earlier, I did the motor replacement for my Front Left door. Everything looked ok initially (Using the FOB), but I was having issues with using the key to manually unlock the door. Manually locking was fine, but looks like the motor/gears were causing some sort of hard jam. After numerous re-installs to make sure I didn't miss something, I came to the conclusion the motor was damaged or I had damaged something while opening the enclosed case (What a pain that was). I'd later get a buzzing noise too as a result of the motor not having a firm grip on the coupling anymore.

I ended up buying the 2001 Toyota Prius Front Left Actuator. I installed it and everything is working perfectly fine now. The model I bought was 8D1293, but looks like I might of bought the last one . The Front Door Actuator should be compatible with DLA650 too. In case anyone doesn't want to go the motor replacement, you can just buy this for a quick swap. It'll run you around $80.

My Rear Right is now acting up, but works most of the time. I'll be buying the entire case again. I'll be using DLA234. Will report back after I get it up and running.

Thx all for the good info on this thread!

Btw - This is a 2000 GS 300

Last edited by SuperImp; 07-27-13 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Forgot Lexus Model.
Old 07-28-13, 11:37 PM
desom
Driver School Candidate

I recently purchased and installed a door lock acuator motor. Well it crapped out on me so I was hoping someone would know where I'd be able to purchase a new legit one at.
Old 07-29-13, 05:28 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the oem door lock actuator assemblies the same/compatible 98-00 and 01-05. Could a 98 work on a 04 ?
Old 08-08-13, 04:20 PM
RJlexGS
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys in need of some help please. My door locks aren't responding to the key fob or the power lock button but you can hear the actuator kicking when you hit the button or the fob. They actually will kick once and then again in about two seconds but they won't lock or unlock. Should I replace the actuators or is there another issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

RJLexGS
Old 08-09-13, 06:56 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RJlexGS
Hey guys in need of some help please. My door locks aren't responding to the key fob or the power lock button but you can hear the actuator kicking when you hit the button or the fob. They actually will kick once and then again in about two seconds but they won't lock or unlock. Should I replace the actuators or is there another issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

RJLexGS
Yes, replace. They are on their last leg..
Old 08-09-13, 07:42 AM
damiendada
Rookie

Great DIY. Just did this, was a breeze after the first one.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???