Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pictures: GS400 timing belt parts and part #'s. How-to soon.

Old 06-07-14, 08:59 PM   #106
pinoiryder
Pole Position
Trader Score: (5)

pinoiryder pinoiryder Thony Pineda
Send a message via MSN to pinoiryder Send a message via Yahoo to pinoiryder Send a message via Skype™ to pinoiryder

what is the best way to install the crank seal? I just ruined 1 and don't want to happen again.. thank you for the guidance..
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
02' Toyota Camry STILL OWN! (130K and counting)
pinoiryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-14, 09:56 PM   #107
ttaylor993
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoiryder View Post
what is the best way to install the crank seal? I just ruined 1 and don't want to happen again.. thank you for the guidance..
You could get you one of those seal installation kits for about $100. Or you could do what I did and go the Home Depot and get some PVC pipe. I got a couple of 2 inch (I think) diameter PVC pipe caps and drilled (with a hole saw) a 1 1/2 inch whole in each; big enough for the crank to fit thru. Then I bought a piece of 2 inch diameter PVC nipple about 4 inches long. Put the cap on each end of the nipple, put the seal in place, put the PVC set up in place and used the crank bolt to make the PVC force the seal in place. I may be off on the size of the caps and nipples but you should get the idea. Also, you may want to lube the seal before seating. Oil is good, silicone is better although you have to work kinda quickly with the silicon as it will get tacky after a few minutes. But it makes a good seal. Total cost including the hole saw was about $10. Hope this helps.
ttaylor993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 08:55 PM   #108
pinoiryder
Pole Position
Trader Score: (5)

pinoiryder pinoiryder Thony Pineda
Send a message via MSN to pinoiryder Send a message via Yahoo to pinoiryder Send a message via Skype™ to pinoiryder

I have to redo my timing belt.. but i am confused on how to align the timing belt with the crank..
02' Toyota Camry STILL OWN! (130K and counting)
pinoiryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 09:15 PM   #109
tmf2004
10 years on Clublexus
Trader Score: (12)

anthonymichael34

Quote:
I have to redo my timing belt.. but i am confused on how to align the timing belt with the crank..

To install:
10. Align the installation mark on the timing belt with the drilled mark of the crankshaft timing pulley. Install the timing belt on the crankshaft timing pulley, No. 1 idler pulley and the No. 2 idler pulley.
NOTE: If the old timing belt is being reinstalled, be sure the directional arrow is facing in the original direction and that the belt and crankshaft gear matchmarks are properly aligned.
11. Install the timing belt guide (No. 1 crank angle sensor plate) with the cup side facing forward. Replace the timing belt cover spacer.
12. Install the No. 1 timing belt cover and tighten the mounting bolts. On the SC400, install the hydraulic pump. Install the fan bracket.
13. Align the pulley set key on the crankshaft with the key groove of the pulley. Install the pulley, using the proper tool to tap in the pulley. Tighten the pulley bolt to 181 ft. lbs. (245 Nm).
14. Align the knock pin on the right side camshaft with the knock pin of the timing pulley. Slide on the timing pulley with the right side mark facing forward. Tighten the bolt to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
15. Align the knock pin on the left side camshaft with the knock pin of the timing pulley. Slide on the timing pulley with the left side mark facing forward. Tighten the bolt to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
16. Turn the crankshaft pulley and align its groove with the 0 timing mark on the No. 1 timing belt cover. Using the proper tool, turn the crankshaft timing pulley and align the timing marks of the camshaft timing pulley and the timing belt rear plate.
17. Install the timing belt to the left side camshaft timing pulley by:
A. Using the proper tool, slightly turn the left side timing pulley clockwise. Align the installation mark of the timing belt with the timing mark of the camshaft timing pulley and hang the timing belt on the left side camshaft pulley.
B. Using the proper tool, align the timing marks of the left side camshaft pulley and the timing belt rear plate.
C. Check that the timing belt has tension between crankshaft timing pulley and the left side camshaft pulley.
18. Install the timing belt to the right side camshaft timing pulley by:
A. Using the proper tool, slightly turn the right side timing pulley clockwise. Align the installation mark of the timing belt with the timing mark of the camshaft timing pulley and hang the timing belt on the right side camshaft pulley.
B. Using the proper tool, align the timing marks of the right side camshaft pulley and the timing belt rear plate.
C. Check that the timing belt has tension between the crankshaft timing pulley and the right side camshaft pulley.
19. The timing belt tensioner must be set prior to installation. The tensioner can be set as follows:
A. Place a plate washer between the tensioner and a block. Using a suitable press, press in the pushrod using 2202205 lbs. (1001000kg) of pressure.
B. Align the holes of the pushrod and housing, pass the proper tool (0.05 in. Allen wrench) through the holes to keep the setting position of the pushrod.
C. Release the press and install the dust boot on the tensioner.
20. Install the tensioner and tighten the bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (26 Nm). Remove the tool from the tensioner.
21. Turn the crankshaft pulley two complete revolutions from TDC-to-TDC. Always turn the crankshaft clockwise. Check that each pulley aligns with the timing marks.
22. Install all remaining components in the reverse order of removal.

2011 Vossen Clublexus Contest Winner

1999 GS400
2012 Kia Optima SWP TURBO

Past: 88 Samurai--87 mustang LX GT conv--95 Mustang GT auto--97 Lexus Es300
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtotheJ View Post
Drone is overrated......let the V8 breathe!
tmf2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 11:19 PM   #110
ttaylor993
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
tmf2004 gave you some pretty good instructions. But, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Check out this video.

Sorry, I misread. This video is for a GS300. Although it still may be useful.
ttaylor993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 01:47 AM   #111
tmf2004
10 years on Clublexus
Trader Score: (12)

anthonymichael34

I just copied and pasted from OP's original post which i hope pinoryder started reading at post 1... There's also that Youtube video on the LS430 and he explains how to set the timing...

2011 Vossen Clublexus Contest Winner

1999 GS400
2012 Kia Optima SWP TURBO

Past: 88 Samurai--87 mustang LX GT conv--95 Mustang GT auto--97 Lexus Es300
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtotheJ View Post
Drone is overrated......let the V8 breathe!
tmf2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 01:47 AM

Tags
40, 400, 47, belt, camshaft, change, gear, gs, gs400, howto, lexus, marks, removal, replace, set, timing, timming, toyota