GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how to add freon to a/c system

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 08:08 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to add freon to a/c system

I just spent the last 45mins searching theforums but came up with nothing.
Can someone please tell/show me how to add freon to the a/c system. I think my a/c is not getting too cold. I don't know where or how to add freon so please be basic in your explanation.
also, what type should i buy and how many cans?
Pics, if possible, would help a lot too.
thanks alot
olddog

Last edited by olddog; 06-12-07 at 08:09 PM. Reason: title
Old 06-12-07, 09:06 PM
jaja
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you have a gs3, but on my gs4 there is a low pressure (I think it was low pressure...) opening near the driver's side headlamp, to the rear of the radiator. its a good 12-14" down there so make sure that you get a long enough connector to the 134a can. I picked up one of those long cans with a replacable trigger thing with the meter (don't know what its called) that you can put on cans that cost around $10 each... just make sure that you use the meter to check to see if low 134a is really your problem.

i've done it several times, just make sure you turn on the engine and a/c before you put the gas in...

good luck
Old 06-13-07, 07:20 AM
olddog
Pole Position

thanks man
how do i know what pressure is right.
i went to walmart and found a refrigerant called"duracool". is that good enough?
they were also selling this pipe connector thingy which connects to the can and i guess to the low pressure valve.
if i just hook this up this way and release the gas into the system, how do i know when its filled up or enough? i heard too much is not good.
i also hear of a leak stopper which you can put in the system. where do you get that from and how do you put that in also?
thanks
olddog

Last edited by olddog; 06-13-07 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-13-07, 01:32 PM
olddog
Pole Position

anybody has knowledge to share?
Old 06-13-07, 02:06 PM
jaja
Pole Position

the connector i bought has a built in pressure meter in it.... i don't think that there is any way to measure the pressure without one.

jaja

Last edited by jaja; 06-13-07 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-13-07, 02:29 PM
jaja
Pole Position

also - i'm not sure about the leak stoppers... they usually have bad stuff in them (esp for tires... i would assume the stuff for a/c is no better....) maybe someone else has some info
Old 06-13-07, 02:32 PM
olddog
Pole Position

so, what pressure does it have to be at?
and how do you know when you have put in enough gas?
does it stop sucking in automatically ordo i have to monitor it?
thanks
olddog
Old 06-13-07, 02:42 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you should get your ac system checked. Freon regenerates. When the system needs more it means there is a leak. If you fill it, it will just leak out again. That's okay if it only needs a reboost every year or so. But if it's frequent, it'll only lead to more problems. Get it checked out before the reboost.
Old 06-13-07, 02:45 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like I will do a DIY on this...be this weekend for you olddog

yes the gauge is low-tech but will show you when the system is full. and use the low pressure port sounds like you got it figured out. run the a/c on while charging watch your fingers while the engine is running. will have pictures if you want.

reggiek is correct as well
Old 06-13-07, 04:20 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by reggiek
I think you should get your ac system checked. Freon regenerates. When the system needs more it means there is a leak. If you fill it, it will just leak out again. That's okay if it only needs a reboost every year or so. But if it's frequent, it'll only lead to more problems. Get it checked out before the reboost.
i changed my condenser last year so i don't know whether it needs a reboost. if you are talking about a recharge, the system works fine cos the compressor comes on and the temp gets cold. the a/c gets cold but not very cold as some others. even late at night when its cool it does not get very cold like other cars.
Originally Posted by ksu1998
sounds like I will do a DIY on this...be this weekend for you olddog

yes the gauge is low-tech but will show you when the system is full. and use the low pressure port sounds like you got it figured out. run the a/c on while charging watch your fingers while the engine is running. will have pictures if you want.

reggiek is correct as well
i would most definitely appreciate a DIY on this. And pictures would definitely be of great help.
reason i want to do this myself is cos the lowest quote i could get was $170. most said they don't top off the freon and have to do a full recharge.
don't have that kind of money to "give-off" for nothing.
the weekend is not far away and i can wait.
thanks alot
olddog
Old 06-13-07, 04:28 PM
samster
Pole Position

if u follow the A/c lines i believe on the gs300 2nd gen, mine was somewhere by the radiator behind the bumper, there is a clear glass thing for u to view the freon and a screw cap that has L printed on it for low end. If it has freon u might need to get it vacumed and recharged professionally, But if u wanna try for a can or two of r143a then have ur car running with ur a/c on full blast look at the meter and put in a can of freon to the Low end connector and u should see if the glass partion is filling up. I believe if ur freons on low it shuld take 2 cans of r134a on or systems
Old 06-13-07, 04:29 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by olddog
i changed my condenser last year so i don't know whether it needs a reboost. if you are talking about a recharge, the system works fine cos the compressor comes on and the temp gets cold. the a/c gets cold but not very cold as some others. even late at night when its cool it does not get very cold like other cars.

i would most definitely appreciate a DIY on this. And pictures would definitely be of great help.
reason i want to do this myself is cos the lowest quote i could get was $170. most said they don't top off the freon and have to do a full recharge.
don't have that kind of money to "give-off" for nothing.
the weekend is not far away and i can wait.
thanks alot
olddog
If the fan blows hard and it's still not getting cold, there is a leak and it needs service.
Old 06-14-07, 03:00 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The guys are giving some good info. I will take pics for you if you still would like. I will be charging mine on friday night or saturday.

D
Old 06-14-07, 10:18 PM
olddog
Pole Position

i think i got all i need from what the guys offered. but what is better than a verbal training is a visual practice. i will wait till the weekend. so please go ahead and post some pics.
not just for me but also for the benefit of others who might need this.
i wish you could do it asap as i am one impatient bastard
BTW, will it be neccessary to check the pressure?
also, do you keep putting freon until it reaches the higher end?
thanks
olddog
Old 06-15-07, 06:19 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Hey olddog, while you wait for pics to be posted, you might want to check for leaks which is fairly easy to do. Run your A/C and with a Gas Leak Detector check all the a/c connections, preferably starting at the condenser since you changed this last year. Then, if you can get a hold of a 134a Pressure gauge like this one http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog you can check if your a/c system is working properly. I'm not sure what the correct pressures are for the GS. Hope this helps.

Note: If your A/C was not serviced properly, it will not cool as advertised, so if the DIY items don't work you might need to get it professionally serviced.

Quick Reply: how to add freon to a/c system