GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how to add freon to a/c system

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07, 11:56 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default its saturday

Originally Posted by ksu1998
The guys are giving some good info. I will take pics for you if you still would like. I will be charging mine on friday night or saturday.

D
yes, its saturday bro.
lets get those pics up
that is whenever you have the chance.
thanks
olddog

Last edited by olddog; 06-16-07 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-16-07, 01:10 AM
jaja
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude - thats a serious gauge there.... mine was like $15 incl a big bottle of 134a.... should've taken pictures - i actually did it like 10 mins ago....

its not that hard really... toughest part is accessing the port (at least on a V8... not sure where the 6cyl port is...)

let me know if you still need pics - i'll take them.
Old 06-16-07, 08:47 AM
olddog
Pole Position

i need pics
Old 06-16-07, 09:33 AM
ksu1998
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jaja
dude - thats a serious gauge there.... mine was like $15 incl a big bottle of 134a.... should've taken pictures - i actually did it like 10 mins ago....

its not that hard really... toughest part is accessing the port (at least on a V8... not sure where the 6cyl port is...)

get this man some pics....I am stuck at work a little longer.
Old 06-16-07, 04:27 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

Name:  wheretogo.jpg
Views: 18990
Size:  44.4 KB

here is the port you want to use.

1. so go buy a recharge kit from wal-mart it will grab around the nipple deal under the grey cap that I circled.

2. connect the freon hose/clamp.

3. start car A/C on high

4. begin to spray in freon and just watch the dial.

I dropped my camera as you can see so you need to send me about $85 so I can buy a new one...lol

D
Old 06-16-07, 04:29 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

ham sandwich .......I just noticed you were a GS300. Well look for the grey cap it will not have a "H" on it. You are looking for the (Low) pressure side.
Old 06-16-07, 06:14 PM
olddog
Pole Position

nice thanks man.
i see a cap that has a H on it. am guessing that stands for hih pressure.
i will get the freon tomorrow. but am still concerned on when to stop th flow into the system.
how do i know when its enough.
is there a level i need to look at?
thanks for your help and patience
olddog
Old 06-17-07, 05:47 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jaja

Yeah, that gauge is a bit expensive, i was only using it as a reference though. However, the difference between that gauge and the one that comes with the bottle is huge.

The bottle gauge is used for servicing and seeing how much freon pressure is in the system, this is a great bargain if you have a small leak and just need to service your system.

The expensive gauge is actually more for the technician who is troubleshooting the system. It allows you to read pressure drops, freon pressure, vacuum if you are evacuating the system etc.

From the looks of it, I think olddog would be just fine with the bottle/gauge.
Hope this info. helps anyone who was curious

Flavio- Flaveslex
Old 06-18-07, 11:54 AM
Olu
Pole Position

Okay, I've been waiting for my AC to die. It was diagnosed with a condensor leak about 3 months ago and Lexus wanted over $2000 to replace it. Since I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep the car I decided to see how long until it needed a refill. Well 3 months later and it was on the brink of dying.

After reading this thread I decided to have a go at it. This is just a hair more difficult then pumping gas or filling up your washer fluid.

Go to PEP boys or local auto-shop. I purchased an Interdynamics (iD) freon refill kit. Comes with 2 bottles and a hose with a gauge attached.

Turn the car on and crank the AC.

Find the port with the big "L" on it. Unscrew it.

On this kit the attachment has an outer ring back that you pull back, then it engages automatically. The 1st time I didn't push down hard enough

The gauge is pretty self-explanatory. You want to be in the blue zone. Green is too low, Yellow and Red is too high. My was in the Green. All you do is fill it until it's back in the blue zone.

On this kit, you only get readings when you stop injecting so stop frequently when you start getting near the yellow zone.

Took my less then 5 minutes in my work clothes.
Old 06-24-07, 09:21 AM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by olddog
nice thanks man.
i see a cap that has a H on it. am guessing that stands for hih pressure.
i will get the freon tomorrow. but am still concerned on when to stop th flow into the system.
how do i know when its enough.
is there a level i need to look at?
thanks for your help and patience
olddog

dude i found the "L" low pressure cap. where did you find the "H" high pressure cap? I can't find it, and the kit says i gotta install both the "L" and "H" fittings before i start charging the system.
Old 06-25-07, 10:41 AM
jaja
Pole Position

gs3.0 - you must have gotten a pretty nice kit then mine only attaches to the low pressure side...

on the V8 the high pressure is right in front of the condensor/radiator behind the grill.

sounds like that the 6cyl location may be different. hopefully someone on the board can help.

good luck - its worth it - wife loves the new refreshed a/c...

also - white you're at it you may want to change the air filter behind the glove compartment. i got a blitz one from japan from like 3,000 yen i think ($25 roughly...) if that is clogged your a/c will not be as effective...
Old 06-25-07, 03:42 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Mine's actually not that fancy. Its a R12a a/c recharge kit from www.redtek.com. it only hooks up to the "L" low pressure fitting, but i wanted to change the fittings on both the "L" and "H" since it came with both fittings anyway.

Btw, i also have the Blitz filter which i got from Luis at Carson Lex.
Old 06-25-07, 04:12 PM
jaja
Pole Position

maybe someone can help me out, but do we have R12a in the US? haven't seen it in any auto parts stores....

as for changing the fittings - you may have to completely exhaust the gas inside the system already (I think thats what you have to do to go from R-12 to R-134a....)

bottom line - it may be my ignorance, but not sure if the R-12a is a good idea. I did a quick google about it and sounds like the stuff is pretty combustible / dangerous. But then again I'm no A/C gas expert, so maybe some other folks can jump in on this subject.

Sorry if I sound negative - just don't want you to make a mistake...
Old 06-16-08, 12:10 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Question

is this what you guys have been using to "recharge" your AC systems?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...goryCode=3571B

"This recharging kit from Interdynamics is compatible with all R-134A systems and makes it easy to get your air conditioner back in shape. The jumbo 19-ounce can contains 16 ounces of R-134A refrigerant and 3 ounces of lubricant, including a cleaner, o-ring conditioner, and leak sealer. Not only does it bring your refrigerant levels back to normal, but its additives and cleaners seal and prevent many leaks, keep delicate o-rings from drying and cracking, and ensure that your compressor has the right amount of oil."
Old 06-16-08, 03:22 PM
jaja
Pole Position

ya looks right, just did it in the spring. and one note - this is not something that is consumed. (to my understanding) if ur filling this stuff up every spring (like me ) there is another problem (like leaking). my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: how to add freon to a/c system