GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Where did all of the veteran CL'ers go

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 08:55 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Mark I think it happens some but I think a lot of this opinion may be based on your personal experience with your car over the years. There are a lot of people (not just OGs) who don't like Lambo doors on anything that doesn't come with it... It - like several other topics - can be very polarizing. I recall a lot of OGs back several years ago weren't too polite when you put your doors on (and with your prior chrome rims)

Honestly I didn't think I would ever like them until I saw them on your car either - but in combination with great paint and new wheels . On their own with OEM paint and the old wheels, not my style. Your car has improved dramatically over the years IMO.

Finding the right way to express dislikes and to offer alternatives is tough to do. Most of the 'over the line' posts expressing distaste are from new members, not the OGs. Same thing if someone is asking about questionable low budget mods (cutting springs for example) - they're going to get an earful; but an earful of good advice for the most part. Some of the OGs who are no longer around were brutal in their responses on similar topics 'back in the day'. Made for good comedy and drama, but not good for the community.

I've personally never seen any of the issue with income level you mention... We've had kids for years on CL with the 2GS, we will until they're all in the great junkheap in the sky. PM me some links of examples if you would.

As a previous poster said, many of the OGs have sold their 2GS and moved on to newer models. I may be approaching that crossroads myself with the GS (already have with my LS400)... Most of them still stick around and read and sometimes reply, but with nearly none years of history on our cars in this forum and the previous CL forum from 1990/2000 there aren't a whole lot of 'new mods' that folks haven't seen before - just taking things to the next level as you have done yourself .
Dave is one of the more patient and polite veterans on this forum - which is why he makes such a good moderator - LOL!

I have simple reasons - they may be blunt but that's how I am:
1) People posting desparate responses for help - get the help, then never followup and let everyone know what happened for other people's education.
2) 90% threads are about dubs and how they look - some even with the guts to demand pics without using the search function first...
3) 100% of the time someone posts on that same thread to "lower the car"
4) The rest of the posts are on Taillight or headlight modding.
5) "Slammed on dubs" is "sick", but nice 18's with a good ride height is boring...
6) People still buying SRT stuff...
7) People posting as if they are "experts" on the GS without really giving props to the veterans who already crossed that same path years ago...
8) As on any forum, stuff gets recycled....and recycled...and recycled....

Sorry, I sound like a grouch....well, at least I still lurk...
Old 06-10-07, 08:59 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just look at it like, as the classes grow with students it just means we have more to teach..
Old 06-10-07, 09:52 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There still here just send them a pm
Old 06-10-07, 11:10 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm certainly nowhere near the lines of a vet. It was around this time last year that I joined CL and man it's been great. I always been a car lover since I was a kid and it took off to a new level when I picked up a GS, the car that I said to myself several years ago that I wanted to own. The things that I exchanged and put into that car have been a good feeling since I've never did nothing at all to my previous cars. I've learned a whole bunch by using the search button first of course and reading many other posts on the forums. I credit all whether if it's the vets, the mods, or the guy who just registered a week ago. Man I've reached new highs by owning this car and being a member on this forum. Unless times fall hard for me, I can't see myself owning less than a luxury car with a LS hopefully in the future. As some of you know I had an accident which left my GS in a total wreck. I'm in process of getting another GS to get back in the game. I don't know if I'll reach the status of "veteran" but it doesn't matter. Probably won't though. As for the question "Where did all the veteran CL'ers go?', I'm not really sure. With life there comes change. I remember years back I use to chat online a lot. I've grown out of it and now I read and post to forums like CL. As somebody mentioned already, maybe they modded their cars to the point where's there's not really much more they can or wanna do to it. I enjoy seeing the pics especially from meets and shows that you guys post. I know that a lot of the mods that I see and hear about will not be done to my car. And it's not that I don't like them, it's just something I don't see doing to my car probably because I'm getting older. But we got lots of good people here who have shared a wealth of info for us all and that's something we should all keep in mind whether if your a vet or not. Think about it, the next set of vets are in the making here.
Old 06-10-07, 12:55 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Instead of saying we don't like it, like the Manarays did..
Man.. That’s so true. Manaray would really lay it on you if he didn’t like something about your car.. I do remember that.

As you can see, I have been a member on here for some time as well. I've spent most of my time lurking or should I say learning. Since I moved down south in 01 I did not have the immediate resources that I use to..(Mechanics, parts, ect.) so I relied on the forums. I can say I have truly learned alot here on CL. Especially from the OGs posts back in the days. Were some of them a bit harsh when It comes to judging a fellow members cars? I would say yes, however, they knew their stuff and could answer any question without hesitation. For that I say thank you and I will continue to be a member on this site as long as I continue to buy Lexus's (which will be forever )
Old 06-11-07, 09:10 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
I am by no means a "veteran," but I definitely don't post as much as I used to. I still sign on to CL every night and read the posts, and if there's something I can add that will help out a newbie, I'll go ahead and post. Otherwise, I seem to be just doing a lot of reading lately.

e
ditto. just like eric said, i mainly just read what the new guys have to say and contribute whenever i can.
Old 06-11-07, 09:54 PM
MarkMacGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OG's?

I got one word for you folks who have been around here a while

ROBSNEAK!!!!

LOL...he was the funniest guy ever! Well until of course he got banned.