GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 Starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 06:08 PM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely get both the timing belt and water pump replaced at the same time. It makes no sense to pay double labor if you are unlucky enough to have the water pump fail on you shortly after a timing belt change. As for the starter, I suggest finding a reliable mechanic that does side jobs if you are not too familiar with this kind of work. I got a guy replace the starter for $100 in labor. Sure I could have figured it out, but if you can find a reliable mechanic (RELIABLE being the key word) who will do it for around that price, it doesn't make sense to spend 4+ hours trying to decipher those diagrams.
Old 06-19-07, 07:22 PM
lex4
Rookie

HI!

But it's the satisfaction you get when you do it yourself, even if you make errors during the process.
Plus, you put a lot of TLC when its your car.

Alex
Old 06-19-07, 07:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lex4
HI!

But it's the satisfaction you get when you do it yourself, even if you make errors during the process.
Plus, you put a lot of TLC when its your car.

Alex

We need more people like you! The feeling of knowing you worked on your own car is great. I like doing mods to my car and telling me people I installed it. It makes me proud of my own work
Old 06-19-07, 07:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Hi GS teg!

So I assume that the timing belt would be the most complicated part of the water pump replacement.

Alex
I'm not sure if I would attempt a timing belt change on my own. If I remember correctly, VVTi (forum member) mentioned something about an error in the lexus manual that could throw the camshaft position off, which could only lead to one thing..
Old 06-20-07, 08:35 AM
lex4
Rookie

Hi GSteg!

Now you are scaring me, I think I'll get a mechanic for those items
Thanks

Alex
Old 06-20-07, 08:44 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg

We need more people like you! The feeling of knowing you worked on your own car is great. I like doing mods to my car and telling me people I installed it. It makes me proud of my own work
Do not get me wrong, I love working on my car. But when you weight how long it may take you to do something you have never done versus how much your time is worth and realize that you can get it done by a professional for a good price, it just makes sense. Yeah, if the only quote I got was the $1,200 from the dealership, I would have banged it out myself. But when a certified mechanic offers to do it for $100...why spend hours on it when my time is worth more? The same guy offered to change my timing belt and waterpump for $200. I will be getting that done when I get my parts from Sewell

BTW, I will be changing my ball joints and tie rods on my '99 GS4 when they come in from Sewell. Its got 125K miles, and I am not sure if they have ever been replaced, so I can't wait to do it and gain that peace of mind...the peace of mind that I wont have my ball joint separate, my front tire collapse and my car flip if I'm doing 80 on the highway. I will be posting a DIY with Pics and Instructions once I am done. I know there is a DIY for ball joints out there, but this one will be specifically for the GS
Old 06-20-07, 12:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
Do not get me wrong, I love working on my car. But when you weight how long it may take you to do something you have never done versus how much your time is worth and realize that you can get it done by a professional for a good price, it just makes sense. Yeah, if the only quote I got was the $1,200 from the dealership, I would have banged it out myself. But when a certified mechanic offers to do it for $100...why spend hours on it when my time is worth more? The same guy offered to change my timing belt and waterpump for $200. I will be getting that done when I get my parts from Sewell
If you can get it for a cheap price, by all means go for it. If I could get deals like that, I'd go for it myself!

The only time I went to get my car done at the shop was when my starter died and it was raining hard that weekend (i did not have the parts/garage) and I needed the car the next morning, and when I had to change my engine mount. I didn't have a lift so I couldn't lift my engine up . Other than that, free self-labor is better than paying, at least for me I love a good workout
Old 06-22-07, 08:57 AM
lex4
Rookie

Hi!

The thing about getting it done cheap by someone you don't really know a lot is that you may get what you paid for, not much.

Alex
Old 06-25-07, 06:51 AM
lex4
Rookie

Hi GSteg!

You mentioned that you are interested in modifications and have done some on your car, how about a picture of your car? Are they pretty involved or are they fairly simple?

Alex
Old 06-25-07, 07:11 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Hi!

The thing about getting it done cheap by someone you don't really know a lot is that you may get what you paid for, not much.

Alex
I will agree with this, but if you know the person and know that they do quality work, then it takes the uncertainty out of it. And when I get any work done by someone I don't know, I make sure to be right there next to them. It keeps them on their toes and if you demonstrate some knowledge of what they are doing, they are less likely to take shortcuts when you are around. But you are right, without the proper research, you may end up getting what you pay for.
Old 06-27-07, 12:13 PM
lex4
Rookie

Hi GSteg!

Don't be so modest! I'm just curious to see what a modification might do for my car. I believe I have the same model and year as you.

Alex
Old 07-01-07, 11:27 AM
lex4
Rookie

Where is my old buddy GSteg? You did say you do modifications? My question is:
What is the most easiest and least expensive modification that one can make generating the most desirable result, whether it's aesthetically, performance, or audio?

Alex
Old 07-01-07, 11:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Oh sorry. I didn't see this thread!

I mostly took out my mods because I didn't drive my car as hard as I should!

Here are the list of mods I still have/had:

LS430 projector retrofit (still have)
Daizen steering rack bushing (still have)
Tein Front strut bar
Daizen sway bars
TRD sway bar
L-tuned springs (still have)
KYB shocks (still have)
01+ taillights (still have)
Borla Exhaust (still have)
K&N Intake
SRT Intake
Roof spoiler
Various audio mods (still have)

Pretty much it I'm going for a supercharger or a turbocharger in the future. Plus I'm going to get my exhaust piping redone.

But my favorite mod so far has to be the Daizen steering rack bushing and the borla exhaust. The bushing made my steering much more precise, and the borla opens up the V8 rumble. It's OEM quiet when cruising, but you hear a deeper growl when you accelerate. These two mods I will never get rid of. Steering rack bushing was $40, the borlas were $300.

if you haven't gotten the steering rack bushings yet, I would highly recommend it. No one I know has said anything bad about the bushing. My daily driving became much more fun with it. Definitely worth the price!!

Last edited by GSteg; 07-01-07 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-01-07, 11:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Here is my picture as requested.

My car stock when I first bought it:

Here it is right now (missing roof spoiler):

And my radio:

As you can see, I like the stockish look. Just a simple drop and a few cosmetic stuff to freshen up the car.
Old 07-04-07, 06:34 PM
lex4
Rookie

Hi GSteg!

Nice looking car!!!! Very nice.
The radio, It's not a Nakamichi?
How about the rack for the steering, don't forget my car is a 99 GS400.
In the sheme of things where is it located and how difficult is it to put it in?
NICE CAR you have!!!!!

Alex

Quick Reply: GS400 Starter